Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/14 at 2:28pm
Okay, day one of week one of block one of Training lab, or my variation on it. It has been a long while since I lifted free weights, so I did just about everything but core, so I know where to start. Day one looked as follows.

Stretching upper body
Bench press: BAR 3x5
                      75lb 10x5

Upright Rows: 110lb 10x5

Skull Crushers: 30lb 10x5

Curls:   35lb 3x5
            25lb 7x5

Lower body stretches, and 1/4 mile walking on the track while I waited for a squat rack to open up.
Squats: 125lb 5x5

Deadlifts: 135lb 3x5

Calf raises: 10lb 1x5
                   20lb 1x5
                   30lb 1x5
                   50lb 1x5
                   60lb 1x5
                   70lb 1x5
                   80lb 1x5
                   90lb 1x5
                 100lb 1x5
                 110lb 1x3
                 180lb 1x1

1/2 mile walk on track to work the stiffness out of my legs.
The reason for such a wide range of weights during the calf raises is due to yesterday. Yesterday I can In to the gym for about 45 minutes to test my one rep max for all these lifts, but at the time I had forgotten about calf raises, so I had to do that today. I feel pretty good about this start, thought I am definitely going to need to work on being able to do the full 10 sets for legs.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/14 at 2:36pm
You seriously maxed out on calf raises?

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/14 at 6:00pm
Yes Craig, I seriously maxed out on calf raises.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/14 at 6:23pm
Workout 9/25/2014
Block 1 week 1 day 2

Bench press:
BAR 3x5
75lb 10x5

Upright Rows:
110lb 10x5

Skull Crushers:
30lb 10x5
I'm pretty pleased about these. A personal trainer here at the YMCA took a moment to point out what I was doing wrong. The difference can very much be felt.

Squats:
125lb 10x5

Calf Raises:
90lb 10x5

1mile walk cool down, followed by stretches.

I was going to look around the gym to see what else I wanted to experiment with but just then I received a nasty shock from the news. A friend of mine named Chris Virdelli went missing in 2012, he was last seen leaving a friends house to go to work. Well his remains have finally been found, and the police suspect murder. I would appreciate if anyone reading this would just take a moment out of their day to pray for his family and pray that his killer be brought to justice. This is difficult for me and I can only imagine how difficult it is for his parents. Hug your kids today, guys.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/14 at 10:48pm
Workout 09/27/2014
Block 1, week 1, day 3

Bench press:
BAR 3x5
75lb 10x5

Incline Bench Press:
65lb 10x5

Upright Rows:
110lb 10x5

Skull Crushers:
30lb 10x5

Curls:
25lb 10x5

Squats:
125lb 10x5
Woo-Hoo! 10 sets! One more week of that and then I will begin adding dead lifts too.

Calf Raises:
90lb 10x5

Planking:
20sec x5
Still experimenting with these, I've always had trouble with core work.

The pool was open at last, so I swam some laps to cool down.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/09/15 at 10:01pm
My home gym is setup!... Kinda. Enough to move heavy(ish) things anyway. I wore myself down yesterday with front squats, overhead bench and skull crushers. Today I spent some time focusing on close grip technique. I've always had trouble with close grip anything because I have tiny little baby triceps. I think I'm just going to spend the next couple weeks focusing on each exercise one by one. For now, Motrin.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/11/15 at 12:42am
More close grip work today. I worked it sets of 5 reps, but I didn't bother keeping track of how many sets. I just put on Mark Bell's Powercast and lifted until the bar wouldn't go up anymore.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/15 at 8:06pm
Workout for tonight:
Close-grip overhead press: 89lb 7 sets for 5
Front squat: 89lb 7 sets for 5
Deadlift: 89lb 2 sets for 5
              111lb 2 sets for 5
              133lb 3 sets for 5
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/15 at 8:07pm
I was talking to a coworker about my workout and he said something I found a little strange. He said if you're lifting you should NOT stretch before, except maybe very lightweight versions of your lifts. I'm going to keep doing what I do since it lowers my chances of injuring my shoulder again, but I wanted to ask you folks about that. Thoughts?
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/15 at 8:52pm
Some say stretch, some say don't.   There's tons of info out there on the Internet. Look it up... experiment... decide for yourself.
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 1:59am
Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

I was talking to a coworker about my workout and he said something I found a little strange. He said if you're lifting you should NOT stretch before, except maybe very lightweight versions of your lifts. I'm going to keep doing what I do since it lowers my chances of injuring my shoulder again, but I wanted to ask you folks about that. Thoughts?

Ok, I don't get this.  At all.  Josh, you know I've got love for you, but I don't understand the point of this post at all.  A guy told you not to stretch, but you are going to keep doing what you do; if that's the case why ask us? 

If 100% of the folks on NASGA said "No, stretching is bad for your muscles and you should NEVER stretch before lifting," would you stop?

I know I sound like a serious d**k...like I'm raining on you...but that's not my intention at all.  More than anything, I want you, and folks like you (i.e. the rest of us) who come out for the Games to have a great, and safe, experience.  Folks give their knowledge freely about what works and what doesn't, but I am finding more and more where those truths, and that's really what they are, are kinda thrown by the wayside and the wheel is reinvented again. 

This is folly, completely unnecessary, and ultimately it holds you back.

If you want to stretch, go for it.  Do it because the science is there, or because it makes you feel better...whatever.  Or don't do it, because the science isn't there, or because it doesn't do anything to help you in your workouts/training.

We cannot unmake a decision you have already made.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 8:05am
Great post by Duncan.  Your log is 4 years old at this point.  If you would have taken the exact advice given in the first few pages, you would likely be up 40+lbs in bodyweight, strength would be up a ridiculous percentage, and you'd potentially be throwing 35+/70+ with the weights, if not further. 

I was talking to a coworker about my workout and he said something I found a little strange.

If you found that strange, I suggest doing a some research. 

I'm going to keep doing what I do since it lowers my chances of injuring my shoulder again

The bolded ^^, what are you basing that on?

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 8:33am
Also, I would suggest looking at page 9 of this very log...since it's already been discussed here once.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 11:44pm
I ask the question because I like hearing people's oppinion. It has nothing to do with asking for advice. I enjoy conversation, plain and simple. Isn't that enough of a reason?
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/15/15 at 11:55pm
As for not injuring myself because I stretch, I base that on my personal experience. I have left the gym with a "tweaked" shoulder or back more often when I failed to first stretch properly, than when I took the time to stretch out and warm up my body. This is not based on research or word of mouth, it is based on my personal experience.
     To be clear: 95% of the questions I pose here I pose in the hypothetical. I have my oppinion, and sometimes I may even try what I hear. But mostly I ask to understand where people stand on a particular topic. For example: I know where I stand on stretching before and after a workout. It will not change unless it becomes necessary. However I am also interested to hear where other people stand, why they feel that way, and how they came to that oppinion. It has nothing to do with changing what I do since I make changes as I find the need for them. It is true however that a lot of what I do comes from this family. I do take some of what you say to heart, and it has helped me tremendously.
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/15 at 2:11am

I ask the question because I like hearing people's oppinion. It has nothing to do with asking for advice. I enjoy conversation, plain and simple. Isn't that enough of a reason?

I would quote both posts but it's too much work. My thought is that any reason is a good enough a reason to ask a question. I think the real question now is that after your response, is there good enough reason for people to take time the time to respond to your questions. For me, it's a no. You can't have a training log for 4 years, randomly post a few times a year, be at the strength level you are, ask a question, and then when you get responses act like you already got it all figured out. Like Duncan said, I don't want to be a dick but you've had a training log for 4 years now and the last set of dead lifts you did your max weight was 133 lbs. How do you expect people to take you seriously when you aren't taking yourself seriously, and when people offer advice you blow it off.

Long story short... You don't have the experience, dedication etc... that many people on here have. If they are gracious enough to offer you a small piece of the knowledge they have, take it. If not, stop asking because it kinda makes you come across as a joke. Really don't want to be a dick but, C'MON MAN!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/16/15 at 6:16am
*opinion 

As for not injuring myself because I stretch, I base that on my personal experience. I have left the gym with a "tweaked" shoulder or back more often when I failed to first stretch properly, than when I took the time to stretch out and warm up my body. This is not based on research or word of mouth, it is based on my personal experience.
     To be clear: 95% of the questions I pose here I pose in the hypothetical. I have my oppinion, and sometimes I may even try what I hear. But mostly I ask to understand where people stand on a particular topic. For example: I know where I stand on stretching before and after a workout. It will not change unless it becomes necessary. However I am also interested to hear where other people stand, why they feel that way, and how they came to that oppinion. It has nothing to do with changing what I do since I make changes as I find the need for them. It is true however that a lot of what I do comes from this family. I do take some of what you say to heart, and it has helped me tremendously.

There is so much wrong with this ^^.  

But anyway, good luck in your training and throwing.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/03/15 at 3:29pm
Hot damn, a new-to-me home gym will be delivered to my door by tomorrow night. Hello back squats, I missed you!
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/15 at 11:33pm
So I brought my new-to-me gym home, I found a sweet deal on Craigslist. I got a half squat rack, two barbells, 3 adjustable Dumbbells, a curl bar, two tricep curl bars, 45#x4, 35#x4, 25#x4, 10#x8, 5#x8, 2.5#x8, and interestingly 1.25#x4. The guy also hade a bench press setup that needs some love, and a decline sit-up bench for free because he just wanted rid of them. As soon as I got everything unloaded I setup the rack and pushed out a few sets of back squats of 15 at 135, and a new PR of 225 for 2 reps.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 8:28am
Alright, I have my equipment set up and my weights in place, now to knock the rust off and start planning out a routine. When my brother-in-law and I bought the gym set, the guy threw in a few freebies just to be rid of them like a bench press rack that needs a spot welded and a sit-up bench. My father-in-law has a welder so he said he'll take a look at it tomorrow, Andrew(the brother-in-law) and I are wire-brushing the plates and going to repaint them for rust protection. Pretty soon we will have a fully functioning home gym to share, in the mean time I am using that squat rack to knock the rust out of my joints and muscles. I'm also doing research on food planning to go with the workout, I don't eat right but maybe one meal each day so I am trying to change that.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/15 at 11:13pm
I almost set a back squat PR. I did not break parallel which is why I call it almost, but I was just above parallel. 255# in the bag. Now enough playing, I'll be spending the next few weeks on light weights and high volume, I found an app to track the bar while I lift and I am way off track.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/15 at 9:43pm
Easy work today, more worried about polishing form than anything else.
Squats: bar 6x5
            135 5x5

Overhead Press:
             Bar 5x5
             95# 5x5

Deadlifts:
           135# 5x5

Curls:   60# 5x5

Dumbells upright rows:
            40# 3x10
                   2x20
I thought about cleans but I was tired and Laura called for dinner.
I'm looking forward to getting my benchpress fixed so I can add that.
It was free, and once repaired it will adjust from flat to military position.

Edited by JSiau10 - 8/10/15 at 11:06pm
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:31pm
Not as much today as yesterday.

OHP: bar 5x5
            95 5x5

Skwaats: bar 5x5
               135 5x5

Upright rows:
                 40 5x10
               60 sets of 10, I either did 5or 6 sets, I lost count at one point due to distraction.
               80 4x10

Deadlifts: bar 5x5
                 135 3x5
                        1x3

Curls: 60 1x5 just cuz.
That's all folks.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/15 at 8:12pm
Workout 8/12/15
OHP: bar 5x5
            95 5x5

Swaats: bar 5x5
              135 5x5

Decline sit-ups: 27

Upright dumbbell rows:
              40 5x10
              60 5x10

Deadlifts: 135 2x5
                 185 1x5
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/15 at 8:42pm
Workout 08-15-15

OHP
BAR 7x10
95# 7x5

SKWAATS
BAR 7x10
135# 7x5

DUMBELL UPRIGHT ROWS
40# 5x10
50# 5x10
60# 5x10
70# 5x8
80# 5x5

Was going to do Deadlifts but after doing rows for an hour I was tired. I'll go back in tonight to finish deads and curls, maybe even get on the treadmill. Who knows.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/15 at 10:00pm
I worked out Sunday but it was with a friend who has never lifted before, so I did not keep track of sets or reps. Went fishing Monday so no gym time, and today was date night. Workout to follow tomorrow.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/15 at 11:33pm
Workout 08-19-15

OHP
Bar 3x5
95 4x5
105 1x5

Deadlift
95 2x5
135 2x5
185 2x5

Dumbbell rows
50 3x10
60 3x10
70 3x8
Skipped 80

Squats
95 1x5
135 3x5
155 2x5

I'm cutting out curls. My bench press rack is almost ready to use, so that will be added. What is great about it is that it is adjustable, so I can change up the angle.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/15 at 8:38am
My Bench Press rack, she liiiives!!! I finally got my bench press rack put together, I was missing part for a while. as soon as I got it assembled I loaded the bar and pressed for 20 reps. Understand, I have not had access to a bench press since the beginning of 2012 when an ice storm shut down my gym for 2 weeks and killed my momentum to keep coming back to the gym. I did the same thing here with my squat rack when I brought it home, I loaded the bar and squatted for 20. it is just my way of saying, "Hello you beautiful bastard, I missed you!!" After I got that out of the way I went ahead and did a semi-organized program of benching, doing as many sets of 5-3 as I could. I think I actually did more than 75 lifts total but I wasn't really counting so I don't know for sure. this will become a key to what I am calling arm and back day, which will be comprised of bench, overhead press, rows, and 1-3 accessory movements depending on what needs to be focused on that week.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 8:40am
Workout 8-26-15
leg day, a mild one at that.
Squats
bar 2x10
135 3x5
185 2x5
200 1x5

deadlift
95 1x10 
135 2x5
225 2x5
240 1x5

my buddy and I were both draggin this day, so we didn't do as much as we normally would.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/28/15 at 8:40am
Workout 8-28-15
Upper Body Day
Again, we weren't feeling it today so we took it easy.

OHP
bar 1x20
95 4x5
105 1x5

flat bench
bar 1x20
115 4x5
135 1x5
3x4
6x3
115 3x5

a lazy day, this workout should have only taken about 45 minutes to an hour, we were out there almost 2 and a half hours. Definitely picking up some preworkout.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617>
  Share Topic