Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Interview with Adam Nelson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interview with Adam Nelson
    Posted: 2/13/12 at 7:54am
I thought this might be interesting to some people:

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/22/12 at 11:45am

Interested in hearing some of Dylan's lifting numbers. I have heard rumors of his incredible strength. Have you any insight, Peter?

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/12 at 3:32am
I do not have any direct knowlege, but I have seen an interview with Dylan in which he admittted he could Bench Press "about 600 pounds", although it is not clear if that was touch and go, with a significant bounce, or with a big bounce and a chest pad.  

I recall hearing his squat was about 800 pounds, although again the number was not specific and it was not at all clear how deep the squat was performed, which is significant. 

I do know that Dylan's previous coach also said he was already one of the strongest people on the planet when he began training with Bondarchuk, and Bondarchuk himself described Dylan as having "plenty of natural strength."   I understand that since joining Bondarchuk's group, Dylan's focus has been on "special strength" and, obviously, technique.  However, as stated, he already had excellent "general strength" at that point.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/24/12 at 6:12am
"Adam: Shot putters generate power through action. Hammer throwers generate power through patience. "

Perfectly distilled and barrel aged 100 proof truth right there.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/29/12 at 5:20am
Originally posted by Pingleton Pingleton wrote:

I do not have any direct knowlege, but I have seen an interview with Dylan in which he admittted he could Bench Press "about 600 pounds", although it is not clear if that was touch and go, with a significant bounce, or with a big bounce and a chest pad.  

I recall hearing his squat was about 800 pounds, although again the number was not specific and it was not at all clear how deep the squat was performed, which is significant. 

I do know that Dylan's previous coach also said he was already one of the strongest people on the planet when he began training with Bondarchuk, and Bondarchuk himself described Dylan as having "plenty of natural strength."   I understand that since joining Bondarchuk's group, Dylan's focus has been on "special strength" and, obviously, technique.  However, as stated, he already had excellent "general strength" at that point.

Further to this point, I was speaking with someone who is familiar with the general outline of Dylan's training, which I thought might interest some people.  As many of you will know, Dlayan has trained under Bondarchuk for some time know and Bondarchuk's lifting programs are quite different than most, with an empahsis on frequency, volume and very moderate weights lifted very quickly.  Despite reading a couple of his books and numerous articles, it is not a system that I really understand, frankly.  

In any case, as one would guess from someone training under Dr. B., Dylan never does full squats or paused benches etc., focussing on half-squats, bounce benches, Olympic lift variations, and who knows what else.  With the understanding that Dylan was already extremely strong when he began training with Dr B., he very rarely lifts heavy now and rarely if ever maxes out, even on his key lifts.  I believe that when Dylan was just 19 or 20 years old, he could already Power Clean 185kg, Power Snatch 140kg, and bench about 500 lbs. However, I was told that in the year or so prior to the last Olympics, Dylan never benched with over 300 pounds.   Even if this was really 315, or 330, or 335, this is very interesting for a shot putter of his strength and calibre.  I have previously read a first-hand account of Dylan performing bounce benches with a pad for reps using 200kg some time after joining Dr. B., so I cannot say exactly what he does or when.  

One key difference between Dylan and most other rotational shot putters is that like Dr. B's hammer throwers, he incorporates a lot of light and heavy shots in his training, all the way from 5 or 6kg to 10 or 11kg.  In addition, he takes A LOT of throws each week.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic