Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Get off my lawn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 12:42pm
2/8/10
Deads up to 585

Rows
Bis

What a shit workout.  I didn't feel great going in and was cramping some for whatever reason.  Nothing got better. 
Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 1:26pm

Shades of the oft discussed, mysterious Full Body Lock.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 1:29pm
Ya, and I'm scared of it now and think any cramping will render me helpless.

Bloodwork again?  Maybe.
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 2:24pm
Calcium/magnesium/potassium/Vitamin D.
"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 10:51pm
Got all that covered Wayne, last time we ran blood work when I locked up it was elevated CPK levels.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/10 at 11:18pm
Huh:  I presume they ruled out all of the really bad possibilities last time?  Do you think it's a sign of overtraining (excessive inflammatory processes from muscular breakdown)?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 12:59am
Yea, we did several rounds of bloodwork, ekg, etc...  It's not overly common to have the response that I had, which is why the docs were basically guessing, as was I. 

I do think that training/overtraining is probably responsible, and there are other criteria that can cause that, that I probably meet as well.  I'm usually really good about knowing my body and when to back down and rest, but I just can't seem to pin down exactly what I do/have done when it happens. 

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 2:13am
That sucks...  Keep an eye on that!!!!  Keep us informed..
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 2:31am
Other than the assumed terrible pain, are you pretty conscious when this happens?  Are you aware of your surroundings etc.?
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 2:42am
Yup, when it happened last year I just basically had no muscle control, couldn't pick up my legs or even grip anything. 

Now, on the rare occasion that it happens, if I lift my legs i basically get a shooting pain in my adductors, or my forearms feel really tight.  That sort of thing.  Weird.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 4:14am

How often does/did this happen?

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 4:27am
I've only fully locked up once, and that was after a day of competing in 90 degree weather.

And ftr, i was very very scary to feel that helpless and have your body not work like it should.
thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/09/10 at 5:01am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I've only fully locked up once, and that was after a day of competing in 90 degree weather.

And ftr, i was very very scary to feel that helpless and have your body not work like it should.

I'm sure it would be, especially for someone that is an athlete.  Like Wayne said, I'm sure the Dr's ruled out the big problems, but I'm still glad to hear it only happened after a very hot day.

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/13/10 at 12:56am
2/12/10

Shrugs
Chins
Laterals
Face Pulls
Tris

Just to get something in.
CraigGallo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraigGallo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/14/10 at 3:57pm

That's exactly my point, and this obv applies more to geared lifting.  Why would they not overhead press?  Do they honestly think there is no benefit there (not your crew specifically, but PLers in general).  And btw, before my wife set one of her bench WRs she did no flat benching and only overhead pressing for an entire training cycle.   

I think a lot of the band work is unnecessary, I think a lot of the board work is unnecessary, etc... 

What it has become is not what it intended to be.  It was a basic strength sport with three specific lifts, but you had to be STRONG all over to do well.  Gear has taken that away, unfortunately. 

I will say though, that to be successful you have to spend A LOT of time in the gear, cause it's just as much about being able to sew and manipulate fabric as it is about the movements. 

Powerlifting is just not athletic, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. 

you couldnt be more right craig. damn dude you and i think alike, ive posted on powerlifting watch about what a circus the sport is.

Wes Kiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Kiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/10 at 12:58am
I saw above the discussion about the loss of muscle control and/or the total body lock up.  I was curious, is there any possible way that you might have hit your head.  I have seen several instances where a few days after an athlete gets a concussion or some sort of head trama they can have a total body lock.  They have difficulty gripping and moving.  It sounded similar but If you have not had any type of head injury I am way off.  Just curious.
Alright, let's do this.

Huckleberrybeardcompany.com
Crossfittrainingvalley.com
www.kaijax.com
www.kiltedfreek.weebly.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/10 at 1:18am
Nope, no head injury Wes.  My blood work indicated really high CPK levels.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/10 at 1:20am
Originally posted by CraigGallo CraigGallo wrote:

you couldnt be more right craig. damn dude you and i think alike, ive posted on powerlifting watch about what a circus the sport is.

You should post a training log craig, i'd love to see what you are doing.
Wes Kiser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes Kiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/15/10 at 1:39am
That is crazy then.  Does it happen during lifts or is it after you get done.
Alright, let's do this.

Huckleberrybeardcompany.com
Crossfittrainingvalley.com
www.kaijax.com
www.kiltedfreek.weebly.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 3:45am
When I get done it seems.  I've only had the full body lock once, and basically woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt move.  Sucked. 
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 8:46am

basically woke up in the middle of the night and couldnt move.  Sucked. 

Kara was thrilled though.

Dave Barron
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 10:42am
lol, I would have given anything for her to be there so i wasn't stuck on the floor in an empty hotel room unable to move at 3:30am.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 10:44am
There's a couple of funny rejoinders there, but I'm going to leave it alone.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 10:50am
I left it open...

thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/16/10 at 11:13am

I'm sorry to stick my nose in here but did they have you see a neurologist?  I think I'm getting that although there was only one big "incident" there are lesser symptoms that happen more frequently.  Am I right?  I know there is some thing with elevated CPK levels and muscle aches, but I'm not an MD.  A neuro person might be your best bet if this is a continuing concern. OK, I'll mind my own business now.

Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:43pm
Yea, I had a ton of tests done.  I thinking (read: hoping) that my symptoms are a result of some nutritional/vitamin/mineral/water imbalance. 

I upped my water intake today , which has recently been poor by any standards, and noted an improvement (and also have been using 2-3g of vitC per day).  Not giving the credit there yet, but fingers are crossed. 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:45pm
2/18/10
Front Squats 365x5x5

That was all. 
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 12:59pm

Did they check for Lupus? Lupus has those types of symptoms.

I hope its nothing serious.

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 1:00pm
Craig, load up on minerals also....
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/18/10 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by S McCracken S McCracken wrote:

Did they check for Lupus? Lupus has those types of symptoms.

I hope its nothing serious.

It was last June, and like i said be did multiple rounds of blood work, testing, etc... 

My understanding for Lupus diagnosis, with a quick google search, is that you have to meet certain criteria, a checklist if you will:

http://www.lupusresearchinstitute.org/lupus/lupus_diagnosis

Which I don't at all.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 133>
  Share Topic