Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

New Thing For This off season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S McCracken Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/08 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by M-BAAB M-BAAB wrote:

Mixed nuts(greater variety), cheeses (lo-fat is better of course), dark fishy fish(salmon,sardines,etc) , good ole peanut butter , eggs .....anyone else?

Eggs, Skim milk, yogurts, not the frozen kind. You older folks over 50 need to watch the nuts, diverticulitis almost killed and old coach of mine.  Some meal replacement shakes have some great alternatives as well. High protein low carb shakes, watch the ones with high cholesterol. Natures best makes a zero carb version that's pretty good and EAS light used to be a good one.

North American Highlander Ohio Chair

www.nahighlander.com

Mountain Man View Drop Down
Craig Smith Fan Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/08 at 8:22am

Thanks for the list. I get it for the pm snack and the late night snack, but for supper...do you eat a steak and cheese or hamburger and peanut butter? Is that all of it?

Robin Walker

"The danger in life is not to set a goal too high and never reach it, but to set a goal too low and reach it."
GSP quoting Michaelangelo
Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/08 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Peter Ingleton Peter Ingleton wrote:

What is a Burpee Hip Snatch?  I know what a burpee is and what a hip snatch is, but I cannot picture what a combination of these movements looks like.

Peter, I worked in some snatch grip burpees into my latest training video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4wzMOq5lRY

AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/08 at 11:31am
Nice work Greg.  Gotta try the lateral lunges.
Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/08 at 11:59am

Greg,

Got it.  Arguably more of a Burpee Power Snatch, but whatever.  They look ... tiring.  Just out of interest, what is your regular Hip Snatch max?  Is that onto straight legs, a quarter squat, or into split?

How did you find the jump squats?  I know some people on the board are interested in them but are apprehensive about trying them.  Did you stick with the 135 for 4-5 reps?  Where in your workout did you do them?  Is this the first year you have included them in your program?  Any issues you encountered or words of advice to those who have not tried them? 

You are looking strong.  Keep up the good work.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Greg Hadley View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg Hadley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/15/08 at 12:29pm

Thanks, Peter. I am feeling very good for this time of year.

I did a 265 hip snatch last year, into a quarter-ish squat/side split. I attempted 275 last March but missed it. I am hoping to get it this year with some technique changes. Seeing Darius Slowik hip snatch 345 on youtube has been some major inspiration.

I have done jump squats pretty consistently for the last few offseasons with no problems. I generally keep them light, <185lbs, and stick to 4-6 reps. My sequencing of them depends on the time of year. Right now I include them after any/all compound leg movements as a constrast. I think they work well for me. I've also worked them into the very end of my sessions at various points in the offseason. I see a lot of correlation b/t being able to jump squat at the end of a tough workout and being able to toss the WOB or caber and the end of a long competition.

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/08 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Greg Hadley Greg Hadley wrote:

Seeing Darius Slowik hip snatch 345 on youtube has been some major inspiration.

Darius has some very impressive power, no doubt about it.  I wonder how far he might have thrown the discus this year if he had not torn his pec last Spring (not to mention if he actually had a throwing coach)?  A very unfortunate thing to happen in an Olympic year.  A cautionary tale perhaps?  He is obviously strong on several of the "key" lifts, but also seems to focus a lot more on heavy supplemental movements than would be typical for a discus thrower.  However, his jumping results and overheads are excellent too, based on what he has listed on his website http://www.dario2004.com/ (although several of these results are rather old, suggesting a greater focus on lifting recently).

I wonder what he could accomplish in the HG if he really concentrated on them for a year or two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9TbvCb8I08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCJjAq5CBP0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnsGmABo73g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DdADcMqAHk&feature=chann el

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

david barron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david barron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/08 at 4:22am
Here's the video. Darius is a monster, but he sometimes seems to think strength is the be-all ad end-all of throwing. In Scotland he kept muttering that the caber would have turned if he could only snatch more.
I'm surprised he hasn't done more games on this side of the pond, he's got the horses to throw stupid far.
Average joe
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/08 at 4:27am

Based on the following video, even I can tell his snatching power is not the problem with respect to his caber tossing ability.  That and the fact that he already snatches more than almost (?) any other serious HG competitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nVqbSGkPd0&feature=chann el

Further to Dave's point, I suspect the same is true with respect to his discus throwing, as his lifting, heaving, and jumping results, combined with his size (6'5") are at a level that should allow him to throw much farther than he has be able to do on a consistent basis.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic