Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

insurances

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: insurances
    Posted: 6/22/11 at 11:19am
After organizing my first games I soon realized that this was the largest expense to cover. I've created a simple model in other sports that has worked relatively well and just wanted to get it out to the SG community to see if it's feasible.

I created an entity (corp) that was considered a governing body by an insurance view. From there all the local clubs payed up into that entity to acquire insurance coverage. It was a win/win for everyone because the rate each would have paid separately is close to double the cost of paying into the entity. As long as the relationship with the insuring company is decent and they're informed of participation rates, they seem to be happy.

Ultimately it frees up cash for other things like promo materials, trophies, travel expenses or whatever your sport may need extra money for.

I'm sure that the larger festivals cover the athletics as part of the event insurance. However, Athletics carrying their own coverage would once again free up some funds and allow AD's benefits that I'm not even familiar with.

Bonus is that games could me marketed as sanctioned or official or whatever. People love that stuff, its why marketing is such a giant ridiculous industry.

I've done this with my dodgeball leagues and worked a little with the  North American Currach Association on getting this stuff in place. Although I've heard some complaints, those NAS guys also seem have a pretty decent model.

Dave Barron will probably not see this, although I'm sure he'd have some great input.....and not remember me, even though I judged his sweet cabers at Cortland last year.

This may be totally unreasonable, but it makes sense in my head and thought I'd share.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/11 at 12:51am
Jasen - post this again in the general forum and I'm sure more will see it and have input.  
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/11 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

Jasen - post this again in the general forum and I'm sure more will see it and have input.  

i will......someday....once I've hosted a few games and I've got it figured out some more. Right now I'm just a new guy to the community and dont want to get ahead of myself.

i've been in some other stuff where some new guy comes along and tries to revolutionize everything, i usually call them an idiot and  stop listening, i dont want that to happen to me, ive got lots to learn.

going to set up a little corp though and take out an insurance policy to cover all the athletic stuff i run in town. Then if anyone needs an insurance binder anywhere.....for gov use permits or for whatever......i can do it inexpensively to just help folks out. it'll be nice to have for 2012 and if anyone wants to graduate their backyard games to a public venue and attract some interest, or start a new games.... they have the option.
jennilee_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennilee_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/11 at 2:42pm

I am not sure if this is an apporpriate question, but how much are you getting quoted for insurance?

Jenni May-Dennis
President
San Antonio Highland Games
vonguinness View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vonguinness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/11 at 3:14am
Originally posted by jennilee_m jennilee_m wrote:

I am not sure if this is an apporpriate question, but how much are you getting quoted for insurance?

I believe I paid $230 for 30 athletes.
jammin on the one.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/11 at 10:40am
I would sure like to know who your insurance provider is.
jennilee_m View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennilee_m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/11 at 7:38am

Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

I would sure like to know who your insurance provider is.

I got a quote from Gulfstream for $159.30 - 25 athletes. 

Jenni

FYI: contact is Art Campbell, CPCU
art@gulfstreaminsurance.net 

Gulfstream Insurance Group, Inc.
 Fort Lauderdale , FL
 800-859-0120  Ext. 721

Jenni May-Dennis
President
San Antonio Highland Games
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/11 at 1:06am
Thats realy cheap the last rate i had was around 500.00.
North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/11 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by S McCracken S McCracken wrote:

Thats realy cheap the last rate i had was around

Makes you appreciate the rate DJ gets for NAHA, doesn't it?
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/11 at 12:32am

Originally posted by mike landrich mike landrich wrote:

Originally posted by S McCracken S McCracken wrote:

Thats realy cheap the last rate i had was around

Makes you appreciate the rate DJ gets for NAHA, doesn't it?

yes it does, if we had a group plan for NASGA it would help everyone else. 

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

Sugar Britches View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugar Britches Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/11 at 8:58am

The Association of Scottish Games and Festivals gets that group rate through Gulfstream. I don't think it is that expensive to join ASGF and get the insurance rate.  It is $95 per year.

www.asgf.org

Get in touch with their Treasurer -

Roberta Goss RobertaLHG@aol.com

The website does not look up to date, but they are still in existence.

"We must become the change we want to see" Gandhi
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic