Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Power Output Formula and Results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Power Output Formula and Results
    Posted: 1/11/08 at 4:56am

If you are looking for a correlation between some test and one's throwing potential (with technique an uncontrollable variable and height of the thrower a known variable) consider this: 

Power Output = (square root of weight in pounds) x (square root of vertical jump in inches). 

Therefore, the power output for Bert Sorin at his best would be (square root of 230) x (square root of 36.5 inches) = 15.166 x 6.042 = 91.62 = world class.  This is the same as a 220 lb. thrower who can vertical jump 38 inches or a 280 lb. thrower who can jump 30 inches.  Basically, any score over 85 is excellent, a score over 90 is world class, and anyone who scores over 95 is truly a freak. 

Although I don't have the formula, the same principle holds true with standing long jump.  If your standing long jump is getting farther at a given bodyweight, you are getting more powerful, period.  And it is power (and technique), not absolute strength, that is going the let you throw farther (although there is certainly some correlation between power and absolute strength).  

A few other excellent examples:

Sean Betz: (square root of 295) x (square root of 30) = 94.07

Dave Brown: (square root of 360) x (square root of 25) = 94.87

Ryan Vierra: (square root of 275) x (square root of 33) = 95.27

Ryan's result was from a few years ago, although I suspect that his power output would be very similar now, with a higher bodyweight and lower vertical jump.

Adam Nelson (one of the very best shotputters in the world) achieved a 36 inch vertical jump weighing about 255 (at 6.0' tall), which results in a score of 95.81. 

In addition, Matt Sandford supposedly had a standing long jump of  3.65m (almost 12 feet), while Brian Oldfield's was 3.68m.  Numerous elite throwers had results between 11 and 12 feet in the SLJ.

If you are looking for a correlation with some result and throwing success (with throwing technique a constant or unknown variable), the Power Output result is one of the best, along with the quadrathon total or at least two of its components - the standing long jump at a given bodyweight, and the overhead shot throw.

Of course, one needs reasonable technique to apply one's power effectively.  In addition, there is no question that being taller and having longer arms is an advantage in every throwing event to a varying degree.

grasshopper View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grasshopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/17/08 at 3:20am
I did this test yesterday and the results were shockingly truthfull. I am not
very powerfull. I scored a 79.......ouch. Gives me a great goal though in
trying to get my score up to an 85 or more.
"Breathe deeply. Refuse to be weak. Refuse to be sick. Refuse to die. Think strong and you will be." -The Mighty Atom (Yoselle Greenstein)
Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/08 at 10:46am
I don't know about this. I am assuming this is researched and everyting, but the last time i tested my vertical, it was 31 or 32. And being 6'3 290, that would put me at about Sean Betz(sorry, don't have a calculator  around me). I concider myself explosive and quick(for my size), but I far from "world class."  But if i am world class.... i got a lot of tehnique work to do then, haha
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/08 at 2:08pm

Jeremy,

If your vertical jump was off two stationary feet and was accurately measured at 31", then your Power Output is indeed 94.8, or 96.3 if it was 32".  These are fantastic numbers, if correct, better than Sean Betz and Adam Nelson respectively.

I recall you previously posted that you had achieved 65' in the Overhead Shot Toss last May, which is also a fantastic result (6' better than Sean Betz's recent effort).  Without meaning any offense, I don't understand how with these two excellent and generally relevant numbers at 6'3"/290 you could only manage 11'0" in the WOB this season, even as a novice.  The rest of your marks are understandable, but the WOB seems strange to me.  Again, no offense intended. 

What are your PRs in the various major lifts?  Perhaps you could participate in the Power Ratio test outlined in the Training section, which is just the sum of your power clean, push press, and front squat, divided by your bodyweight. 

BTW, your 2007 Outdoor shot and discus marks are quite similar to what mine were at age 19, except that I was 6'3" and only about 210 at that time. Not surprisingly, I was much better with the high school implements, relatively speaking, as I was still getting used to the senior implements.

Krazy40 View Drop Down
Stupid Track Guy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Krazy40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/08 at 5:07pm

Hey, no offense taken. The bad WOB had to do all with technique.  I was swinging it out, not pulling up. I hit the ground a couple of times right before i went to throw it. If i remember correctly, on the last three attempts i hit the bar on the way up, didn't throw it back enough to arc it over the bar, and hit the ground before i threw it. the height was there everytime.  I was pretty wet behind the ears. I think i had maybe 2 throws with a sheaf over a field goal post, and like 3 throws with the WOB on the same field goal post, never fliped, or even "picked" a caber, never touched the heavy wfd. the heavy wfd kicked my a$$, haha.  And that was the only games i did.

The vertical was from standing two footed. I think we tested it right: We reached as high as we could to get our "0" mark, then jumped and smacked how many ever plactic strips out the way. I'm no sure of the exact number, but i know i was in the 30's

Yeah, my best throws were when I was 19/20 for disc and shot. after that I don't know what happen. I was a consistant 53/54' shot putter, and high 150's in discus, then it just all fell off when i transfered schools.  I got bigger, stronger and more explosive, but became a 50/51 footer and low 150.  Very frustrating.  Thats why I was so suprised at my stone throw at the Columbus games. I think its listed at 47, but I actuelly went 50' that day in the 3 extra throws i got to set a field record. I couldn't believe i threw that stone only 3 feet shorter then i threw the shot all year.

My lifts are nothing to speak of, My last maxes were around april/may:  Bench 325(always struggled with this), Squat 560, hang clean 330. Front squats I seldom did, never maxed, but like i mentioned in an earlier post, our coach made us do 4x8 @ 315 one time.  I made it to about half way thorugh set 3 before I needed help, thats about the best I can give ya on fronts squats. My coach told me "you're lucky you are a pretty good athlete, cause your bench sucks" haha

Was I the only one to have a great motivational coach like this?

Eclipse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/08 at 4:11am

Have you noticed a minimum bodyweight for this to be applied? For example a lightweight at 190lbs would need to have a vertical of 47.5 inches in order to achieve a score of 95.

"Somewhere in Russia, a little girl is warming up with your max." - Anonymous

"Do not demand what you can not take by force."

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/08 at 4:37am

Originally posted by Eclipse Eclipse wrote:

Have you noticed a minimum bodyweight for this to be applied? For example a lightweight at 190lbs would need to have a vertical of 47.5 inches in order to achieve a score of 95.

That is why virtually all elite throwers (with a few very talented exceptions in the hammer) weigh over 230, and usually over 250.  In addition to speed and explosiveness, you have got to have sufficient horsepower, which is basically what this test indicates (although not literally).  If this were not the case, top long jumpers or high jumpers, who are all very fast and explosive, would be able to be great throwers, which obviously is not the case.  Similarly, you will find that the lightweights achieve much less distance in the Overhead Shot Toss than similarly qualified throwers weighing at least 250.  Does this make sense?

Eclipse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/22/08 at 4:54am
Sure does... I was curious as I do not have a track and field background. 
"Somewhere in Russia, a little girl is warming up with your max." - Anonymous

"Do not demand what you can not take by force."

Coach Mac View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coach Mac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/26/08 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Eclipse Eclipse wrote:

This is the age old question: Will a good little man beat a good BIG man?  NO...especially in our sport !

THROW FAR- Coach Mac

"the widespread use of steroids and other chemical supplements is frequently an admission that one has run out of training ideas to produce further progress naturally."
-Dr. Mel Siff; Supertraining

shotputty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shotputty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/15 at 6:28am
Hi everybody, sorry for this very old topic bump. I was looking for vertical jump calculations when I ran into this topic.

I was wondering if this same formula can be applied to kilograms and centimeters when you include a linear correction factor.

I tried some conversions and they appear to give the same outcome when you divide the kg-cm calculation by 1,065. Is this correct?

Is there some sort of science behind this formula?
DStewart View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStewart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/25/15 at 8:55am
Bro Science as some refer to it.
norkasd View Drop Down
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/07/15 at 8:12am
Zac Zenner is a former college running back from South Dakota State University, now with the Detriot Lions.  Zenner had a vertical leap of 41 inches at a weight of 220 lbs at the football combines.  His 40 yd dash time was only 4.6.  
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/24/15 at 11:36am
Originally posted by shotputty shotputty wrote:

I tried some conversions and they appear to give the same outcome when you divide the kg-cm calculation by 1,065. Is this correct?

Since 1 lb = .4536 kg and 1 in = 2.54 cm you get

sqrt(lb x in) = sqrt(kg x cm)/1.0734

So your correction factor is very nearly correct. (I am assuming that you are a European and that your comma is actually a decimal point.)
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/15 at 1:14pm
I think the long jump conversion is (square root of weight x square root of inches in the SBJ)/2...
Mr.Miller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/19/16 at 12:34pm
Great post!  I love the correlations (since I teach science) between power output and performance and I am going to use this to gauge my rehabbing/rebuilding success.  I haven't thrown since 2012 and I haven't worked out (regularly) in over a year.  I have a good start at 64(pathetic) and I am going to work on this number over the course of the next 9 weeks.
"I'll figure out EXACTLY who stole my power and why. Maybe even get it back." -Superman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic