Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Newbie: Getting back into throwing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newbie: Getting back into throwing
    Posted: 9/15/04 at 10:54am

Hi,

I am an x-collegiate thrower in my late 30’s and I am interested in getting into Scottish Heavy Events.

It has been a few years (ok many) since I seriously trained for throwing events.  What I was wondering is if anyone has any general recommendations for someone such as myself, and more specifically any good recommendations (books, web sites, etc.) for training at my age.

Thanks!

JGarrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGarrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/04 at 12:53pm

Hello Newbie,

Doug MacDonald training video should be out in October. Has lots of info on throwing, lifting, nutrition, plyometrics, etc. Excellent and complete, I think the best one I've seen.

Drop me a line.

Jim Garrick

Alberta Scottish Athletic Association

TRAIN HARD AND THROW FAR!
rgriffis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rgriffis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 1:35am

Jim,

Are you going to provide information on this site when Doug's video becomes available?

JGarrick View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGarrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 1:43am

Yes I will. As soon as the DVDs are completed and ready for sale I will provide complete information on how to get them,price, etc. I will also include a complete list as to what exactly are on the DVD's. I know for sure now that it will be a two DVD collection and will be ready sometime next month if not earlier.

Jim Garrick

TRAIN HARD AND THROW FAR!
Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 3:21am
Here s a website with 93-pages of information on
throwing related info : http://
www.myschoolonline.com/site/0,1876,1215-
197744-1-89144,00.html

I'm a big fan of the way Doug throws the caber....he
needs coaching in the other events...

Edited by Coach Mac
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
J.Slobodzian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.Slobodzian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 3:48am

Hello Coach, Doug's technique's in the WFD are unconventional to say the least but you have to admit that for a guy with no previous throwing experience before the highland games he has done extremely well with his technique. I attended a clinic of Doug's in May 2004 and I went from throwing the 56 wfd 23' to over 30', 28 from low 50's to mid 60's, stone from low/mid 30's to low 40's. I myself have only been in the games seriously for one year and I have zero throwing experience before that. His technique might not work best for you if your a former Discuss/Hammer/Shot thrower but for the guy that has some strength and no throwing experience it works well.

Cheers   

Edited by J.Slobodzian
G-man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 5:29am

http://www.highlandgames.net/ some good video clips

http://www.vp-prod.com/  training and Comp videos

http://www.nasgaweb.com/dbase/links.asp lots of good links

Where do you live? maybe some one in your area can give you some pointers

One Norse View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote One Norse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/04 at 10:06am

Hi Newbie, I'm 38 and about a year ahead of you in throwing. Since I started competing in September '03. I don't have collegiate throwing experience, so I'm not sure my advice will help ... but here goes nothing:

1) Find a better thrower than you to work with. The best way to do that is to find a games near you, enter, and go talk to the guys there. Most people are very helpful. Find out when and where they practice and ask to join.

2) Some throwers are better at doing than coaching. I have found that especially the best throwers get caught up in the small details of throwing better (the ones that they need to work on) and forget about the macro-scale motions that newbies screw up on.

3) Learn the weight throws (height and distance) with the 28 lb before you try it with the 56. Do not be surprised if you end up on your tail from trying the 56 the first few times. 

4) Watch video. There are a bunch of places on the web to watch short clips (that's how I started). Buy DVD's of games if you have the money to spend on them.

5) Find a way to record video of yourself and compare what you do with the pro's.

6) Accept all advice, but realize that if you get advice from 25 people, you will hear about 15 different approaches.

7) If you want cheap lighter weights and hammers to throw around, go to a bowling alley and ask for 16 or 18 lb balls that they may want to get rid of. You will need to drill holes in them. Be sure you stop often to clear the rubber from behind the bit. It can get hot, remelt, form a gasket, and build up pressure as you drill, causing a blast of rubber powder to eventually blow up in your face.  I use them for hammer heads because they are cheap, and their larger size doesn't make as nasty a hole in the lawn when they hit. They also make great lighter weights in case one of the females in your life can be convinced to try this stuff.

8) What has worked for me is: For the distance throws (hammer, weights, think smooth first, explosive second), on wfh, standing, don't get your feet too wide, put the weight in as far back as you can, squatting as low as possible, then explode up, leading with your head, shoulders, and finally your arm. Finish out with your arm pointing toward the bar.

9) At my first games I asked Vierra for advice on throwing wfd. All he told me was "On each rotation, cast the weight out in front of you, and then spin under it. Don't let the weight get behind your shoulder." When I am training and get frusterated, I always go back to that basic statement to look for a correction. '

Good Luck, and please post your progress as a possible map for other newbies to follow.

Steve Jystad

You are only given a little spark of madness -- you mustn't lose it.      Robin Williams
Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/04 at 3:42am
Joe- ANY information is better than NONE !!! I have
found that people learn in number of different ways
and from a number of different sources...!   Some of
the students can use there own language and get
across a point better than ANY coach.

IF you can find a way to "say" something 5 or 6
different ways than you start talking about the "art" of
coaching...NEWBIE...I hope these sources are an
inspiration to you !
Have a GREAT Day !
Rob " Coach Mac " Mac Kay
J.Slobodzian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J.Slobodzian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/17/04 at 4:29am

I did not mean what I said in a bad way toward yourself Coach, I was simply mentioning that with a technique he pretty much developed himself Doug has done well and it seems to be working for me as well. I am new to this sport and would like nothing more then to get as much info as possible that could help me out. I kept my eyes and ears open in Pleasanton trying to gather as much info as I could about technique and training as I am really just a beginner in the Heavy Games.   

J.S

Edited by J.Slobodzian
pfc95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfc95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/04 at 4:19pm

I am also a newbie looking on how to start...Thanks Coach Mac for your website...its given me a start.

I would like to get a dvd but I am not sure which one to get.  I see that VP production has one but its a little older.  On another thread, someone mentions a different training dvd coming out soon. Any suggestions one which to buy to start with?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/04 at 12:07pm

Start with the VP dvd .....thats all you'll need for now

Todd

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic