Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

i keep dropping the bag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i keep dropping the bag
    Posted: 7/21/10 at 7:27am

I just got my 3 tine pitch fork. Its brand new from Aubuchon hardware. I practiced last night and matched my PR, however, I would have fouled out because the bag kept slipping off. I think it might be coated with something to make it more slippery. This doesn't happen to me with other forks, so I am assuming it is just because it is new.

Any thoughts on fixing this issue? I'm guessing I should just sand it off a bit, but wasn't sure if there were any special tricks.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/10 at 7:47am
At what point in your bag stroke does it slip off?
"I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/10 at 8:07am
The slicker the better for the most part. 

If it's coming off it's likely a timing issue and not the fork or the bag..  
Eric Frasure View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '08 -'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Frasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/10 at 8:28am
Chances are if the bag is coming off in the back swing its
because your not keeping your arm long and the swing
rhythmic. Momentum will keep the bag on the fork if you
create a long sweeping motion during the throw.

I doubt any of this makes sense... but thats no different
than any other time I post something.

Good Luck!
Getting strong is easy... throwing is the hard part.     Craig Smith at SMHG 2007

throwstrong@gmail.com
jpfitness1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpfitness1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/10 at 11:56am

Originally posted by K-Monster K-Monster wrote:

At what point in your bag stroke does it slip off?

that just sounds really bad

anyways...is mostly falls off during the back swing. i'm trying to take a bigger swing, actually getting the fork to be straight up and down. occasionally it comes off during the swing itself, but it probably starts on the back swing.

I love the sheaf, so I really want to get this working.

K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 4:08am
if it shoots off the fork on the way forward then you're
bending your left arm, doing a bicep pose, then
straightening your left arm. if it is coming off on the
backswing, then either you're not sticking the bag in a way
that's suitable for your style, or try spraying sticky (my
fav is cramer tape adherent) on the tines.

big backswing is good, so nothing wrong with using a touch
of sticky
"I train in the sand pit in McDonald's. I do a few laps. I go through the tunnel a few times. The kids don't mind if I smoke. Plus, when I'm done, lunch is right there."- DLR 2003
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 5:42am

jpfitness-

How many swings are you taking?  If you are taking a lot- more than two- try taking one backstroke.  Since there are only three factors that determine how far an object will go- speed being the most important- don't spray your fork with anything but maybe some WD40.  I love Kearney- and must say a little disappointed I didn’t make his bro-love/lust list- and I think he is giving great advice up to that point.  Try sticking the bag differently; make sure arms are straight- and shoulders over the bag. It’s all about timing.

Satch

Eric Frasure View Drop Down
Top 10 in the USA - '08 -'12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Frasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 6:39am
P.S.

Every time I listen to Coach Satchwell in any event I throw
better...

He is without a doubt one of the best throws coaches our
sport has seen (not to mention one of the best announcers).

Your the man Satch!!!
Getting strong is easy... throwing is the hard part.     Craig Smith at SMHG 2007

throwstrong@gmail.com
K-Monster View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote K-Monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 8:26am
Satch I do love you. I just prefer the younger stuff.

Something that I picked up straight from Satch and I still
appreciate it when I see it because I think it's a classy
way to throw the sheaf: don't dance with it, swing it back
and forth, or any of that other foreplay crap. Just get
yourself set, get your head right, one swing to get it
back, then drop the hammer on it.
Larry Satchwell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry Satchwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 9:30am

OK- Special K- I totally understand that-

great advice- drop the hammer and drop it hard- let your butt settle into the ground- knees bent- bag high-don’t pull until you transfer your weight to blocking side and let ‘er rip!

Satch

cstclair View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstclair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/10 at 1:44pm

Could be how you are putting the tines through the bag.

Most people only go through the corner of the bag at a 45 degree angle and this could be part of the problem.

Try going into the same holes that you are used to (towards the corner) but this time angle the fork so that the tines go straight towards the ground about 2-3 inches into the bag and then change the angle of the fork by pulling the handle of the fork back towards you and send the tines out the side of the bag. It looks like the fork has gone through at a 45 but is actually kind of "hooked" into the bag.
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/10 at 2:00am
I am with Larry on this one, why did I not make the list?  I mean sure, it is a December, December bromance, but hey, I am going to be 40 someday.  Is it because that dude at the mall said I am an autumn?  Sure I wore those white sneakers after Labor day, but cut me some slack man.  They went with my outfit.
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/10 at 3:25am

Listen to Satch...  All of us here have been taught by Satch in one way or another!!!

I was having a really BAD start in Sheaf at Grandfather- Satch said a couple choice words and I ended up finishing with 31 that day!!!

"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic