Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Great Article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great Article
    Posted: 12/15/11 at 6:29am
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 6:37am
a link to a link?

here's the direct link to the article:

http://takimag.com/article/never_trust_anyone_who_hasnt_been_punched_in_the_face/print#axzz1XL0fbs4n

Edited by C. Smith - 12/15/11 at 6:42am
MAT$O View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 6:38am
sorry I didn't think it through...I got excited..
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 8:36am
Originally posted by MAT$O MAT$O wrote:

I got excited..

happens to me all the time..

Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 9:50am
Good read. Check this out.
Dave Barron
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 2:30pm
Is Fight Club 2 coming out soon?  haha

Matt, I love you, bro.  And, I don't know your friend at all.  But, when i read an article or hear statements like this i think they are sad and silly, and a couple of thoughts come to mind . . .

like the adage that little dogs make a lot of noise, but big dogs don't cuz they don't have too.

people who would glamorize or romanticize violence likely have never truly experienced it and don't truly understand or appreciate it.  getting hit in the face at fight club isn't real violence.

over the past 10 years a lot of men and women have experienced it in Iraq and Afghanistan.  I have seen women who are better soldiers than a lot of dudes.  and, i would rather them be in a foxhole with me.

many of the greatest warriors in history were also the greatest advocates for peace b/c they understood how horrific war really is.

violence is a constant in this "brutish" life.  we all experience it.  no reason to seek it out.

some of the greatest men in history eschewed violence, jesus, ghandi, MLK, etc.  they accomplished great things with an open hand.

i like denis leary cuz he is down with satire.

real men NEVER bully anyone.  they stand up to bullies on behalf of others.

yada yada yada

i think it is important to be tough and stand up for what you believe in.

I have been in fights and been hit in the face.  I played football through college.  I have deployed to Iraq and AFG.  I quote "Conan the Barbarian.   But, fights still scare me.
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 2:40pm
 and, sorta on this topic:

Edited by phatmiked - 12/15/11 at 2:45pm
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/11 at 2:41pm
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/11 at 1:37am
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

and, sorta on this topic:

http://www.theinspiration.com/2011/09/carlsberg-stunt-in-cinema/

LOL

"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/11 at 1:41am
"Never trust anyone who hasn't been punched in the face..." meh....

I prefer "Damn a  man that whistles." LOL
"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
Andy Vincent View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Vincent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/11 at 1:51am
Mike,  I don't see where the spirit of the article is much different from what you posted, and I certainly didn't feel that the author was glorifying war.  In fact, the three paragraphs below, which I felt were the crux of the author's argument, seem to fall right in line with your last couple of statements.

Originally posted by article article wrote:

I think there is a certain worldview that comes from violent experience. It’s something like…manhood. You don’t have to be the world’s greatest badass to be a man, but you have to be willing to throw down when the time is right.

A man who has been in a fight or played violent sports has experienced more of life and manhood than a man who hasn’t. Fisticuffs, wrestling matches, knife fights, violent sport, duels with baseball bats, facing down guns, or getting crushed in the football field—men who have had these experiences are different from men who have not. Men who have trained for or experienced such encounters know about bravery and mental fortitude from firsthand experience. Men who have been tested physically know that inequality is a physical fact...

Men who have fought know how difficult it is to stand against the crowd and that civilization is fragile and important. A man who has experienced violence knows that, at its core, civilization is an agreement between men to behave well. That agreement can be broken at any moment; it’s part of manhood to be ready when it is. Men who have been in fights know about something that is rarely spoken of without snickering these days: honor. Men who have been in fights know that, on some level, words are just words: At some point, words must be backed up by deeds.

It sounds like our view on this sort of thing is very similar.  I have zero tolerance for chest-thumping douche bags and loud mouth jerks.  An expression comes to mind when it comes to things like this:  "Old money never talks about it's wealth."  The toughest men I know are also the most humble, and the real tough guys -- the real men -- never have to say a word about what they are.

BrianKing View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/11 at 4:46am
Originally posted by Mr. Natural Mr. Natural wrote:

Good read. Check this out.
Very funny article..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic