Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Rhode Island Scottish Games (RIScot) 2017

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rhode Island Scottish Games (RIScot) 2017
    Posted: 5/15/17 at 2:58pm
Hi all,

First, is the Scottish Games League (SGL) still in existence?

I'm looking at running Pro, Masters, Amateur, Lightweight, and Women's classes this year.  Thumbs Up

Pros, invites have been sent.

RIScot // Sat, 10-June-2017 // 9:00am Start // Rain or Shine
Washington County Fairgrounds, Richmond Townhouse Rd, Richmond, RI
Directions: http://goo.gl/maps/fL1YJ

Please fill out the following registration form and mail it to me with your check.  Please read all of the directions contained within the form.  Any questions, please feel free to message me on here, Facebook, or via e-mail.

Registration: http://riscot.org/forms/riscot_athleticForm_2017.pdf (PDF) (Please note t-shirt size!)

Official Web Site: http://riscot.org (Directions, lodging, other info.)

Official Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/riscot (Please like us and share!)

First come, first serve on open registrations.  I will cap entries, if necessary.  Please have your entries postmarked by Sat, 03-June-2017 so that I can make sure your ticket is mailed to you.

We're trying to get online ticket sales (with a $2 discount) up on the web site...

I'm trying to get t-shirts again this year, but no guarantees.  Please include your t-shirt size on the registration form anyway.

And, of course, I'll be looking for volunteers to help judge, score, and generally take care of the games with me.  Shoutout to Mark Howard for already stepping up to the plate to help.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Scott

Edited by bigd0g - 6/08/17 at 9:00pm
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/17 at 3:05pm
Pro
  • Faye, Beau
  • Grammer, Sam
  • Kaste, Jeff
  • Zolkiewicz, Mike
Open Amateur
  • Edwards, Brenden
  • Erdos, Joseph
  • Sideleau, Scott
  • Sproul, Justin
Masters
  • Dargie, Al
  • Gustavson, Ken
  • Nicoll, Ian
  • Sims, Robert
Lightweight
  • Baker, Jake
  • Cummings, Josh
  • Jones, Jacob
  • Marble, David
Women
  • Blevins-Marble, Devonna
  • James, Terri
  • Jones, Erin
  • Michaud, Amanda
  • Murray, Shelley
  • Powell, Melissa
  • Richardson, Katie
  • Sims, Madeleine
  • Tostevin, Alison
Contested Events
  • 2x Stones
  • 2x Weights
  • 2x Hammers (!)
  • Caber
  • WOB
  • Sheaf (maybe)

Edited by bigd0g - 6/08/17 at 9:14pm
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/17 at 3:32pm
Looking forward to it as always man!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
AlDargie View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlDargie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/15/17 at 6:13pm
I too am looking forward to it.  Thanks as always Scott.

Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy. - Outlaw Josey Wales
TheHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/24/17 at 8:36am
Dev and I will be there!
David Marble
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/17 at 10:22am
Any openings in women's?? Terri is interested and would like to throw.. can pay at the gate no biggie..will bring some women's weights also(i know the ladies like Terri's 28 bell wob)
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TheHammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/17 at 10:39am
Additionally if you let me know by thursday night, I can bring any Masters Womens implements needed.
David Marble
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/17 at 10:58am
Got those also Hammer. Terri throws everything in the car(she brings both)
JUST BRING IT /

bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/06/17 at 3:03pm
I have openings in all classes.

Bring all implements that you want to consider for throwing.

I'll update performance lists and provide more info tonight...
bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/08/17 at 9:11pm
Performance list updated.  Event list updated.

TICKET LISTING AT THE GATE.  USE THE RIGHT-MOST LANE.  MARKED PREPAID.  HAVE ID.

On the field at 0830.  Throwing at 0900.  Break at 1100 for opening ceremonies.

We're on the MAIN FIELD this year (walk up the hill).

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Cheers,
Scott
KatieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/17 at 5:57am
Hi all! I'm new to the Highland Games, but not new to throwing (weight and shot put back in high school). I also do a fair amount of weightlifting, so mechanically I have some basics. 

I was looking for a little advice on how best to get my feet wet with competing. At this time, my goal is to attempt the events and get some pointers from people who know what they're doing. I will be at the RI games this weekend. 

What is the best course of action? Do I just sign up and try it out?

Thanks!

-Katie V.

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/17 at 7:40am
Hey Katie, 

Come hang out! Watch everyone, talk to the AD (he'll be the large man with the large beard) and then look into a competition coming up! I know there is a good one for newbies 3-4 week away in Springfield, NH that you can probably get into. All you need is a kilt.

I would recommend watching as much youtube as possible as well to figure out techniques and implements. When I started I used a 25# outdoor weight as a weight for distance, found some rocks, and bought a sledge at Home Depot for a hammer (sadly finding out that a real HG hammer is far longer and the shaft more flexible lol) 

That would be my best advice! Don't be afraid to talk to anyone, we're all pretty nice. Except Zolk, he is a jerk!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
KatieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/17 at 8:17am
Jeff,

Thank you so much for the advice! Looks like we'll have good weather :) Best of luck to all competing! Looking forward to watching the games and talking with people who know their stuff!
phatmiked View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatmiked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/09/17 at 6:57pm
The SGL is defunct
KatieV View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatieV Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/17 at 6:51am
What a gorgeous day we had for the festival/games yesterday! Hope everyone had a great time :)

I was able to touch base with a couple of the female competitors, and watched a lot of throwing (which was very exciting!)

Jeff, do you have any more details on the "good for beginners" games in Springfield, NH that you had mentioned? I'm having a tough time tracking it down.

Thanks!
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/11/17 at 8:40am
Originally posted by phatmiked phatmiked wrote:

The SGL is defunct

I still proudly wear my SGL patch on my hat.  
Aim high. Stay hungry.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/16/17 at 7:34pm
anyone have an idea when results will be entered??

JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/17 at 11:19am
Bueller....Bueller...Anyone?
JUST BRING IT /

bigd0g View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigd0g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/23/17 at 7:44pm
Results for all classes have been posted.  Good luck to those trying to get into the 'Claw!  Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic