Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Andy Crowley take 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/19 at 8:35pm
9/25 throws

Heavy hammer: 4 throws. Best series of my life. 78, 81, 84, 82
Added a wind. It payed off.

Light hammer: probably 8ish throws. Mostly garbage. A couple of 103s though. Couldn't hit a finish to save my life for the most part.
Andy Crowley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/19 at 1:42pm
9/26 bench and jackin' around

Bench 5x6@195 nice and easy. Pretty painless after warming up and locking in my form.

Smith machine incline
5(possibly 6)x6@205 I lost count of how many sets I did. I know it was at least 5

Luke was deadlifting and I'm dumb, so I took a couple pulls. Got 435 for a double overhand single and a 385 double overhand deficit single. The deadlift bar at the gym is so nice and skinny for my baby hands. They felt really good.

After that, Luke talked me into doing some hang cleans. I worked up to 225x3. The pull felt awesome and they were flying. The catch is still awkward, but the explosiveness is good which is the goal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/27/19 at 2:12pm
9/27 skwaaat

5,5,5+
275x5, 315x5, 355x10 woo

Fronts
5x6@245 brutal. Not a lot of weight, but a lot of volume for not being able to breathe.

Stiff leg deads
5x6@285

I got the jelly legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/19 at 2:03pm
9/30 OHP

I woke up with very sore shoulders the last couple days. I'm not ready to freak out and blame bench quite yet, but I may be leaning that way. Time will tell.

Strict press 3,3,3+
120x3, 140x3, 155x7. Yay

Z Press
6x4@115

Dips hurt
3x8@bodyweight

Seated smith machine OHP
3x8@185

Skull crushers
6x4@35s on the EZ curl bar

Overhead cable extensions
3x12

Cable pushdowns
3x12

Face pulls
3x12

I hope my shoulders are just being babies, and I don't have to quit benching again. If I do though, not the end of the world.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/19 at 6:45pm
Also 9/30. Throws

42- 3 one turns best of 31
2 turns best of 40 pretty whatevers. My right shoulder was a little hurry on the initial push out of the back so I took a few beans off my entry.

Open stone- 3 stands best of 40. That was cool

Some glides best of 41 high. Less cool

6 wob pulls. 5/6 arced. Trending in the right direction.
BrainSmasher View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrainSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/19 at 12:41am
One turns are a thing!
Luke Crowley
Everything. All the time.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/19 at 6:54am
One turns can go STRAIGHT to hell!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/19 at 2:20pm
I'm team Jeff on this one. F one turns.

10/1 deads

3,3,3+

355, 380, 425x9. One more than last week! Woot. My plus set ended up being the same weight as last week because after reading why Jim Wendler recommends using a training max, it made good sense to me so that's what I done starting with this workout.

2.5" deficits
5x6@345

Pullups
5×6@ +15. Felt silly with an adorable purple kettlebell dangling between my legs, but I'm actually really happy with this. Pullups are progressing nicely.

Neutral grip landmine rows
5x6@200

Single arm db rows
2x5 each arm @100s

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/02/19 at 9:15pm
10/2 bench n such

Bench 6x4@205
I was nervous about potential hurties on this but it felt fine. Everything moved nice and fast as it should. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

Incline
6×4@195
Struggled to to find my groove on these but when I did they were good. When I missed it, they were considerably less good.

Cleans
5x3 first rep from the floor then 2 hangs @205. Cleans from the floor are wierd. I've never been good at them. These were nice and snappy though. it's nice to be able to do these again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/19 at 9:33pm
Texas sized 10/4 squat

3,3,3+
295, 335, 375x10 woot. I think that's a rep PR. I'm sick for the first time in well over a year. Pretty sure I have the plague aka I'm pretty stuffy and fell kinda blah. Pretty sure those are symptoms of the plague. Anyway, I debated whether or not to lift today. If it was earlier in the week, I probably wouldn't have, but knowing I've got the weekend to recover, I said F it. I'm glad I did. Everything felt great for whatever reason.

Front squat
6x4@255. Probably should have gone a little heavier, but it's fine.

Stiff leg deads
6x4@295. Same deal as fronts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/19 at 8:02pm
10/6
Go Pack! Suck on that, Dallas!

That is all.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/19 at 9:03pm
10/7 OHP

5,3,1+
135, 145, 165x5 Boo. First three reps were super snappy, but then I had to breathe. I can never seem to recover after that. oh wel.

Z Press
8x3@125

Dips
6x4@ +70

Lean away lateral raises
4x10 per arm @25

Reverse pec deck rear dealt dealie
6x12

Bilateral dumbell curls
3x12 @25
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/19 at 7:38am
I approve of this training session 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/19 at 9:05pm
Yay! Honestly, sometimes when I don't want to do certain things in the gym that I know I should I think "don't forget you have to log this" so then I do the thing (mostly). At least logging is keeping me accountable if nothing else even if only you and Luke (sometimes) read it. So thank you.

10/8 deads

5,3,1+
355, 405, 455x6 woot. Rep PR I think.

2" deficit deads
6x4@355

Pull ups
6x4@ +25
I've noticed my brace has gotten a lot better on deads and OHP, and I think pull ups are at least partially responsible along with Z Press. when I first started doing them, my core would be cashed afterwards. Now, not as much. Correlation isn't causation, but it makes sense to me.

Neutral grip landmine rows
6x4@205
Not sure if this is a lift that really lends itself to low reps, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.

This workout made me happy. Jeff, how do you feel about it?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/19 at 12:50pm
10/10 bench and cleans

Bench
8×3@225
Sets felt better and better as they went along. I think I have my setup where I want it now. Cool beans.

Smith machine incline
8x3@225

Hang cleaned
5x2@225

Good nuff.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/19 at 1:11pm
Andy that deadlift workout looked solid AF. I also am a big fan of landmine rows. A very underrated movement and I feel it in my lats WAY more than DB rows. 

I may do some on Saturday! 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/19 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

Andy that deadlift workout looked solid AF. I also am a big fan of landmine rows. A very underrated movement and I feel it in my lats WAY more than DB rows. 

I may do some on Saturday! 

Agree 100 billion percent on the landmine rows. They're also much nicer on the biceps tendon, which is something I always need to be cognicent of, sadly. I miss my barbell rows, but I'd take landmine over db rows all day errday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/19 at 9:20pm
10/10 working on my night sheaf

It was feelin' good and flyin' high tonight. Even the 20 didn't feel like complete balls.

Ended the night with a lot of sweaty hack and some basketball hoop rim grabbing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/19 at 4:33pm
10/11 squat and other stuff

5,3,1+
315, 355, 395x9 yeehaw!

Fronts
8x3@265

Stiff leg deads
8x3@305

Then I went a little crazy. I was a week behind on some of my accessory lifts and it was really bugging me. I hate asymmetry, so I figured I'd get some of that caught up today.

2" deficit deads
8x3@365

Pullups
8x3@+35

Next week is a deload/games prep week, so I figured overreaching a bit on this workout wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. Maybe even elicit an supercompensation effect if you believe in that type of witchcraft.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:19pm
10/14 throws
Heavy hammer
10ish throws. Best of 84. Probably 5 or so were over 80. The rest were kinda of dunp throws but even those were between 76 and 78 so that's cool. Sticking with three winds.

42lb heavyweight
8ish throws. All but my first throw were over 40. Best of 41 high. I'm starting to realize it's better to slow my body down and hit a good finish than just go all monkey fast and hope for the best.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/19 at 3:54pm
It's all about the finish. I preach that constantly. If the finish isn't the most explosive and aggressive part, you've gone too fast. 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/19 at 5:11pm

It's all about the finish. I preach that constantly. If the finish isn't the most explosive and aggressive part, you've gone too fast. 

You could have told me that 11 years ago, jerk.

Quick ohp lift just to do something. Sitting at about 206 today, so need to drop a wee bit of weight by saturday. No biggie.

6x2@135 supersetted with 5 pullups.

That was it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/15/19 at 1:16pm
10/15 squat
225x5, 315x3, 365x2, 405x3x2 all beltless

Pause in the hole front squats
225x2, 275x1, 295z1, 295x1, 315x1
These were feeling oh so good, but I shut it down there. Now is not the time for a gym pr.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/19/19 at 9:11pm
10/19 Twin Cities Tossers Highland Games

Last game of the season. Can't hold anything back. We had beautiful weather, a great group of throwers, ADs, and judges. Couldn't have asked for a better games. A huge thanks to all those involved. As far as my throws, I'm pretty darn happy. They went as such:

WOB- 15. Would have liked to have done better but okay.

Sheaf- 25. Low point of the day. Did wierd stuff at 28

Caber- 12:00. Not a super difficult stick but I did what I should do so that's good

Braemar- 34 season PR. really happy with that.

Open- 41 not bad but there was more there for sure.

Heavyweight- 43. Lifetime PR. me=happy

Lightweight- 62 maybe a PR. Scratched a much bigger throw so meh

Heavy hammer- 82. Glad to be over 80

Light hammer- 102. Pretty cashed at this point in the day.

This has definitely been my best season ever. I'm sad that it's over. I have so much more to give. Hopefully the weather is decent enough to practice a couple more times, otherwise it's time to get strong and throw puds.
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/20/19 at 9:48pm
Lifetime PR on HW.  Excellent!

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/19 at 12:53pm
Nice season man! Really wrapped it up nicely. 

Now to move onto throwing in the A's by gaining a casual 40# over the winter!

Let the Bulkening begin!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/19 at 4:17pm

Nice season man! Really wrapped it up nicely. 

Now to move onto throwing in the A's by gaining a casual 40# over the winter!

Let the Bulkening begin!

Haha, thanks bud. My baby bird skeleton doesn't even like me being 200. It's a fight to maintain my weight around 195-200. I have to eat a lot more than I'd like most of the time, but I have gotten much better at eating, so that's cool.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/19 at 8:24pm
10/22 OHP

First day back in the gym after a week off. Felt sluggish and disinterested. Mostly because I don't like OHP.

5,5,5+
115, 135, 150x8

Z Press
4x8@100
These felt particularly bad. My shoulders were tighter than usual I guess because I had a very difficult time getting my head through to lock out. Also, I think my core is still fatigued from the games.

Dips
4x8@ +50
Finally, something that felt good. No shoulder pain. Woot woot.

Lean away lateral raises
3x12 per arm @25

Rear delt reverse fly machine doodler
3x12

Bilateral dumbell curls
2x20 @20s

Pumps a'plenty today.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/19 at 6:58am
Z Press is great my upper back's ability to extend is almost nonexistent so my legs usually over flex and cramp lol
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy Crowley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/19 at 11:22am

Z Press is great my upper back's ability to extend is almost nonexistent so my legs usually over flex and cramp lol

Oh yes, there is much cramping. These had been feeling a lot better as far as being able to get a good lockout, but yesterday not so much. I should probably work on some thoracic mobility and loosen up my last, but I probably won't. I'll just wallow in my poverty press sadness.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 30>
  Share Topic