FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 48>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Tom Lawrence
    Posted: 2/15/13 at 10:21am

I figured I’d jump in here, if anything for the comic relief of my attempts to head north of NOOB.

Let’s see, background data:

Height / Weight:  5’9” / 196

Weightlifting experience:  >20 years = seen it, done it, probably been injured by it.

Highland Games experience:  1 year = still a danger to myself and others.

Advantages:  love doing this, no ego to speak of, have all my own implements, good access to decent gym, probably strong by “regular people” standards.

Challenges (not excuses):  not a particularly large man, deteriorated rotator cuffs, right bicep tendonitis, not so strong by “highland athlete” standards.

Near term competition goals:  actually turn a caber, actually clear the bar with 56# WOB, actually clear the bar with a sheaf, everything else just needs go farther than it has been.

Current programming: 

Lifting – Wendler 5/3/1.  January 2013 I did a big reset and concentrated on fixing things in my technique.  February 2013, switched from Triumvirate Assistance plan to Boring-But-Big (BBB) plan.  I am now inescapably embracing TROB’s recent brilliant turn of phrase, “Hurting from hair down.”

Supplemental / Conditioning – toddler prowlers (more on this in a future post), Ashtanga Yoga, kettlebell swings, raising two young kids, grip work.

Throwing – uh… yeah, I should do more of this.  Kinda the point after all…

Standby to standby.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/13 at 11:58am
I've been inspired! I think I will start a training log today. Up till now I have been too afraid.
Welcome to the training log Tom. I look forward to seeing your progress.
Good luck in all of you future training and games. Smile
Old enough to know better. Still too young to care.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/13 at 1:12pm
Thanks Glenn.  Just doing it for the accountability and feedback.

Week of 2/11/13 – 2/15/13

Monday

AM – got a tooth filled

PM – got a full yearly physical done.  PSA normal.  Testosterone a bit low.  Hmmm… need more bacon and eggs.  Did some grip work.

Tuesday

Early AM – Ashtanga Yoga Surya Namaskara A x3

Mid-day –

OHP 1x5@55, 1x5@65, 1x3@85, 1x5@100, 1x5@105, 1x7@115, 5x10@65

Dips 3x10@BW

Hanging Leg Raises 2x5 – just got right bicep well enough to be able to hang

Foam rolling before bed.

Wednesday

Early AM – Ashtanga Yoga Surya Namaskara A x5

Mid-day –

Dead Lift 1x5@135, 1x5@160, 1x3@190, 1x5@240, 1x5@255, 1x7@270, 5x10@160

14,795 total pounds lifted.  Yeahhh!  I am Conan!

Shrugs 3x15@230

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

Thursday

Early AM –

Yesterday’s dead lifts inform Conan's back that he might wish to take up golf instead.  Maybe try for the Olympics. 

Ashtanga Yoga Surya Namaskara A x5

Foam rolling, humbly at that.

Mid-day –

Bench Press  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@155, 1x5@170, 1x5@185, 1x7@195, 5x10@115

Kroc Rows 2x5@55, 1x20@55  I know I need to do better.  I'm babying that right bicep.

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

Friday

Early AM – nada

Mid-day –

Squat  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@140, 1x5@175, 1x5@185, 1x7@200, 5x10@115

Need to wash the Rehbands.  They are only days away from becoming self-aware.

Abs

Foam rolling due before bed tonight.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/13 at 6:26am
Saturday and Sunday (2/15 - 2/16)
Spent the weekend moving lumber, dirt, and children.  Fulfilling and strengthening, but the most rigid program.  Ready to kill it this week.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/13 at 12:12pm
Monday
55# kettlebell swings to warm up -- one set of 20 both hands, one set of 10 with each hand.  Need to do more.

16# stone - threw a few toes-to-board style and a few Braemar style.  Tried to do some glides and the honest truth is that I'm just an uncoordinated man.  Need a LOT more practice.  Best throw was 24'.

22# stone -- this is the size of Blairsville's open stone.  Same drills as above and a best throw of 23', which beats my distance at last year's games by almost two feet.  Not a bad way to start considering the only way I could be more rusty is if you colored me orange.

20# sheaf -- well it went up every time and I didn't tear a bicep tendon.  This is significantly better than is has been.   Getting a feel for it at least.

Starting small, but starting anyway. 

Full Ashtanga Yoga practice later tonight.  Working on that coordination thing.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/13 at 10:04pm
Tuesday

Biology and the prejudices of others kept me gym-less today... so I threw instead.

LWD
2 x standing throws
8 x full movement throws.  Gotta keep practicing until I stop thinking about where my feet are going and start thinking about where the weight is going.
Best of the day = 26' which beats my distance at the 2012 Blairsville Games by over a foot.  Not too shabby.

Hammer
3 x 1 wind = best 33'
3 x 2 winds = best 39.5'.  Not a PR in general, but one with this homemade hammer by 6 feet!
6 x 3 winds = best 39'  all in the first three throws which landed each within a foot laterally of the other.  The last three throws were the same but about two feet shorter.

Ye olde training log:

Actually one of my farmer's carry logs, but it's handy for chalking figures on while throwing.

Just finished Ashtanga practice, and my focus was terrible; but, I got through it.  Need to foam roll and call it a day.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/13 at 1:42pm

Week of 2/18/13 – 2/22/13

Nasty <snuck> head cold all week <snuck>

Wednesday

Mid-day –

Dead Lift 1x5@135, 1x5@160, 1x3@190, 1x3@255, 1x3@275, 1x5@285, 5x10@160

Shrugs 3x15@230

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

Thursday

Mid-day –

Bench Press  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@155, 1x3@185, 1x3@195, 1x4@205, 5x10@115

Kroc Rows 2x5@60, 1x20@60  Getting better here.

Abs

Grip work and foam rolling before bed.

Friday

Mid-day –

Squat  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@140, 1x3@185, 1x3@200, 1x7@210, 5x10@115

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

I gotta say, thanks to my fellow NASGeezers who turned me on to foam rolling a couple of weeks ago.  It's amazing how effective it is!  In addition, I have been using a lacrosse ball on the troublesome right bicep tendons, and they have made more progress toward healing in the last two weeks then in the previous six months. 

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/13 at 7:46pm
Saturday
My back field is a mud trap right now so I did some sheafin' in the driveway with my 20# potato sack sheaf.   Best guess is that I was throwing about 10 feet, but from the bit that I filmed I have it on good authority that my technique is decent.  I just need more practice.

I also have a 16# bag on order with Jason, so I'm looking forward to trying that when it gets here.  In the mean time KiltBill gave me some ideas for drills.

Sunday
Got out right before sunset and threw WOB and LWFD (both homemade implements).
  • WOB 6x right hand and 2x left hand (just because).  I'm guessing I'm throwing about 8 feet, but the trajectory is excellent.  Considering I had never even cleared head height with the implement until about a week before the Blairsville Games last year, I'm thrilled. 
  • LWFD 2x single turns and 6x full turns.  I find I need both turns to get the momentum needed to do the throw right now.  The breakthrough tonight was that I was able to get the arc adjusted so that I'm throwing a lot more up than I was before.  I also think I'm starting to get a feel for letting the weight pull me around like it's supposed to.

Ashtanga practice and foam rolling before bed.  Chiropractor tomorrow.  We'll see if she notices anything different from all the foam rolling I have been doing.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/25/13 at 7:41pm
Monday

Took the day off from training.  My chiropractor also happens to be an advanced martial artist, so my visit today can be summarized as a sound beating by a large blond woman.

The upshot is that the myofascial release I have been doing on my right bicep tendons has helped so much that she's impressed and waived off any other treatment besides some soft tissue manipulation.  I also have my back and neck slightly torqued out of place from the recent throwing so she put things back where they are supposed to be.  I asked her if I should lay off throwing and she said, "Absolutely not.  You'll have to do it sooner or later, so you might as well get it done while we're following you and fixing the weak points as we go."  Were I not a married man....

The down side is that I'm in significant pain from the adjustment, so I will limit my conditioning to foam rolling tonight and that's it.  Time to catch up on the UFC157 recording I made.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
C Cook View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C Cook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/01/13 at 9:24pm
Tom,
I'm getting together with a couple of guys on Monday to throw in Blue Ridge about 4:00pm. Weather forecast looks good for now. If interested, give me a call.  828-735-2953.

Chris
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/13 at 12:30pm
Chris -- PM sent.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/13 at 12:54pm

Week of 2/25/13 – 3/1/13

Monday

Chiropractor abuse.

Tuesday

Mid-day –Compressed workout due to time

Dead Lift 1x5@135, 1x5@160, 1x3@190, 1x5@240, 1x3@270, 1x5@285

New DL calculated 1RM = 332

OHP 1x5@55, 1x5@65, 1x3@80, 1x5@100, 1x3@115, 1x4@125

New OHP calculated 1RM = 141

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

Wednesday

Went shooting.  Decided I need to save up to buy a Beretta Nano.

Thursday

Mid-day –

Bench Press  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@135, 1x5@170, 1x3@195, 1x4@215, 5x10@115

New BP calculated 1RM =243

Kroc Rows 2x5@65, 1x20@65 per side.  Getting better hear

Abs

Foam rolling before bed.

Friday

Mid-day –

Squat  1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x3@140, 1x5@175, 1x3@200, 1x6@220, 5x10@115

New Squat calculated 1RM =264

Rehab curls with a 20 lb straight bar.

Abs

Progress is progress, no matter how slow.

Edited by TomLawrence - 3/03/13 at 9:50am
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/13 at 4:27pm
Sunday 3/3/13

20# Sheaf Practice
Threw about ten times including some snatch-from-the-right-foot drills.  Best guess is that I am throwing about 12 feet and the bag is generally coming down right behind me.  Chalk that up to training tips that KiltBill gave me.  Thumbs Up

How do you guys make your own standards, or practice without them?  I'm guessing I'd clear a bar, but I'd rather not guess if I can help it.

Comic event of the day happened when the stitching on my sheaf caught one of the lace hooks on my right boot and I tried to throw myself with the fork.  Embarrassed

O-stone Practice
16#  3xBraemar style with a best throw of 23' 7"
16# 3xspinning with a best throw of 19'  This was my first try at spinning and it didn't suck as bad as I thought it would.

20# 3x Braemar style with a best throw of 22' 8"
20# tried the KiltBill / AlanH "Crow Hop" style with a best throw of 24' 9"  Well whadya know?

Back to 16# with the "Crow Hop" style and a new best throw of 25' 4"!  Now we're cooking!

I think I'll stick with the "Crow Hop" and keep working on spins, but a 2' improvement across the board is pretty darn good for a first try.

Really dang cold outside.  Ready for some warmer weather.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
BrittneyBoswell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrittneyBoswell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/13 at 5:14pm
We use a baseball field backstop or tennis court fence at the local high school to check sheaf throws.
Highland Games - The drama is so high, because the stakes are so low.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/13 at 7:13pm
Excellent idea!  I wouldn't have come up with that on my own, so I'm glad I asked.

Thanks Brittney.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/13 at 8:03am
Looking good Tom. I can't do a full spin either. The stone either comes off my neck and I rip my arm off or I almost fall on my face. I throw open better with a crow hop but I have been working on one that is a partial spin and it's not too bad.
My standards are made of chain link fence top rail.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/13 at 8:21am
Thanks Glenn.

This is a deload week at the gym, so not much to report from the weight room.

I ended up with very sore neck muscles after Sunday's throwing.  I don't know if it was the sheaf or the stones, but I'm guessing it will get better with time, practice, and strengthening.  To paraphrase something one of the pros (might have been Craig) told me when I was first starting out, "There's no amount of not throwing that will make you a better thrower.  Now get out there and throw."

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/05/13 at 8:40pm
Not really an update, but more of a mini-rant.  My regular gym is shut down for the week for remodeling, so I went to another where get a pass.  It was exactly what Brooks Kubick calls "fern and chrome land" in his book Dinosaur Training.  Holy crap what a shiny plastic house.  It even had those plastic-coated octagonal plates.  Felt like putting chalk on everything just so it wouldn't all look so new!

Did deload levels of OHP, some dips, hanging leg raises, abs.  Nothing useful to report.

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/13 at 8:27pm
Deload continues.
Dead lifts 3 sets of 5 @ 135, 165, and 195
Good mornings 3 sets of 5 @ 95
Hang Cleans 3 sets of 5 @ 65.  Just working on the motor plan.  I need to work these into my program as assistance exercises if I can get the movement nailed down.

Practiced o-stone spins in the kitchen while cooking quesadillas tonight, and it scared the bejeebus out of my two-year old, Roland.  He thought Daddy was having some kind of problem.  That tells me I'm still at the buffoon end of the spectrum rather than the beast end of the spectrum!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/13 at 8:31pm
"It was exactly what Brooks Kubick calls "fern and chrome land" in his book Dinosaur Training. Holy crap what a shiny plastic house. It even had those plastic-coated octagonal plates. Felt like putting chalk on everything just so it wouldn't all look so new!"

Do it...and let the English see you do it.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/13 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Do it...and let the English see you do it.

You take out the Stairmasters and I'll meet you in the middle!

Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/07/13 at 2:39pm
Thursday 3/7
Deload week continues in "fern and chrome land"

Bench press 1x5@95, 1x5@115, 1x5@135
CG press 3x10@95
Shrugs 2x20@225
Some kind of row thing that they have instead of a T-bar 2x20@some 45's on it.

There's still snow on the ground at home, but I did see a big ball of fire in the sky today that I vaguely recognize as the Sun.  It's supposed to be warm and pretty this weekend, so hopefully I can go try Brittney's baseball backstop suggestion at the park.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/13 at 7:27am
Tom, I made my sheaf tower out of a 16' cattle gate spilt length wise in half. If you have the room and are interested let me know and I'll take some close up pictures.
Remember Kay Cummings, Father of the Highland Games in the Southeast and my friend. Lets Go Run With The Big Dogs!
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/13 at 8:44am
PM sent, Bill.
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/13 at 12:09pm
Friday 3/8  No idea why I updated every day this week.  Guess I'm just lonely. Confused

Last day of deload:
Squats 95x5, 115x5, 145x5
Rehab curls with a 20# straight bar 2x15
Calf raises on seated plate-loadable LifeFitness monkeybars 2x20@145
Back hypers 2x15

Looking forward to throwing tomorrow.  I have new stuff to try!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/13 at 8:27pm
Saturday, 3/9/13

Packed up the truck and drove out to Meeks Park (which coincidentally is where the Blairsville games are held each June).  It wasn't raining for the first time in a while, so the park was full of people.  Good to see and good to expose community to some HG training.

20# homemade sheaf by a softball backstop.  5 bottom up drills from my right boot, 10 full throws, and 5 more bottom up drills.  I had the camera sitting on the ground so it's shot from this weird German cinema kind of angle.  I believe each panel in the backstop is 8', so the whole thing is then 16'.  Looking at where I'm hitting puts me at throwing 12'-13' which is about right for where I am right now.  The good news is that I'm hitting the fence hard enough that I believe I would be clearing a bar at that height.  Critiques are welcome if you can decipher the Deutsch angle.

Heavy Hammer in a different softball field making some divots in right field.  3 x full winds with no release, followed by 11 throws.  I sweet-talked a lady nearby into filming one of them for me from the other side of the fence, and it happened to be the best throw of the day.  41' which is a PR for my homemade hammer.  Critiques please!

One of my throws went off angle because I over-turned on release, and one skipped the ground at the low point on my third wind and went short.  All the other throws hit in a very small area. 

Precision...  I has it:

Training Log Addendum:
Little Duncan completed a half-mile during his training today.  This is a PR for him.

New video soon!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 7:41pm
Sunday, 3/10

As cool and fun as yesterday's practice was, today was awful.  I just couldn't get my body sorted out today -- weak, uncoordinated, off-balance, and dizzy.  Those days happen, and I am banking that I did enough useful things that I'll get stronger in spite of the failures. 

LWFD -- about twenty throws.  Only three of them were fair with the longest only 24'.  All the rest were either no-release or egregious fouls.  It was one of those practices where I was just a mess all over the approach and felt like the weight was throwing me.  Gonna let it go and do better next time.

Caber (14', 130 pounds) -- five attempts with no successful picks.  I'm going to make a 16' 2x6 Matt Vincent Special later this week to get more length with less weight.  Then I'll work up to the full 20' version eventually.

Spent the rest of my practice time re-welding my 56# homemade weight.  I busted one of the plates loose the last time I threw WOB.  It's ugly, but 6011 electrodes are cheap.  I love the smell of burning flux and steel in the morning.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:20pm
Tom,
From one noob to another. On sheaf keep your arms straighter. The left arm should not bend at all. Swing back farther and drive hard to the right foot before checking. watch some of Mckims sheaf tosses you will see that he cranks his right arm back so far it is almost straight up. Your block at the shoulder is good but you need more speed. My best throws happen when I focus on driving hard off the right leg and blocking on the left.
On hammer, maybe a little more hip and knee motion and keep your low point of orbit to the right. Beware of the start. In this video I see that you are not lifting the hammer till it gets to your left foot. That sets your low point to far to the left then you corrected it on your second turn and the last turn it was to the left again. focus on popping the hammer up with long arms at the start. your low point of orbit will migrate to the left no matter what you do so start it pretty far to the right.
The release looks pretty good to me. Nice long arms and an open chest.

Did you weld your plates together on your hammer? I made one with no welds and I got 10 throws out of it Cry
wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:29pm

wsciscoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wsciscoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/13 at 9:35pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 48>
  Share Topic