Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Matt White

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Matt White
    Posted: 6/30/16 at 7:58pm
I've been out of the strength community for a while for "reasons".  I needed something to focus my purpose in the gym, and I've always admired the throwing sports, but any time I attempted it I tripped over my own legs and face planted.  So don't mind me I'll be here being a noob and learning. 

For the time being I'm still deployed, so when you don't see me doing alot of actual throwing, it is because I've got nowhere to do it and will have to focus on the gym training.  After reading quite a few training methodologies on the intarwebs, I came to a certain conclusion on what I needed to work on in terms of my personal strengths and weaknesses.

30 Degree Incline Bench:  185, 205, 225, 245 x 5.

Single Arm Dumbbell Press:  45, 55, 65, 75, 90 x 5.

Bent Barbell Row:  185, 225, 245 x 5. 

Cable Close Chin Down:  100, 130, 160, 190 x 5.

Plate Twists:  45 lb plate to 10 reps each side.

I'm not sure I'm doing the plate twists correctly as per using it as a throwing assistance exercise.  I have a 45 lb plate at arms length with straight arms, starting around the hip at one side, and I twist to the other and end with the plate to somewhere between shoulder face height.  The foot I'm coming from comes off the heel a little bit, then I reset with each rep going back and forth.  It feels very awkward to me, but of course, I've never done them before.  Right now, youtube isn't much of an option to view other people doing it due to connectivity restraints.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/01/16 at 4:38pm
Pretty craptastic training today. 

Front Squat:  135, 185, 225 x 5   
                      275 x 4 (was slipping down my delt/bicep)

Rack pull from about 2" below knee:  225, 315 x 5
                                                           405 x 2

So, all the exercises were very explosive and even the rack pulls felt pretty light, so I'm thankful for that, however, I sure miss having an air conditioned gym to train in, bars built for strength athletes that have knurling on them and don't flex with nothing on them.  In my frustration with having both broken equipment due to inconsiderate people and it being extremely humid in the gym today, I completely forgot to do plate twists.  So I fail across the board today.  Thumbs Down
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/16 at 4:56pm
Spent most of yesterday at the beach.  Ship is currently in Hawaii for the RIMPAC event.  (World's largest Navy event, there is something like 24 countries with Naval ships here right now)  I did some snorkeling, not much, couldn't get the hang of it.  I'm a fish in fresh water, but in this rocky crap I felt like a drowning cat.

High Pulls:  135, 185, 185 x 5. 
Calf Raises:  2 plates x 20, 20, 20
Plate Twist:  25, 35, 45 x 20
Round the Dome:  45 x 10 ea way.

So, I'm not sure what I'm doing with high pulls.  I pretty much turned the beginning of a power clean into an upright row motion.  I tried to hit my chest each time as I brought the bar up, but it wasn't touching.  Which is fine because the bar was going in a direct up and down motion, it didn't seem to go forward or backward during the lift.  (I'm assuming that's good).  Plate twist, I was able to get youtube on my phone and figure it out.  These feel much better now that I'm getting the motion down. 
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/07/16 at 2:43pm
Quite a bit of elbow and shoulder discomfort on the left side, however, I still ended up doing what I came in to do.

30 degree incline bench:  135,185,225,250 x 5

Single arm dumbbell press:  50,60,70,75 x 5ea, 
                                             90 x 7ea

Bent over barbell row:  135,185,225,250 x 5

Cable Chin Down:  I don't remember the weights, I ended up with 205 x 5, whatever that equates to in the real scheme of things.

I messed around with a very awkward seated dippy tricep machine thing.  Since my elbow was bugging me I went with that instead of a different assistance exercise.  Did a few sets of 20.  Threw in two sets of hammer curls with 35's for 20 reps each.  Wasn't heavy at all, but it made some burny burny action. 

MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/16 at 12:55am
Decent training day.  Ran out of umph for whatever reason, however, still knocked out everything I intended to.

Calf Raisey Things:  Few sets of 20.
Front Squats:  135,185,225,275 x 5
Rack pulls 2 inches below knee:  up to 405 x 5.

Everything was pretty explosive.  About the last two sets of rack pulls (which I'm attempting to do with a straight leg btw)  It's pretty much an RDL from the pins for me.  My torso started to not feel very tight, and I started to feel "off".  So the 405 was very good, in fact, almost too quick for me to consider it being a last set, however, I decided not to push it.  Next week if everything feels alright I'll probably try to throw heavier sets on both front squat and rack pull. 
bigirish01 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigirish01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/16 at 10:44am
Hey Matt! Great to see ya posting! Look me up when you get off deployment!
Jay "Big Daddy" O'Neill
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/16 at 11:33am
Will do Jay!  Already got in contact a little bit with Mike Adams as well. 
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/13/16 at 11:40am
Last nights shennanigans.

I started loading up on old school creatine monohydrate again.  At first it felt like my joints hurt worse, then I finally managed to start getting enough water in me, and now it feels a bit better actually.

Single Arm OHP:  50, 75, 90 x 5
                            100 x 6

45 degree dumbbell bench:  2 sets of 100's x 10

Flat close grip dumbbell bench:  (don't know what to call this)  50's, 70's x 10

Dumbell lawnmower pull:  75, 100, 125 x 5

Cable chin down:  up to 205 x 7

Felt kind of shakey and out of mojo at this point, decided to call it a day.  Felt pretty decent though.  I hae never done the exercise where you shove two dumbbells together and press them.  Seems to work the center pecs (obviously) and triceps pretty decently.  I didn't bother going heavy at all, just did barely enough weight to feel what was being worked and see how it effects the elbows.  I like it, will probably stick with it a while as long as it keeps treating me good. 
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/16 at 5:31pm
This morning it was very difficult to talk myself out of my rack.  I had to sit there and motivate myself like a drill instructor just to roll over.  It eventually worked.  Managed to throw on some sneakers, and make my way to my shop for some creatine before I shimmied up to the gym.

Front Squats:  135, 225, 295 x 5. 
Rack pulls:  225, 315, 405, 445 x 5
Calf Raises:  2 sets of whatever x 20

Front squats felt pretty good, my shoulders feel better carrying the weight now, and have adjusted to doing these.  The weight, actually wasn't all that bad, will move up from here.  Rack pulls, this is right at the top end of my weak area, so I can see why this feels slow to start, but for some reason I got a lower back pump off of this.  Rather suprising.  Historically this is child's weight for me, but as I get older and more broken down, it sure doesn't feel like it.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/16 at 11:42am
Internet has been down for a few days, so I'm late on updates.

Two days ago training.

Single Arm OHP:  25, 50, 75 x 5 ea
                           100 x 8 ea
45 degree DB bench:  100's x 11 x 2
Flat CG DB bench:  70's, 90's x 10.
Lawnmower Pull:  75, 100 x 5 ea
                             125 x 7 ea
Hammer Curls:  40's x 20, 40's x 15.

Had to get out of the gym after that, there was so many people in one room that it was literally dripping from the ceiling.  It was pretty gross.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/16 at 2:31pm
Front Squat:  135,225 x 5
                      315 x 3

Rack Pull:  warmups and then 475 x 5

Calf Raisey Thingys:  3 sets of 20.

Front squats felt kind of like doodoo, but whatever.  I'll work with the weight for a few weeks and see how it goes.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/16 at 2:18pm
Single Arm OHP:  25, 50, 75 x 5 ea
                           100 x 10 ea
45 degree DB bench:  100's x 12 x 2
Flat CG DB bench:  100's x 7
                              100's x 8
Lawnmower Pull:  75, 100 x 5 ea
                             125 x 9 ea
Hammer Curls:  40's x 20, 40's x 17.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/16 at 11:12am
Front Squat:  135,225,315 x 5

2" off ground Rack Pull:  Worked up to a 525 x 1

Calf Raisey Thingys:  3 sets of 20.

Single Leg LegPress:  whatever 5 plates on the machine is x 5 ea
                                   whatever 10 plates on the machine is x 5 ea

Front squats felt more stable today, I've taken a considerable amount of time off single last time I squatted, due to my body just not feeling very up for doing any posterior chain work.  525 rack pull felt heavy, but not the end of the world.  I'm not going to push it without a belt, but I'm happy that my elbows held up to this.  Usually there is some severe pain in my elbows as the weight gets heavier, not today, though. 
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/06/16 at 5:18am
Single Arm DB OHP:  100 x 11 left and 100 x 10 right.

45 degree DB bench:  100's x 5, 100's x 10

Flat Close Grip DB bench:  100's x 12

Lawnmower Pulls:  125 x 10 ea arm

Hammer Curls:  40's x 20 x 2

This felt rough.  Took way too many days off, haven't been sleeping well.  Dragged my ass up there and did what I had to do.  Surprised I was able to get more on my left hand with the OHP than the right.  Right arm just felt off. 
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/16 at 8:58am
Whew, it has been a minute since I've been able to get in the gym!  Work has been hounding me!

Front Squat:  135, 22, 315 x 5 (shoulders having a tough time with this, legs taking it very easily)

2" off ground Rack Pull:  Went up to 565 x 1.  Felt decent on the pull, upper back started to arch a little bit.

Single Leg Press:  Went up to whatever 11 plates is on the machine for 5 each.  (trying to keep it explosive and not too slow)

Calf Raise Thingies:  3 sets of 20.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/16 at 1:42pm
This is a few days old now.

Single Arm OHP:  up to 100 x 5 ea
Incline Press (no clue on angle):  100's x 12
Flat Close Grip Press:  100's x 10
Lawnmower Pull:  up to 125 x 5 ea
Fly Machine:  Did whatever felt good on it
Hammer Curls:  40's x 20 x 2

BTN Push Press:  185 x 3  (everything is reeeaaally tight right now in the shoulder area)
Chin Grip Pulldowns:  205 x 5
Machine Pullovers:  Whatever number x 10
Single Arm OH Extension:  40 x 10 ea.
MattWhite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattWhite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 8:48pm
Horrid training day.

So since I've gotten back from deployment, alot of people have wanted things from me.  I've been nice enough to make that happen.  So I helped someone move some heavy stuff yesterday from their storage and whatnot, and went to do legs today.

Front Squat:  up to 365 x 1 (this was using my new front squat harness......I have very mixed feelings about this device.  Way easier on the shoulders and wrists, horrid on the lower back, makes me utilize my lower back waaay more during the lift)

Sumo Deads:  up to 435 x 1 (lets keep in mind I used to be a 700+ lb deadlifter, cheers to being a has-been)

Leg Extesnions:  Who cares
Leg Curls:  Who cares
Single Leg Press:  up to Who cares for 5 reps each leg
Standing Calf Raises:  up to Who cares for 10 paused reps
Torso Twister Machine:  Interesting device, I'll continue to use it, it can't hurt to work on rotational movements.

Overall was very weak feeling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic