FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

PVC hammer handle question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PVC hammer handle question
    Posted: 3/26/11 at 8:51am

I have always ordered and used wood handles for my hammer. Down to my last handle and was thinking of going to PVC.

What is the best type of pvc to use ?

And can I just buy it at Lowes , Home Depot ?

Thanks

crum
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/11 at 9:10am
Ken, schedule 80 seems to last a heck of
a lot longer- have gotten it at some, but
not all home depots (they always have
had schedule 40), otherwise I'm told
plumbing supply places carry 80
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/11 at 9:24am
1/2" schedule 40 electrical conduit, flanged, to make it easy, is what we try to use.  3/4" also I guess. 
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/11 at 11:52am
3/4 inch schedule 80 Electrical conduit. you can get more bang for your buck if you also get pipe connectors. cut 50 inch lengths off each end, and glue the connector on the end of the one that doesn't widen.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/11 at 11:53am
you can get it at most Home Depots and Lowes, but when shopping at Lowes, don't buy the pre-cut ones, you aren't saving money.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/26/11 at 5:47pm
if your fitting the PVC handle into the head designed for
wood, I would advice you to weigh your hammer as it
probably be under weight.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
ken crum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ken crum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/11 at 12:47pm

Thanks for the info guy's.

Much appreciated.

crum
JWC III View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JWC III Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/27/11 at 1:36pm

the 80 is a little heavier than the 40, so if it's light with the 40 then it might be Ok with the 80....oz....but oz count!

Thom Van Vleck
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/11 at 4:27pm
Ken
Use 3/4" sched 80. I pay <$2.50 per 10' section at my local electrical
supply. 4 pieces is less than $10 with tax. Don't use sched 40 if you can get
sched 80. There is a huge difference in wall thickness (and strength) its .113
vs .154.
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/29/11 at 10:36pm
That is precisely why we use 40, it's much 'whippier'. 
mike landrich View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike landrich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:37am
Well, if Craig says it, I stand corrected. He is the man
"Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level and win by experience"-Mark Twain
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/11 at 12:48am
lol, I'm only saying it from a throwing perspective, not from a durability perspective! 

But that's the good thing about the conduit, especially if you use the flared ends, is easy changes when it breaks.  
Sammy68123 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/30/11 at 9:45am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

lol, I'm only saying it from a throwing perspective, not from a durability perspective! 

But that's the good thing about the conduit, especially if you use the flared ends, is easy changes when it breaks.  

I've never found sch 80 with a bell end as in sch 40.  It might need to be heated with a torch and flared manually a la Old Celt instructions.

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/11 at 6:24am
I would agree with Mr. Smith that the 40 is better for the whippy, but for someone like me who doesn't exactly have cash to spare, I prefer the 80, it usually lasts longer.
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/11 at 2:52pm

the design has more impact on how long the handles last then the schedule of the PVC.  The larger the raduis of the hammer, the greater number of handles your hammer will eat.

Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
Throwgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throwgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/01/11 at 4:38pm
I get the 3/4" schedule 80 pvc with a bell on it, at my local hardware store.  Never had a problem finding it.  Beth
You can overcome adversity!
Steve Conway View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Conway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/02/11 at 5:25am
We use the 3/4" schedule 80 with the bell end on our truck (SHA), they hold up really well and can be changed quickly. When I was still competing :) I only used 3/4" schedule 40 in my practice hammer; it would last for a year or more of repeated throwing. I don't know if you can get schedule 40 with the bell end, I would glue an end cap on that rescessed into the bottom of the hammer head. It was a 16lbs. shot that was drilled out by a machinist. FYI, I never had one come loose and routinely practiced with a number of pro level athletes. And Craig, you're right about the 40 being more whippy for throwing...I think that helped it last longer as well. It bent more easily upon impact or at least that's my unscientific observation LOL  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/11 at 11:18am

Originally posted by Throwgrl Throwgrl wrote:

I get the 3/4" schedule 80 pvc with a bell on it, at my local hardware store.  Never had a problem finding it.  Beth

Who is your local hardware store?  And how much does it end up costing you? 

I've looked and called all around here and no one seems to ever have bell-end sched 80.  Lots of bell-end sched 40.

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
Ak thrower View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ak thrower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/11 at 4:26pm

Ive used some pipe made of H.D.P.E ( Hi Density Poly Ethilene ) (sp) with GREAT success , only bad part is , you have to have the swage end fused on. ... only takes a few seconds for a plumbing shop to do . But this pipe is almost indestructable ! You can bend it in half and wont break .

Remember when mom told us never throw stones ?
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/03/11 at 4:32pm
Home Depot has the bell end schd 80. or most do.
Throwgrl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Throwgrl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/11 at 5:54am
Teresa, is you can't find the schedule 80 with a bell at your area hardware stores, try local irrigation supply stores, or call someone who installs irrigation systems.  My store is totally local, Riverridge Hardware, which wouldn't help you, as I'm in the NW.  Good luck, Beth
You can overcome adversity!
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/11 at 10:59am
Here is a question for the hammer throwers.

Since the handle is definitely more "whippy" using 1/2" PVC handles over 3/4" PVC or cane, does your throwing style change to take advantage of the whippy handle?

Watching the good hammer throwers, it seems to be all about speed and getting the biggest radius -- Thus, I have a hard time believing the style changes; Yet, I can't shake the idea that there is some subtle differences.       

Mark McVey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sammy68123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/05/11 at 11:15am

Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

Home Depot has the bell end schd 80. or most do.

I've never been able to find bell end Sch 80 at our Home Depots--lots of Sch 40.

Thanks for the ideas! 

Teresa Merrick
Bellevue, NE
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic