FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

2011 Greenville SC Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2011 Greenville SC Highland Games
    Posted: 3/14/11 at 1:48pm

On-Line Registration is now open for the 6th Annual Greater Greenville Scottish Highland Games in Greenville, SC to be held Saturday May 28th, 2011.

www.greenvillegames.org
This year we're paying a Special Tribute to the Men and Women of our US and Scottish Armed Services past and present.
Several Special Guests will be on hand including members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and the Marine Corp Pipe Band.
Divisions have changed slightly this year. We'll be competing 5 Divisions:
Men's A
Men's B
Masters 40-49
Masters 50 and Up
Women's
with the Men's A Division Battling for the South Carolina Amateur Championship.

Athletes are invited to walk in the Parade on Friday evening in Downtown Greenville with a huge Ceilidh following and featuring Albannach.
Registration is $20 per Athlete with Lunch and T-Shirt provided.
Additional tickets are also available for a discounted price.
Registration will close on May 14th.
You can also download the Entry Form and mail your entry in.

Please feel free to contact me with any questions:
John Allen
john.allen64@att.net
(864) 770-3533

johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 11:13am

We've extended the Registration until May 21st.

Still have room for a couple more Athletes.

Come out and help us Honor our US and Scottish Servicemen and Women.

www.greenvillegames.org

K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 11:20am
Hey-

See ya there!

-K
Tim P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/17/11 at 1:23pm
Just sent it in...see you this weekend in Knoxville?
"What's the matter boy? you got ants in your pants?
No Ma'am...hot steel balls!"
Jerry Clower
johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/11 at 11:59pm

If you plan to walk in the parade with the Heavy Athletics, please be at St. George's Greek Orthodox Church at 406 North Academy Street, Greenville, SC , at 5:30 pm on Friday.
We'll walk the parade and immediately afterwards, attend the free Ceilidh.
Couple of really good bands on tap for this event.
See you there.

johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/11 at 12:10am

Final Thoughts....

Registation for Greenville opens at 7:00am Saturday. We plan to start Throwing no later than 8:30 am. Please be on time.

We want to beat the heat and humidity as much as possible.

Best Entry into Furman for the Athletics is on Duncan Chapel Road. Follow the signs for Timmons Arena and the Volunteers will guide you to the parking areas. We can park down by the field next to the Tennis Courts or in the upper parking Lot and ride the Golf Carts down to the lower field. Look for the 6 passenger Carts, there will be 2 of them shuttling Athletes around.

You can bring your own Canopies and Coolers into Furman. We will have an Area Available to you for Tents and Canopies. Furman University asks that you not bring Alcohol on to the Campus. I believe there will be a Beer Garden some where. But open containers are a no no. We have a great after-party planned for that...lol

Everyone should have received their Wristbands and Parking Passes by now. If you have not......send me an email to: john.allen64@att.net and I will make sure you get in at the Duncan Chapel Rd entrance.

I'll try to get the final Roster posted later this morning.

Good Luck to you all and I'll see you soon!!

John Allen

johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/26/11 at 6:58am

Greenville, SC Lineup:

Men’s A Division

Adam Sizemore

Davis Robinson

Freddie Bailey

Wes Kiser

Shane Sutherland

Kyle Walden

Womens

Kendra Anderson

Suzanne Burgess

Stacie Sewell

Kelly Niklason

Lisa Gourlay

Jocelyn Davis

Men’s B Division

Dave Donachie

Jason Lawson

Joe Owen

Joe Connolly

Joe Wilson

Kyle Smith

Tucker Turner

William Hancock

James Grubbs

James Camp

Eric Crawford

Adam Howell

Brant Bullister

Butch Stanley

Daniel Goulet

Hondo Somers

Nick Bodenheimer

Scott Boileau

Paul Cousins

Caleb Reed

Dave Summers

Masters 40-49

Dan Michels

Tim Propst

William Wallace

Randy McClure

Braidy Miller

Roger Mann

Masters 50 and Up

John Owen

Anthony Walker

Dave Ostroski

Eric Snow

Johnny Reed

Kevin Rogers

Jeff Baty

butterbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote butterbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/27/11 at 5:15pm
This will be some showdown!....giggity!
CLAN DAVE FOREVER!
johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/11 at 1:48am
After a couple days to catch my breath....lol
I wanted to Thank everyone for coming out and participating in the 2011 Greenville Highland Games.
We saw Field Records smashed and Two New World Records set!!!!:o
We saw some of the tightest Women's competition yet.
That alone, in most games, would mean success, but for Greenville, what made us feel like we succeeded, has been the positive feedback we've received from you, the athletes!!
We hope that each and every one of you left Greenville feeling like you threw at your home game.
We hope each of you enjoyed the Competition and the venue as though you were throwing with old friends in a beloved field.
Most of all we hope we gave you the memories that will bring you back to Greenville in the coming years and continue to grow this game and this sport into something special.
I want to say a Special Thanks to my Judges: Scott Medlin, Rick Norred, Tom Blythe, Todd McDougal, Bob Gourlay and Kimberly Baldwin, who without their help and experience, we would not have succeeded. Thanks to Rob Hatch for doing a great job announcing. He really kept the crowds into the action.
Most of all, Thanks to you, the Athletes, for your efforts and sportsmanship. Your Commaraderie and Brotherhood.
That, in my mind, is what made Greenville a success!
I look forward to throwing with all of you soon, but most of all, I look forward to seeing you at Greenville again next year!
Thanks,
John Allen
K Rogers View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/31/11 at 3:32am

John-

Great trip, ... a flight from St. Louis to Charlotte was the first leg for us. We landed in Charlotte and went downtown to the big NASCAR street party before the Memorial Day races - Coke-Cola 600. Speed Week/ESPN were there and the city is really committed to NASCAR.

Then we drove south on I85 to go hiking at Kings Mountain, NC. We climbed to the pinnacle and got some great photos. It could not be any better hiking and the weather was great. It feels good to go hike a new mountain. 

Too bad the weather caused the city to cancel the parade but it turned out to be a really nice Friday evening to walk along the Reddy river downtown. The waterfalls were well lit and created a place to stroll after a few brews at the Ale House on Main St.

The games were just great fun but the most impressive thing about the day to me is that John Owen character. Who could compete all day, turn 3 x 12:00s on that ugly caber and then after the competition ... go to a compete in a pro wresting match?

Not many that I know,... John O is one tough character.

BTW, I'm looking for a Carolina Hay Fork now. Please contact me if you know where I can find one like John's or Jeff Baty's fork.

Thanks for inviting me to the cookouts and all, the pleasure was mine.

-K

johnallen View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/11 at 8:10am

All Scores are Posted

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic