FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Lex Miller

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Lex Miller
    Posted: 1/31/12 at 7:56pm
I guess I'll adhere to the form in which everyone else posts training logs.  I think it makes my log look a little more important than it is...like..."OMG it's world famous slacker Lex Miller's log, I gotta check that out!"  Anyways...

TODAY - 01-31-12
Bench Press + Monster Mini Bands (+25-50lbs.)
205 x 6 x 6
215 x 5 x 5
225 x 3 x 3
235 x 2 x 2

and because I couldn't get on the forum yesterday for some reason...

YESTERDAY - 01-30-12
Box Squats + Monster Mini Band (+ 25-50lbs.)
225 x 5
275 x 4 x 4 x 4 x 4

Squats (no bands)
135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 3
335 x 3
345 x 2

There are more workouts and videos for both days too.
Well...I think I just unloaded so there it is folks!  Until the next workout of course...
Lex Miller View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/12 at 9:09am
Some SMR for Poops and Giggles...first time trying it.  I thought I was going to die!

My new foam roller is offically called "The Miller Squishy Deathstick of Death and Deadness"!
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/12 at 11:19am
I'm trying to work out that acronym....TMSDoDaD
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/12 at 11:17pm
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

I'm trying to work out that acronym....TMSDoDaD
HAHAHA!  It is a "do-dad" of sorts.  I was thinking more of a thing-a-ma-bob, but hey....

02-02-12 Power Training
CAVE OF STRENGTH

Dead Lift off 2nd Pin + Monster Mini (+25-50)
135 x 6
225 x 6
295 x 6
315 x 5
335 x 3 x 2
-SUMO-
225 x 8

Good times, good times.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/12 at 6:55pm
I threw a ton of open 16# stone today from my home.  Used my "driveway" stone.  I got a PR, but I feel like the gift horse is looking me in the mouth and saying, "You got a problem mutha trucker?!?!"  My form was vey bad for the video, and I PR'd after the battery ran out so I can't even analyze what was "right".

Session PR: 37' 3"
That moved me into 5th place for open stone if I had competed at last year's Lightweight Div. Champs.

There is the blog post on the workout that followed and some video of the practice session.  The workout was not great, but after a ton of throws I didn't need to hit it too hard.  Let me reprhase that...I couldn't hit it that hard.  I wanted to...
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/20/12 at 6:45pm
Wow...I am lame.  Really.  15 days of this damn injury and I still suck.

I squatted for the first time tonight in that time frame.  Actually it was the first time I did anything athletic in the last two weeks.  It was not pretty and it was not fun.  And it was not really good either.

Squat
bar x 10
135 x 10
225 x 5 x5

Couldn't do anything more.  My back started getting that old familiar funny feeling and I stopped.  I am a wuss. 

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/23/12 at 6:49am
Heavy Events Rehab: http://worldsstrongestscientist.blogspot.com/2012/02/02-22-12-heavy-events-rehab.html
It was good to throw some hammer...but I am not ok!  I have decided that the heavy hammer may have been what hurt my back, but I don't have any proof.

I threw 10-12 17# hammer tosses.

3 sets 5-6 winds then I jumped right to it.

I topped out at 65' with a less-than-good effort.  My limited flexibilty prevented me from working on all the aspects of technique I wanted...but I was able to focus on releasing and not trying to grunt out a throw!

Good note...down to 201.  If I can get down to 190 then I'll beef up a little to about 195-197.  Going to train some upper body lifts tonight for the first time in like a month.  It should be interesting.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/27/12 at 9:08am

02-24-12

Bench
w/ 25-50lbs. bands
bar x 20
135 x 15
205 x 4 x 4 x 4

Feeling very weak since I haven't been able to train.

my blog has the rest of the workout and the throws video plus something extra I'm working on.  Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am going to be recieving a call soon about scheduling an MRI to figure out what's fragging mylower  back up.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/28/12 at 3:42am
02-27-12

DISCLAIMER:  I am currently a 200 lbs. sack jello.  No laughing at my numbers while I rehab my back injury.  Please?

Squat
bar x 10
135 x 10
185 x 8
225 x 4
275 x 3

Unracked 315...thought better of it...and just practiced unracking it 6 times to get my back used to the compression.

Feel free to comment on my blog or here to help me out!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/02/12 at 6:56am
Here is the blog post of my recent lameness: http://worldsstrongestscientist.blogspot.com/2012/03/03-01-12-rehab-maxes-are-in-dont-get.html
Here is the v log for "The Rehabicles" : http://youtu.be/fomCdCWGH7o
Here's the workout:

WARM UP
-
7 minutes on the treadmill.
- Stretching lower and upper body.
- SMR Foam Roll low back, upper back, hamstrings, and IT band.

Cleans
bar x 10
135 x 6
185 x 1

Snatch
135 x 4

Push Press
135 x 6
185 x 2

Prone Leg Lifts
3 sets of 30 seconds

Hanging Leg Raises
2 sets of 10

Kneeling Ab Pull Down
Monster Mini Band x 20 x 20 x 20

NECK WORK
Posterior Flexion - 3 x 20
Lateral Flexion - 3 x 15
Anterior Flexion - 3 x 20
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/03/12 at 9:19pm
Bad throws.  But I did 6 of the 9, so it was a good workout for me since I have a bit of that old ring rust!

Not much.  Just throwing video.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/06/12 at 7:58am
03-05-12

First session of the rehab training program. Thanks to http://www.mattvincent.net for a great program. Worth every penny.

Here's my pathetic numbers...but the work done is what is counting right now.

SQUATS
bar x 10
135 x 6
135 x 6
160 x 10 x 3

BENCH
bar x 10
135 x 6
135 x 6
145 x 10 x 3

Open stone throws and the rest of it all is here: http://worldsstrongestscientist.blogspot.com/2012/03/03-05-12-pre-season-speed-training.html
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/20/12 at 9:13am
WHERE DID I GO?  Hmmm...it seems I disappeared for a while.  Update:  Back is still farked!  But getting better and I am feeling my strength returning.  Still utilizng Matt Vincent's Training Lab as a based for my program to recovery.  Goto my blog: http://worldsstrongestscientist.blogspot.com/2012/03/03-19-12-workout-updates-and-catch-ups.html
Here is the latest:

03-19-12 Workout Updates and Catch Ups!

I've done some workouts and such since the last post, and I think in order to keep from Linkbombing everyone each day I will just record a weekly workout training log and video log. Of course throwing videos will be updated more regularly...here's what's up:
03-16-12

HANG CLEANS
bar x 10
95 x 8
135 x 2 sets x 4 reps
155 x 6 sets x 2 reps

SNATCH
bar x 10
135 x 8 sets x 2 reps

Pull Overs
3 x 12

Incline Hammer Curls
3 x 10

Ab Wheel "Fleur de Lis"
3 sets of 3

03-19-12

SQUATS
bar x 10
135 x 8
190 x 4 sets x 3
205 x 4 sets x 2

BENCH
bar x 15
135 x 10
185 x 5 sets x 2
195 x 4 sets x 2

Good Mornings
3 x 10

Dumbell Lateral Raises
3 x 10

Kneeling Ab Pull Downs supersetted with Assisted Shoulder Retraction Push Ups
4 x 15 - superset - 4 x 15

Weighted Dips
3 x 15

Ab Bench
3 x 50

CARDIO: FINALLY!! Getting up to a jog without crippling PAIN! 20 minutes hills and intervals on the Treadmill.

Throwing from 3-19-12: http://youtu.be/7PJeuNwr2SQ">http://youtu.be/7PJeuNwr2SQ

Keep Moving Forward...I know I am!
Miller
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/21/12 at 8:35pm

03-21-12 Heavy Events + Overhead and Dead Lift Training

For some reason I am kicking this sh!t out of this injury today! I feel great! I PR in light weight for distance, and then I am able to jog on the treadmill with less pain...I feel that life is about to punk me for my lunch money...oh well, here is the workouts and such:

2 Videos, because the PR was too special to be lumped in with other throws.
Braemar, HWFD, WOB: http://youtu.be/UUxSy9V9ncE
LWFD PR: http://youtu.be/cWcI5eyWlxg

WORKOUT

Overhead Press
bar x 10
115 x 8
135 x 4 sets x 3 reps.
145 x 4 sets x 2 reps.

Dead Lift
bar x 10
135 x 8
185 x 4 sets x 2 reps.
205 x 4 sets x 2 reps.

Front Squats
bar x 8
135 x 6
205 x 4(REHAB PR).

Pull Ups
3 x 7

Single Arm Rows(KROC ROWS)
3 x 10 @ 70lbs.

CARDIO: 20 minutes jog intervals on the treadmill.

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/12 at 4:52pm
I'm back to vent, to cry, to be comforted and lifted, to make myself better, and to have an outlet for my inappropriate humor.

I felt revitalized a bit and starting maxing out for TRAINING LAB, then I forgot how much life gets in the way when you work the graveyard shift, but I have been working on it.

Maxes went as follows:

Front Squat = 225 x 5 for 260 max
Bench(with feet on bench) = 255 x 3 for 280 max
Overhead Press = 225 x 4 for 255 max

I am still a bit afraid of Deadlift and Barbell Snatch.

I decided to start with TRAINING LAB at Block 2 Cycle 1(I had been working on Block 1 Cycle 2 for about 3 months...so yeah...)

Tuesday 4th
Front Squat
bar x 8
135 x 5
200 x 5 x 5

Bench
bar x 8
135 x 6
215 x 5 x 5

Good Mornings
Overhead Tricep Extension

8k MED BALL
6 Overhead "catapult" throws 3 x 6
-Learned these when I was throwing Jav in college...love what they do for the core.

Thursday 6th
Overhead Press
bar x 10
135 x 5
195 x 5 x 5

Deadlift(based on previous max)
bar x 8
135 x 8
225 x 5
280 x 5 x 2
225 x 5 x 2
-Had to go down...back just ain't as good as it once was.

Weighted Pull Ups 4 x 8
Kroc Rows 3 x 12

8k MED BALL
Overhead Toss 3 x 6

Sunday 9th
Decided that I needed to max out on all lifts to really make this program work.

MAX OUT:  Cleans = 205 x 3 for 225 max

Then this is where a long first week(Sunday is my Friday) of graveyard shifts hit me.  I was gassed, tired, and mentally fried.  The day before I left work at 6am, drove an hour to take a life-altering test(my last two before I can student teach in Biology) for 3 hours, hour home...all the while taking energy supps and coffee - TOTALLY FRIED MY CNS and I seriously shivered/trembled all day long!  BUt such is life - the things we do for our dreams....and now you all say "What?  Your dream is to be a teacher?"  Yeah kinda lame that it has taken this long...

Anyways...going to try to throw some this week.  I haven't touched an implement in 3 months or more.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/12/12 at 1:29pm
9/11/12

Let's see...this is how I classify my workouts from TRAINING LAB:

B2C1W2D1 = Block 2, Cycle 1, Week 2, Day 1 ... got it?

So:

WARM UPS
7 Minute jog on the treadmill
Leg Swings
Stretches for hips and back

FRONT SQUATS
bar x 10
135 x 8
210 x 5 x 5

**FLOOR PRESS**
bar x 10
135 x 6
230 x 5 x 5

-super setted with-

38 DEGREE INCLINE D.B. PRESS
50lbs d.b. x 6 x 5

Yes I measured the angle...I am a friggin' future science teacher and have nerdy equipment and a little bit anal about such things.  If I could have gotten it to 42 degrees instead of 45 I would have been stoked.  This is the scientifically accepted otpimal angle for shot put(really...people do research on it!)  So at 38 I figured my chest would still be doing more work than at 45.

When I was popping near 40' O stones and 32' Braemars I did a good amount of inclines.  Why I stopped I can't remember.

Unfortunately I was planning on coming back and finishing the workout later as time was short during the day, but I developed a nasty sinus infection/headache/allergy thing so I flaked.  Yeah...

** The floor presses supersetted with the d.b. incline were new.  On the incline I could place my feet on the ground without pain.  And the floor press taxed my tri's as well as a super pump in my chest that I hadn't felt since I had to start putting my feet up when benching - so thank you all, you were right!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/14/12 at 6:15pm

B2C1W2D2: Push Press and Deads! plus some Throws Drills

Back in the gym today. Graveyards are taking their toll on me, but I push on. I decided to do some research and get back to throwing. As of right now I am (vicariously) under the tutelage of a World Champion for my TRAINING LAB program, and I am under the influence of Eastern European throwing drills from the old DRS and CCCP. HA! I am so worldly...here's what's really going on:
WARM UP
5 minute treadmill
Stretching
PUSH PRESS
bar x 12
135 x 7
205 x 5 x 2
205 x 4 x 3
-Workouts on no food are not recommended, but my bioclock is out of whack with these graveyard shifts. I fizzled out on the last three sets and have developed some pain in my left(non-throwing hand) thumb on these presses over the past few weeks. I should not be missing that 5th rep.
DEAD LIFT
135 x 8
225 x 5
275 x 5
295 x 5 x 3
-Felt good SON! Back not as bad as I once thought...but no need to look the gift horse in the mouth.
THROW DRILLS FROM THE DRS AND CCCP:
I found these gems on the internet a while back. Once I rediscover where I downloaded them from I will share with all of you. This program has groups of exercises for shot put. I mized and matched today, and they are somewhat hard to explain, so nothing too much to report. They felt good. Not pain free, but pain is a reminder that we are alive.
So...World Champ and Coolest Cat in the South Matt Vincent's TRAINING LAB and some ancient relics from long forgotten powerhouses Germany and the Soviet Union and hopefully this Scientist can once again proudly say "Strongest".

Keep Moving Forward,
Miller
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/12 at 1:54am
  Just a little throwing today.  I think I can make this "Sunday - let's have a pinic so daddy can throw in the park" a regular thing.  Still...Sunday is my Friday and my energy levels are not that great. 

That being said...I threw LWFD today for the first time since the Woodland Games in April.  I stretched and warmed up then got to a progression that went like this:

Standing - 5 throws
1 spin - 5 throws
2 spins - 10-15 throws

My standing throws felt good and reminded my body what to do.  My single spin throws were good as well, as I think my cast is just about where it needs to be.  Considering I threw 38'4" at Woodland, a 35'+ single spin had me a little more enthusiastic about my time on the field today.  Then I had some major issues with 2 spins.  I could not hold the weight as I kept shooting the little bastard out of the vector.  I had two different gloves that let me down...so I said F it and went bareback on the little bugger and finally got some throws into the field.  Pretty much all around 40' with one popping out to 41'6".  A Personal Best(PB's are for practice, PR's are for comp).  I was working on slowing my first turn from the cast and then really accelrating into the second turn and then finishing at a good angle for release.  If you watch my Woodland film I had good technique(as the judge kept telling me), but both turns were the same slow agonizing speed.  Rebuilding those callouses on my throwing hand was my crowning achievement today...Clap!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/12 at 6:17pm

B2C1W3D1: Front Squattin' and Benchin'

Another week started on Matt Vincent's TRAINING LAB and I am feeling pretty good. Here's how the workout went:
WARM UP
5 minutes on the Treadmill
Stretching
FRONT SQUAT
bar x 8
135 x 6
205 x 5
225 x 3 x 3
-> 225 x 7 a +2 Rep PR.
BENCH PRESS
bar x 10
135 x 8
225 x 5
240 x 3 x 4
GOOD MORNINGS
115 x 8 x 3
INCLINE D.B. PRESS
50 x 10 x 3
CORE CIRCUIT
8k med ball Catapult Toss x 3 x 3
-superset-
5lbs. Trainer Hammer x 8 fast winds x 3
-superset-
Ab Wheel Roll outs x 3 x 3
*Shot Put work to strengthen my forearms and increase the "flick"
That was about it. Felt good on the Rep PR.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/19/12 at 3:06pm

B2C1W3D2: Push JERK and Deads!!! Om my...

I decided to get my schedule together a little better and I think I can consistantly do a Monday, Wednesday, Friday rotation with some throwing on Sundays. Only time will tell. Did Push Jerk instead of Push Press today to work on some shoulder speed. Here's the workout:
WARM UP
5 minutes on the treadmill
Stretching
PUSH JERK
bar x 10
135 x 7
205 x 3 x 4
*205 x 6 = 10lbs. + 3 rep PR.
DEADLIFT
bar x 10
135 x 8
225 x 6
295 x 3
315 x 3 x 3
*315 x 6 = 1 rep PR.
PULL UPS
BW x 7 x 3
DB Single Arm Row
50 x 12 x 3

OLD FASHION TOSSER CIRCUIT
=> PULL OVERS + OVERHEAD TOSS + SHOT TO THE GROUND <=
=> 50 x 12 x 3 + 8k x 5 x 3 + 16 x 5 x 3 <=
Everything is beautiful. My back is sore like it should be - nothing more, nothing less - and I am happy that I had time for my circuit.
Keep Moving Forward,
Miller
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/12 at 8:52pm

B2C1W2D3: Cleans and Snatch

Another glorious workout on Matty V's TRAINING LAB. If you are paying attention then you are wondering why I am on week 2 day 3 of this program and not week 3 day 3. I am behind a week on the power cleans and single arm snatch. Here's the workout:

WARM UP
5 minute warm up on the treadmill
Stretching
Mobility WOD work
POWER CLEAN
bar x 8
135 x 6
175 x 4 x 5
SINGLE ARM SNATCH
70 x 4 (2 on each arm) x 5
90LBS. FARMER WALK
90ft. x 2
CIRCUIT
=> 33" Box Jumps + Twist Toss + CCCP Shot Drills + Weighted Side Bend<=
=> 5 x 3 + 3 x 3 ea. side + 3 x 3 both legs + 10lbs. x 10 x 3 <=
Good Workout! My back was a little sore as expected, but I managed to get through all the power movements. Farmer's Walk? Yeah...just pulled them down to dust them off, then I figured I would use them. It had been a very long time since I did the single arm snatch, and I was a little rusty at first. By the end of the second set I was in the groove.
Keep Moving Forward,
Miller
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lex Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/24/12 at 4:10pm

B2C1W4D1: Front Squat and Bench TEST!

Today begins a week of testing the limits of my body and finding out if my body is progressing. I really get nervous on testing week...almost as if I don't want to let TRAINING LAB down or disappoitn the CAVE OF STRENGTH for not working hard enough. Well, here are today's results:
WARM UP
5 minutes treadmill
Stretching
Mobility WOD for the ankles
FRONT SQUAT
bar x 8
135 x 6
225 x 3
245 x 3
275 x 3
NEW PR: 275 x 3 = 302lbs. MAX = + 40lbs.
**YEA BOYYYEEEE!**
BENCH PRESS
bar x 10
135 x 8
225 x 3
255 x 4
260 x 2
NEW PR: 255 x 4 = + 1 rep.
**Not huge, but I am not very good at bench and I am happy with that for now.**
CLOSE GRIP BENCH superset 38* INCLINE D.B. PRESS
135 x 10 x 3 + 50's x 10 x 3
GOOD MORNINGS superset CATAPULT MED BALL TOSS
115 x 6 x 3 + 8k x 6 x 3
~THROWING~
25# BEAST-MAR
5 throws = 25' + range
17# O STONE
5 snaps = 34-35 range
5 glide fulls = 35 + range
Not a bad workout. Maxing out never feels as taxing right afterwards, but I'll feel it tomorrow. Throws were decent...YES...I am going back to the glide. I feel like I can maximize MY personal ability based on my body type and shape with this style. Just gotta keep working the stones...and the others as well.
Keep Moving Forward,
Miller
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic