Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Get off my lawn!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 133>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/10 at 7:55am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

those guys train funny.  I still think a lot of what they do would be better served doing other things, but i digress. 

What do you mean? I train with a bunch of powerlifters so I was just wondering what you meant. And by train, I mean I lift with them on squat night only because of all the weird shit they'll do the rest of the time. They seem to do everything for 3 specific lifts, whether it helps you get bull strong or not, if it'll help say a sumo DL lockout, they'll do it. For instance, they can bench a ton but would have issues overhead pressing.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:18am
That's exactly my point, and this obv applies more to geared lifting.  Why would they not overhead press?  Do they honestly think there is no benefit there (not your crew specifically, but PLers in general).  And btw, before my wife set one of her bench WRs she did no flat benching and only overhead pressing for an entire training cycle.   

I think a lot of the band work is unnecessary, I think a lot of the board work is unnecessary, etc... 

What it has become is not what it intended to be.  It was a basic strength sport with three specific lifts, but you had to be STRONG all over to do well.  Gear has taken that away, unfortunately. 

I will say though, that to be successful you have to spend A LOT of time in the gear, cause it's just as much about being able to sew and manipulate fabric as it is about the movements. 

Powerlifting is just not athletic, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. 

=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/10 at 8:38am

Yeah, I figured your answer would be like that. You seem to have the same opinions as I do about it. As far as powerlifting goes, I'm a much bigger fan of raw powerlifting than the gear. But then that even sparks debate on whether raw includes wraps and monolifts...

Not only has the gear gotten out of hand, but kids nowadays rush to the gear to get a quick fix for their need to hit a big lift. They just want that new PR, but is it really a PR when they can't do it without the gear? I just think it gets out of hand. That's why lifting stones and throwing trees seems more fun to me.

thegnome View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thegnome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/10 at 12:00pm
Speaking of powerlifting and gear I bumped into Jamie Harris a few weeks ago when I was back home.  He looked great, lost a ton of weight and appears really healthy.  He said he's lifting again just for maintaininga nd the fun of it.  I told him he should give throwing a go. 
Andrew G

Vada a bordo CAZZO!!!!
Silverback View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Plow Mule

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Silverback Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 12:38am
I was in powerlifting when gear started coming into the sport.  It just kept going until you wore a car to lift.  The whole athletic spin is the reason I matriculated to highland games.  It was making powerlifting weird.  And that was why I left bodybuilding.  You look at the canvass bench shirt and wonder how many boy scouts did they rob of tents to make that?  When the dude can't get the bar down to his chest until they put 405 on the bar, and he could not even bench that without a shirt.  You have weird.  C is on target bigtime here. 
Mule

Sportkilt
AST Sport Supplements
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:23am

Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

And btw, before my wife set one of her bench WRs

I love that you can begin sentances that way.

Dave Barron
will barron View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '03, '04, '07, '08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 1:38am

Originally posted by Mr. Natural Mr. Natural wrote:

sentances (??)  

clearly, I owed you this - as pointless a gesture it may be... 

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:33am
wp Will.

1/29/10 Official Weigh-in: 293

Slowly but surely creeping toward 300.  Imma get some front squats tomorrow.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 5:48am
OK, C. what are "face pulls"?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

OK, C. what are "face pulls"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kexr7CqnVng
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/29/10 at 9:38am
gotcha...OK, you do these a lot, looks like.  What's the benefit from a throwing standpoint?  Is there something specific?
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 2:01am
I like it as a "finisher" type movement.  Nope, nothing throwing specific.  Although having a strong upper back/traps is pretty much specific to everything imo.  Not to mention big shoulders/back/traps just looks cool 
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 6:14am
1/30/10
Front Squats - up to 455 and 500 singles

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ECpeJ8ZH-0

I'm starting to feel a little better about my strength levels.  I still have 4 solid months of training before I throw anything, so my goal is to be the all-around strongest I've ever been by the time I compete.  
Wayne Hill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne Hill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 7:17am
Now THAT's how you do a front squat!  Nice, nice depth!

"We may be small, but we're slow." - MIT Rugby
chirolifter View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chirolifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/30/10 at 8:37am
Nice squat Craig...  Way to throw the hips forward.  Glad to see your gettin back...  BTW the socks are a good flair...lol
"It's what you do when no one is watching that builds character."

Gene Flynn
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/31/10 at 11:24am
thx guys
S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/10 at 8:52am
Looks like you have a new GYM.
North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:53am
Yea, friend of ours runs that place.  It's nice.

EatonBarbell.com

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:56am
I'm beat up.

Deload week.

Last night I did some chins.  That's all.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 3:56am
So Kara was making a bunch of chicken, cause I've been working really hard on stuffing my face trying to put some lbs on.  I figured I could throw it in some containers with some taters and I'd have a couple meals ready to go. 

The problem is that I ate it all last night for dinner
=Travis= View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote =Travis= Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 4:15am

It must cost a fortune to feed you

S McCracken View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 4:15am

Craig wernt you doing somthing with the Eggology or Egg Whites International liquid egg guys. Thats good stuff should help keep the weight on.

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 4:36am

I can put away 6-8 of those and thought I was being gluttenous(?).

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 2:00am
Quote It must cost a fortune to feed you

Yea, it does cost a bunch, lol.

Quote Craig wernt you doing somthing with the Eggology or Egg Whites International liquid egg guys. Thats good stuff should help keep the weight on.

Eggs White International, but I don't have anything to do with them anymore.  I didn't really like that stuff much.  The only supps I even take are just weight gain/protein shakes. 

Quote   I can put away 6-8 of those and thought I was being gluttenous(?).

Step up yo game!
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 3:13am
2/3/10
Floor Press

HighPulls
FacePulls

Off until Monday, I need the rest.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 5:32am
Did you do any foam/pvc rolling?  If so, how did it go?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 5:42am
I did my back last night for a few minutes before we left the gym, I liked it, its a good pain. 

I need to look up how to do certain areas.  After what you guys said about it, i'm kind of excited to do it.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 6:00am

Here is a link to one good article.  There are lots more available online.  It is a "good pain", but if you are tight and have a lot of adhesions etc it can be quite a lot of good pain.  I have seen this bring tears to people's eyes when working their TFL and IT band.  On the other hand, if you are very loose and supple you might not feel much at all.  As I said, though, you can expect rapid improvements.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_train ing_performance_repair/feel_better_for_10_bucks

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 6:08am
Thanks for the link, ill check it out.  I def want to give it a shot for a little while, esp going into the season.
Todd Bell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Todd Bell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/04/10 at 7:45am
now i want chicken and ribs............
crouch,touch,pause,engage
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 133>
  Share Topic