FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Luke Crowley

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 57>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TRAINING LOG: Luke Crowley
    Posted: 10/25/11 at 8:07am

Had the last comp of the season in Kirksville MO 10/15 and then took a full week off.  Now starts the off season training.  Hopefully having a log keeps me accountable.

2011 Recap:  Back injury in January boned me. Curse you deadlift.  Took 2 months off everything.  Eventually I could do normal throwing/lifting with no spasms. Came into the season weaker than I would like. Also managed to forget how to throw.  After the first few games it was looking like the season was going to be a wash, but had a late rally and hit a few big PRs near the end... All things considered, it turned out to be a pretty possitive seasson.  Finished with lifetime PRs in HWFD,LH,HH and Sheaf.

2011-2012 Off Season Goals:

1. Stronger (hang clean, back and front squat, bench... lift selection is somewhat limited by low basement ceiling) Deadlift can suck it.
  2. Hammer: get blades and get reps with them (as of right now I'm throwing 2 winds in cleats)
  3. Work on stones... Plan to compete in a few indoor meets this winter (shot and 35lb weight)
  4. Throw periodically over the winter to keep up with technique... I've always been bad about this.  The WI winters are too long to just sit back and let them pass without doing some kind of throwing.  I forget stuff.
  5. Probably more to come.

Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/11 at 8:38am

10-24-11 Daytime Throws: HWFD and LWFD  It was nice out so I felt like doing some throwing.  Hit a PR in the 56 at Kirksville (45'4) so I wanted to see if I could repeat. Sadly we did not throw the 28.

Warm-up One turns with the 56: 4 throws x each hand. best of 40' (best I've done with these)  I've only started doing these in the last few weeks.  I am seeing the benifit of establishing a power possition of sorts and getting to focus on the sprint phase.

5 fulls with the 56: 42',44',45',43',45'  Happy with these, glad to repeat with consistancy.  Also hit some realy awkward possitions on the 44 and 43 but they still flew... speed must have been there. 

One turns with 28: 3 throws x each hand best of 75' (tied my best with this)

4 fulls with 28: 79',81',83',80'   Happy here too, but my legs weren't really springy so I cut it off a little sooner than I was hoping. Still have lifting in the evening to go.

Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/11 at 10:55am

10-24-11 Evening Lifting  Hang Clean and Back squat

Hangs: 155x3, 175x3, 205x3, 245x3, 275x3, 295x3x2 *Wasn't palnning on going that heavy on what was supposed to be a recovery type workout but when Duran Duran starts pumping Union of the Snake all bets are off.

Squat (always ATG): 245x5, 315x5, 350x5, 385x5 *Was supposed to do one more set at 385 but had some mega tightness in my hammy so I scrapped it.  Probably due to the throwing earlier in the day.  I don't usually throw before lifting. Otherwise squats felt great.

Cool down: One match Pokemon Stadium (LOSS) *Beedrill is a no-talent pussy.

Luke Crowley
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/11 at 4:08pm

"The u... nion... of the snake... is... on the climbbbbbbb!!!!!!!"

God, I love that tune.  Good to see you posting Luke!  BTW your WFD #s are gross.

"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/25/11 at 5:54pm

Glad you like the tunes Beau... we had some Boston going tonight.  I wasn't sure if they were the right choice for a bench workout, but I was wrong. They F'n brought it. 

Bench: 225x5, 275x5, 275x5, 315x5, 315x5, 315x5, 335x5 *did 5 pull-ups in between sets. Both felt pretty good.  Just getting some volume... probably feel bad tomorrow.

Threw in some tempo curls and close grip at the end.  Short and sweet.

Luke Crowley
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 1:15am
Really??? After all the crap you gave me. BTW Beedrill blows on that game, such BS.
The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 2:51am
I want to see vid of your HWFD, those #s are sickkkkk
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 9:39am
Jake, I'll see what I can do about the video, the girl
friend has my camera in San Diego so its probably fully
broken by now. I can probably wrangle up another one. Tom
can tell ya though my technique is a little jerky.
Luke Crowley
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/11 at 10:31am

you got to get that thing moving, impressive nonetheless..

I've spent so much time trying to perfect my technique that I forget to "speed it up" and am throwing way under my potential. It's very frustrating, lol. After watching a bunch of vids last night and comparing to mine, my cast is 1/2 the speed of the big throwers.. no wonder I'm only getting 36-37' out of it, oh well..

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 2:33am
Nice work at Kirksville.  I mean, that's pretty good.  For you.

Deadlifts have been replaced by good mornings.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 8:31am

Ha, thanks Josh for the dickish compliment... Good mornings kinda wierd me out, probably for the same reason deadlifts do... my form is garbage.  I've been throwing in some RDLs with heavy band tension to keep my hamstrings going.  These get me through the scary injury zone (off the floor) with little resistance and the bands kick in where I feel more comfortable pulling hard. I'm a sucker for new crap to do though, so I'll check out these crazy good morning thingies.  You seem to be using huge amounts of weight by the way... icky.

Jake, I've messed around alot with the speed of my first cast and turn. So far Im having the best results with a tight and controlled first turn into a big fast 2nd.  Essentially I just use my first cast as kind of a rolling start into a fast hard 1 turn... if that make any sense.  This has let me hit big throws more consistantly.  In essence I only go as fast as I need to out of the back to hit the speed I want to in the front, as opposed to tearin ass on my first spin and hoping I can keep that speed to through the end of the throw (which I usually could not)

Luke Crowley
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 9:25am
I can send a clip of some good mornings, if you want.  I will most likely be wearing pants.

The difference, for me between a good morning and a RDL is just that and RDL is in my hands, and a good morning is on my back.  The advantages (again, for me) is that:

1.  I recover from GM's much better than any kind of DL.  Including even light RDL's.
2.  I can do more volume.
3.  I don't hit myself in the junk with the bar.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 9:26am
And you're welcome.  It's what I do.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 9:59am
I see what you're saying, and appriciate that the safety
of your peepee plays into your lift selection. To the
video I say yes, send it on over. Keep your pants on if
you must, but lose the shirt.
Luke Crowley
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/11 at 10:28am

Your explanation makes perfect sense. I was playing around today and found another error. On the couple hundred of one turns I've drilled over the last few weeks, I'm pulling late out of the back on every single one of them. Also, I drive forward and left, rather than just forward, meaning I'm pivoting my right foot too much before driving. *sigh* back to drilling now.

A quick question for your one turns, as you finish your turn and are getting ready for the big pull/release, are you driving the weight down to your right foot, just as you do as you're setting up for the turn or are you just waiting for it to get into position then pulling the f**k out of it?

GMs are legit, I frequently swap them out with RDLs.. my glutes, hams and adducters can get super fried just from a measly 225. I used to go up in the 4s, but I don't feel thats necessary very often.

I agree with Josh, exact same movement, just the bar is on your instead of your hands. Hips go back, hams and glutes contract to bring you back up.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/29/11 at 6:51am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

A quick question for your one turns, as you finish your turn and are getting ready for the big pull/release, are you driving the weight down to your right foot, just as you do as you're setting up for the turn or are you just waiting for it to get into position then pulling the f**k out of it

I suppose I fall somewhere in the middle.... I tend to get pretty high off the ground in my spin so as I land and settle into a quater-squat type of position the weight will get some encouragement on the way down but then I let gravity do the rest.  I just try to catch it as its turning the corner and get up over my left leg.  If everything is in order my pull feels like one big swooping motion... if not then I start to feel like Im dragging the weight. 

***On a side note I should say that I focus more on what the weight does vs what my body does.  For instance I throw everything to my left (I'm a right handed thrower) because I continue my final pull all the way to 180 degrees of my low point (where ever it happens to fall)  So everything goes to the left to a varying degree since my low point usually falls somewhere between 4:00 and 5:30ish (kind of a big range I know)  That being said, I have no idea if doing it that way is smart or dumb but it works for me and feels good.

Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/11 at 4:40pm

10-30-11  Hang Clean & Back Squat (ATG as always)

Low back was tight so I rolled around on a big ole cardboard carpet tube for a bit and that seemed to get it loose. 

Cleans: 175x3, 210x3, 255x3, 280x3, 280x3, 295x3, 315x3, 315x3

Squats: 245x5, 300x5, 350x5, 405x5, 405x5  ***Felt great up until my first set at 405 and then I lost my damn mind... set my feet to wide, bar was positioned weird and rolling off my back, general crappyness.  2nd set was much better but still wasn't really attacking the hole so I was killing any dynamic response from the bottom... essentially pausing in the hole which feels like balls. My last 2 sets turned what should have been a nice snappy workout into a huge grind. 

All together I am still getting back into lifting shape... Next week I'll be backing off a bit on these lifts which will feel nice on my body and hopefully give me some more energy to take some throws.

Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/11 at 5:37pm

11-2-11 Bench & Pull ups

Bench: 225x5, 245x5, 295x5, 315x5, 335x5, 345x5, 365x3  ***Really wanted 5 at 365 but was pretty much toast by that point... o well good workout.

Pull ups: BWx5 in between sets of bench... 7 sets total. 

Gonna try to throw a bit tomorrow, weights and hammers.  Hopefully get some video, then try to mate the camera with my laptop and get the internet to adopt the baby.  Fingers crossed.

Luke Crowley
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 4:10am

http://www.travelroller.com

Horrible. You'll love it.

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 7:27am
Looks nice but lacks a certain big-cardboardyness that I've come to expect from my roller.
Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 11:43am

11-3-11 Throws HWFD, LWFD, LHammer  40 minutes total

HWFD:

Warm up: 1 turns 4x each hand best of 39'  (hit a left hand PR of 31')

4 Fulls: 44, 45, 44, 45+ (so close to being able to call this 46'...POOP!)

***HW is feeling very relaxed and elastic... Really starting to approach the effortless throw feel.  I'm really happy with the 1 turns.  Very solid warm up and let me go right into max effort fulls.

LWFD:

1 turns: 3x each hand; best of 74' (another left hand PR 61' woo!)         

5 Full: 81', 82', 84', 82', 83'

***Really getting up over my left on these... having some trouble balancing fast spins with a big finish. Hopefully better timing will come with more reps.  The 84' pulled way off to the damn left, even for me.  Not sure why.  Everything else landed in a tight cluster not quite as far left of center.

L Hammer: Warmed up with a few winds.                                               

5 Full Throws (2 winds in cleats): 108', 112', 117', 115', 118'

*** From what I see with good hammer throwers, Im probably not really doing these right.  My 2nd wind consists of whipping the hammer to a left side low point (right handed thrower) post up on my left leg and doing what feels like a pivoting hang clean.  Im sure it looks wierd (because Sroka tells me so) but I get alot of stretchy reflexy feel, and it doesn't hurt. 

Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/11 at 5:34pm

11-3-11  Lifting: Banded Front Squats & Jackin around

Front Squat: 135+ EFS Black Bands 5 sets of 3  Nice and snappy.

Also tried out some Good Morning and lost a few matches of Mortal Kombat (Trilogy)

Everything felt good, no tightness in hips or back after throws today.  Had very good series in WFD's and LHammer but everything felt very low impact... hope to keep it that way.

Luke Crowley
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 2:52am
big throws, very big
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 2:54am
I like your more left hammer.  I think the right side is for people whose stuff isn't broken.
Srokus View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Almost as strong as the top women +75kg

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Srokus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 4:21am
Originally posted by BrainSmasher BrainSmasher wrote:

11-3-11 Throws HWFD, LWFD, LHammer  40 minutes total

HWFD:

Warm up: 1 turns 4x each hand best of 39'  (hit a left hand PR of 31')

4 Fulls: 44, 45, 44, 45+ (so close to being able to call this 46'...POOP!)

***HW is feeling very relaxed and elastic... Really starting to approach the effortless throw feel.  I'm really happy with the 1 turns.  Very solid warm up and let me go right into max effort fulls.

LWFD:

1 turns: 3x each hand; best of 74' (another left hand PR 61' woo!)         

5 Full: 81', 82', 84', 82', 83'

***Really getting up over my left on these... having some trouble balancing fast spins with a big finish. Hopefully better timing will come with more reps.  The 84' pulled way off to the damn left, even for me.  Not sure why.  Everything else landed in a tight cluster not quite as far left of center.

L Hammer: Warmed up with a few winds.                                               

5 Full Throws (2 winds in cleats): 108', 112', 117', 115', 118'

*** From what I see with good hammer throwers, Im probably not really doing these right.  My 2nd wind consists of whipping the hammer to a left side low point (right handed thrower) post up on my left leg and doing what feels like a pivoting hang clean.  Im sure it looks wierd (because Sroka tells me so) but I get alot of stretchy reflexy feel, and it doesn't hurt. 

I only poke fun because if I tried doing what you do on some of your throws I would dislocate something. You have unorthodox trhowing technique. As I recall a LaCrosse weight thrower went to nationals hopping in the event. But hey it works for you so let it be. You try to change too much and the wheels can come off. Take it from me and my hammers this year. Keep it up and I will still give you crap for encouragement along the way.

The competitor to be feared is not the one who worries about others, but the one who goes on making their business better at all times...

www.thestrengthagenda.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 4:36am
Ever see VPprod clips with Vierra and Harrison B's throws overlaid? I'd like to see Luke's throws overlayed with someone who throws as far as he does. 
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 5:43am

I throw about 118-120, but that's with 4 winds and blades.. (yes I know I look like a jackass with 4 winds)..

118' with 2 winds in cleats is incredible

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/11 at 9:50am

Tom, even I wouldn't recommend my 35lb weight technique to anyone for any reason... For the HG weights though, I still think that if I can do it then a gorilla can definitely pull it off.

About hammers: We'll see what happens when I get blades in the equation.  I feel that I could add more speed, get more extension and catch it farther back if I were anchored.  Or maybe I'll fall down and rip my foot off... both are very real possibilities

Luke Crowley
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/06/11 at 6:49pm

11-7-11 Hang Clean & Squat

Cleans: 155x3, 205x3, 245x3, 265x3, 285x3, 265x3

Squat:  245x3, 300x3, 350x3, 375x3, 405x3, 335x3

Hit the heavy bag for a bit... and I'm outa shape. 

*** Backed way off on these lifts this week to recover a bit... I totally needed it apparently. Everything felt like hell.  Might throw a bit tomorrow. Will be interesting to see how throwing goes based on how crappy lifting felt.

Luke Crowley
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/07/11 at 2:07am

that's how it goes for me.. bad weight session = good throws session. good weights session = bad throws session, lol.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 57>
  Share Topic