FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

The passing of a Legend

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The passing of a Legend
    Posted: 3/08/17 at 12:38pm
As many of you have heard today-the strength world lost one of its most loved athletes. Gérard Benderoth the Mutant White Rhino or "G" passed away this morning. I had the honor to work with him in the NYPD and both of us decided to enter the Highland games together. We taught each other and trained together for years. He was such a mild mannered big hearted man and the world will be less of a fun place without G. Anyone who ever competed against him in the Scottish Games or strongman(he was great in both as well as a tremendous boxer)knew he had so much compassion for his fellow athletes and always had a smile. Say a prayer for his family as he has 4 young children. Love ya brother! 
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 12:44pm
Sorry to hear he has passed.  I will lift a glass to him today.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
JUMBO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUMBO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 12:49pm
So sorry to hear this, thoughts and prayers with his family. Too many great memories of Gerard to recall, but when the shock wears off I'll be back to share a few of those. 

RIP Gerard. 
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right, which one are you?
aforman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aforman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 1:58pm
Rest In Peace Gerard.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 2:47pm
RIP Gerard, he was an amazing man
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
nesa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 3:03pm
WOW! Totally shocked! Prayers to his family. RIP big guy!
Proud member of "Team Fulsterkur"
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 4:06pm
RIP
Pogany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pogany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/08/17 at 6:29pm
Damn ..... sorry to hear this .... he added "fun" and "entertainment" to every game he attended .... and usually passed out any medals he won to the kids in the stands .... I agree, Dan, a true Highland Games legend.    RIP 
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/09/17 at 5:33pm
ANYONE INTERESTED.....Wake Services-T.J.McGowan & Sons Funeral Home,Garnerville,NY,10923 
Sunday 3/12  2pm-4pm & 7pm-9pm 
Funeral is set for Monday 3/13 1130am @ St Peters Church,Haverstraw, NY
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/17 at 1:42pm
CHANGE OF TIME ON THE WAKE...according to website for TJ McGowans funeral home  wake viewing hours are Sunday 3/12 2pm -6pm
JUST BRING IT /

dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 3/10/17 at 5:33pm
roth stood 6’ tall and at times could weigh as much as 390lbs, which in today’s standards could dwarf most men; however, this juggernaut of a human was truly larger than life itself. He was a decorated police officer for over 20 years, world renowned athlete and multiple record holder, poetic story teller, great husband, father, and friend. Gerard was nicknamed the “Mutant White Rhino” for obvious reasons. No matter how you would explain to someone his size, everyone would take a step back when they met him in person. He was the type of man people just gravitated towards. At first, they were drawn to his powerful stature and tattoos, but as they would speak with him they immediately knew he was a brilliant man wise beyond his years. He could entertain anyone with a story about Viking lore, his time on the force, or have people in tears with a witty joke. He was a man people just loved to be around. 
Gerard followed in the footsteps of his father and became a NYC police officer. He was a first responder during the attacks of 9/11 and stood on ground zero for months assisting with the rescue and recovery process. He served the Bronx out of the 44 for many years before moving up to the Haverstraw PD where he recently retired. 
Gerard was a decorated boxer traveling for many years across the globe to compete in matches with a record of 70-6. He was a finalist in the 1995 super heavyweight Golden Gloves and the gold medalist in the 1995 Empire State Games. He would fight in charity events for the NYPD and was always a showman. For a man of his size his hands were lighting fast and he could hit with the impact of Mack truck. It was during his time boxing in England Gerard proposed to his wife. He was quoted as saying, “I tried to stand when I proposed to Amy, but the love of my wife brought me to my knees in the ring.”
He was a world class strongman winning his pro card back in April of 2004 at the Azealia Festival and ranked at one time in the top 10 of the professional strongmen in the USA. He could carry a yolk on his back weighing over 1000lbs and then turn around and help one of his children open a juice box. He was capable of deadlifting over 900lbs for repetitions, benching over 600lbs, pressing 400lbs over his head all while smiling. Surprisingly Gerard was also quick on his feet winning many events where he would have to carry weights across a course for time. On one occasion, he was able to carry a 400lb shield on his chest 100ft in 18 seconds. 
Gerard was a professional Highland Games athlete setting world records in the weight over the bar event, and was always a crowd favorite in the caber toss (an event where the athlete would lift a tree the size of a telephone and flip I tend over end for accuracy). Much like Gerard himself these events were about overall strength and skill. He was able to throw a 56lb weight over a 17’ bar and was touted as the shortest man in the world to ever clear that height. His world record was at the Loon Mountain games in 2010 where he used a 42lb weight to clear a bar height of 21’. 
He leaves behind his wife Amy, their four children, and more friends that call him family than any other man that has ever lived. 
Gerard was a true Viking warrior and if Valhalla truly exists he was brought there on the wings of a Valkyrie. You will be able to find him there, sitting on the right-hand side of Oden who will be asking Gerard for guidance and wisdom and of course a great story. 
"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me." ~Conan the Barbarian
Gerard’s family will receive friends on Sunday, March 12, 2017 from 2-6 PM at T.J. McGOWAN SONS FUNERAL HOME, 71 N. Central Highway, GARNERVILLE, NY. A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated for Gerard on Monday, March 13 at 11:30 AM at St. Peter’s Catholic Church, Haverstraw, NY, with interment to follow at St. Peter’s Cemetery, Haverstraw, NY.

JUST BRING IT /

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic