Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Duncan McCallum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 189>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 5:41am

I read somewhere if you are in the gym for more than 2 hours 45 minutes you aren't making gains, you are making friends.

That's just me though. And I still have friends!

Dave Barron
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 5:58am
Does 2 hours include sauna and extra long shower?
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 6:02am

I guess I need some friends...

The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 6:45am
Ya, 2 hours is a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time training imo.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 7:08am

Truly, if I did not have to negotiate with/around everyone else in the gym, re-rack a bunch of BS left on the racks, and had a partner with me to help get things going I would be faster.  I do what I can to keep my rest consistent, I don't jawjack, etc.

As it is, this is a pretty good clip for me.  Apparently not for others.

I will time tomorrow's workout and give it the old college try. 

The man in the arena.
Quint T Melius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/10 at 12:39pm

Duncan,

Don't worry no one can stand to lift with me for longer than an hour and half.

If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/23/10 at 12:51am
Then I'll be the first Quint.
The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/24/10 at 2:48pm

Sunday

Yeah...I didn't plan on breaking the Sabbath...oh well.

Incline 275x5x6

Nautilus Iso Incline 3 wheels per sidex5x15

Cambered Curls 90x5x10

TBar rows 6 wheelsx4x8

Lat Pulls Wide 295(stack)5x8 With wraps and a bit of lean

Lat Pulls Close 295(stack)5x8 With wraps and a bit of lean

Nautilus Pec Flyes 200x5x10

1 hour, 17 minutes.  I'm working on it.

"Beyond this door is a corridor, and at the other end of the corridor, is the dagger. Oh, there's one other thing. You must carry this glass of water all the way without spilling a drop."

The man in the arena.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 12:54am

Today was blah...

Squat

365x5x5

Leg Press

Started with 10 plates for 10, then added 2 more for 10 each set.  Ended with 24 plates total.  Hammer Strength Iso Press thing.

That was about all I felt like doing.  Motivation was subpar today.

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 6:13am
No shame in that leg workout brother, you are how many weeks off of surgery?
If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 7:02am

8 or 9...give or take.  Finally starting to get some definition back in the left leg.

Too bad HG's aren't just about definition...

So, what are we lifting Friday night?

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 11:34am
Well bro I probably can't even get there until 7 so that may not work out.  I hate lifting that late and would not like to impose that on onthers.  Besides it might cut into my "preperation" for the clinic and I am affraid if we go lift I won't be able to throw the next day.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/25/10 at 2:14pm
Hey Duncan, most of my workouts have been 45-50 minutes but recently they've been creeping up to an hour to an hour and a quarter.

I chalk it up to just getting generally tougher, stronger and more Manly.

Admittedly, recently I've spent at least 5-6-7 minutes lying on the floor, groaning while my heart rate comes down, but...whatever....
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 12:30am

Tuesday...Going out of town tonight to the wilds of West Texas so I had to stack my workouts.  I do not recommend this.  Thankfully, I still had a vial of Quint's blood from our last throwdown.  Mixed that with some Creadrive, a hair plucked from Spencer's beard, a bit of towel I stole from the Vincent's, and stared at a picture of CrazySaladBoy's abs before I went to the gym.  Eye of the Tiger.

Bench (weight, sets, reps)

315x5x7 - Thank you to the Marine that pulled the last rep of the last set off my face.

Iso Bench Press - 4 platesx5x8...thought this would be a good polisher.  Yeah, it was more like a plate-loaded beatdown.

Pec Dec

190x5x20 - That's as high as the machine went.  On a humorous note, I got stuck in the machine.  My FRICKIN GUNZ got in the way!

Shrugs

315x5x20 - All different grips...supersetted with the pec dec (After I finally extricated myself)

Bodyweight dips

5x15 - Nice forward lean, focusing on speed...down under control and powering through the extension

Caber Curls

150x5x15...you know, 'cuz Craig does 'em.

Single arm cable curls

40x5x15 - All on the left arm, full extension, full contraction

1 hour 23 minutes.  I am tired.

"It's possible, Pig, I might be bluffing. It's conceivable, you miserable, vomitous mass, that I'm only lying here because I lack the strength to stand. But, then again... perhaps I have the strength after all."

The man in the arena.
buckcali View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buckcali Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/10 at 9:48am

Nice work Duncan...

B

Viking Strength View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Viking Strength Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/27/10 at 6:12am

This training log is awesome J I am always realizing how week I am in everything compare to you and Quint, except deadlift maybe. Might be the reason why I always loose to you guys at the HG. If you guys are going to work out on Friday you know you are always welcome to come to Metroflex Gym. You can show Quint and Jonathan how real men train. (Not saying that I am the real man)   

dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/28/10 at 6:47am

Caber Curls

-----------------

Dang, learned something new!  Even watched Craig's vid on youtube.  WOW!  I can see how there might be a bit of sport specific carry-over there.

Let's see how many gym rats scoff at me for body english.  Can't count the number of times I have tried to explain I am lifting for a sport, not a pose...different approach!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/01/10 at 12:19pm

Monday...So I woke up and felt like a bag of squashed possum heads...I felt bad, and my knee felt worse.  So I skipped my early morning lift.  I caught up with it this evening.  Was supposed to do squats but the knee was not having it...

When life hands me lemons...I stick them in my pants.

Bench

315x5sets of 8...no failures this time...Google that!!!

Close Grip Bench

225x3x10...FAST...hands about 8 inches apart

Hammer Strength Iso Bench Press

5 plates per sidex5 sets of 8

DB Overheads (2 Handed)

125x5x10

Tricep Pushdowns

320 (Stack) x5sets of 8

Cambered Bicep Curls

100x5x10...supersetted (word?) with single arm (left) cable curls...that left bicep will just not develop

Hammer Strength Machine Flyes

200 (Stack) x6sets of 15

Monster Milk FTW!!

I know what you're thinking, but yes...that really did just happen.

Lift strong y'all!!!

The man in the arena.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quint T Melius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 12:53am

Now Duncan that looks like my kind of workout, I guess I rubbed off on you this weekend. 

Drop that Zero!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:03am

Dude....so funny!!!  Irvin should have done that...I guess he didn't really want to be right!

Yup, I go to the gym now and think WWQD?

Is that Ric Flair over there?

The man in the arena.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:27am

Dude....is this you?

Duncan big...

(Except I am pretty sure your legs would not be that big from your work out above....)

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 1:51am
lol, i was thinking the same thing.

You and quint are gonna look good when you guys get on stage for your bodybuilding shows!  I can't say you'll throw far, but you'll have some good looking pecs!

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:14am

It's ok Craig...I don't throw far anyway. 

Doing what I can, which is enough for now.

So many of these presses/flyes/etc go away when my leg is back in one piece and I can do other things.

The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:20am

Something is always better than nothing.  Unless it's nothing cause you've already done something, and something has worn you down.  Then the nothing is actually doing something, even though the something is nothing. 

You know what I'm talking about.
dl_buffy View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dl_buffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:27am

Hey Duncan....just picking on you.  I know it totally sucks to have a bum wheel.  Frick it can hurt just sitting at your desk.

Hopefully we are just keeping you motivated. 

As for what Craig said...you know he might have something in that twisted up logic there. 

KiltBill View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiltBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:31am
Great workout, next game when they stand the caber up, rip your
shirt off, do a most muscular pose while growling loudly at said
caber. Then grab it and go. Flex biceps while pulling on caber. Crowd
will love you. Please take pictures so I can hang in my gym.
You rank up there with Myles as far as the recovery & working thru
the pain. Keep going my overly muscled brother.
Bosyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bosyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:46am
I have a feeling that if he just ripped his shirt off and growled at the cabre it would flip to a perfect 12 without him touching it.
Remind me why an Englishman is playing in a Scottish game in Texas?
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 2:47am

I think a slightly simplified version of what Craig was saying could be represented as:

a > b

however, a + a = c

and, c < a

or perhaps even, c = b

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/02/10 at 3:28am

Oh no...I absolutely understand where y'all are coming from.  Hell, I am a little embarrassed that all I can really do right now is upper body and some lower body lifts when it feels good.

I accept all comments and advice humbly; it renews my sense ofg purpose and offers me perspective.  I tell folks all the time that I am in a sport where most of my competition has forgotten more about the Games than I am likley to learn.  This extends from the weight room to the trig to the podium.  For that I am grateful.

My workouts are not necessarily the most conducive to the Games, and I will be the first to admit that.  I am comfortable with lots of upper body reps, curls, etc.; to be the most successful Highland Athlete I can be, I have to get into the lifts and training that makes me uncomfortable...I have to turn weaknesses into strengths.

And I will.

The man in the arena.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/03/10 at 5:54pm
Knee all mangled up or not, I wish I could squat what you do.  However, this is the best thing about what you wrote today.

...to be the most successful Highland Athlete I can be, I have to get into the lifts and training that makes me uncomfortable...I have to turn weaknesses into strengths.

I'm gonna print that out and tape it to my monitor.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 189>
  Share Topic