FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Meniscus Surgery? Recovery time ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meniscus Surgery? Recovery time ?
    Posted: 11/30/11 at 3:35am

Just got a question for anyone who has had meniscus surgery.

I will be having a surgery to repair a posterior tear and a bone growth chipped off.

The doctor says 6 weeks recovery time....he's a good doc....he's the same doc who fixed my bicep...and has dealt with my other torn bicep and hamstring..

Just wondering how long it took to get back to squatting normal ?

crum
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/11 at 3:54am
Check my training log, my surgery was 1/28/11 I think. 

IIRC, I front squatted 17 days after surgery.
M-BAAB View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M-BAAB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/11 at 6:18am
Ken - it depends on how long it was hurt and how badly.
The bone growth will probably be your sticky place.

I fell over a pile and got meniscus bucket tear - fixed 2 days later and played full game 3 days later. Can you say young and stoopid!

Another time , I rode a tear for 10 weeks to finish the season and this sucker took months to feel right.

Heal it once - there are no games to rush back to - start very slow and easy- I'm talking squat w the bar first and do everything based on how u feel the next day.

Ice is your lil friend.
You'll be fine if you're smart
51 , 72 and 15 at 50
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/11 at 9:18am

ALL OF THIS IS GOOD ADVICE!

The man in the arena.
kgb1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgb1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/11 at 1:34pm

Ken,

Physical therapy is your best friend.  When I had my knee scoped for torn meniscus and a torn medial ligament, I was in physical therapy first thing the next morning.  If the PT said to do my stretches and exercise X number of times per day, I did them twice as much.  Two weeks later, the doc told me I could stop PT.  Work on range of motion.

Rick

Spencer hates me!
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/11 at 4:18pm

Ken, good luck on upcoming surgery

with a meniscal repair generally the tendency is to keep you non weightbearing on that leg for 6 weeks- if it is just a debridement (removal of torn fragments of meniscus), then the return to normal activity is generally when comfort allows it (often a week or 2)

the decision to repair versus debride the meniscus generally depends upon size, location, and shape of tear, chronicity of injury, age of patient and condition of rest of knee (particularly the surrounding cartilage)- we try to repair as many menisci as possible but the majority tend to fall in the irrepairable category- Early PT is an important part of the recovery process

Hope this helps on what to expect- keep squatting

ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/11 at 9:29am
Thanks for the info guys.....I appreciate it....

I believe the first tear was in august at a games.....then again in october.....been nursing it thinking it would get better...no luck with that

Looks like the surgery will be around the first of the year....

Yeah I will defenitely be back to squatting...It's one of my favorite exercises.....always has been....I haven't squatted since october and it sucks phsically and mentally...

Again thanks for the responses
crum
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/11 at 5:06am
Hang in there Ken! Don't let my knee scare ya! You got great advice from
the guys here. Early PT--ice and you will be back with no problem. Did I
mention ice?
Jason Cherry View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Cherry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/11 at 2:52am
For what it is worth I always carried Scotch in my Unit15.

Good luck with surgery and heal up soon, Ken!
"Example is the best precept." ~ Aesop
Neeb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/11 at 12:30pm
I remember being a stubborn 17 year old when i got mine. I
was on the stationary bike doing "rehab" the next day. I
would tell you to ease back into after letting yourself
rest up for a few days. jumping into training too soon
after can be worse than the original injury.
I'm a lot bigger than I am strong.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic