Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Throwing Only
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Breaking 70' in the Light Weight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason H Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaking 70' in the Light Weight
    Posted: 6/27/16 at 1:24pm
I had a quick discussion with Mike Dickens and Chris Chafin at the Ohio Scottish Games on Saturday about what it takes to consistently break 70' with the light weight, and it got me thinking.

I'm one of those guys that could throw the 56 in the mid to high 30s and hit 40' a few times.  But I've never been able to throw the 28 much better than mid to high 60s.  Both Chris and Mike talked about needing to switch gears in the 28.  I remember KO talking about needing to "Ricky Bobby it" out of the back in reference to speed to the trig.

So, for those folks that can regularly break 70' with the 28, what do you think was the break through for you?  Was it purely speed and hitting positions?  What did you do as far as training goes?

Thanks,

Jason Thomas

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/16 at 2:33pm
For me, it was always "keep tension throughout both spins, but crank the hell outta the delivery"

Whenever I try to go too fast in the turns, I am never able to hit a big delivery. Just my .02. 
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
JoelT39 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoelT39 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/16 at 4:22pm
One needs to feel the weight. A real fast sprint out of the back is great and needed to throw real far but if you blow through your power position it is all for nothing.
Damien Fisher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Damien Fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/16 at 6:18pm
What Jeff said. A smooth acceleration from turn-turn-release is essential imo. If you try to go from 0-100 it will often get choppy and you won't put much force into the implement.
DJTennison View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJTennison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/16 at 8:29pm
In talking with people much better than me and with experimenting with what they've communicated I would absolutely agree with the acceleration piece. If your starting speed is 1, your middle phase should accelerate you to 2, and your final phase should accelerate you to 3. If you can't accelerate to 3 while hitting proper positions then it's moot... Which I believe is where the "smooth" comes into play. If you're not doing it in proper positions your middle phase would be a 2 and your finish would then likely decelerate back to 1.... The acceleration being the important part once positions are accomplished. 1 -> 2 -> 3

I imagine the bigger throws end in a higher "number", whether that means starting the throw with a bit higher baseline number (read:quicker) or accelerating to a higher number in the latter phases. So either 2-> 3 -> 4 or 1-> 3 -> 4..... Where the final number is larger (implement moving faster).
Jason H Thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason H Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/29/16 at 10:55am
I think I've made every one of those mistakes (trying to go too fast and blowing through positions, not accelerating from turn to turn, etc.).  Thanks for the input.  Now I'll try to apply it.

jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/05/16 at 1:26pm
Tennison is spot on.

Speed is key here. The faster you can get it moving the farther it'll go, but you have to keep your timing or else it'll all fall apart.

Something that helped me immensely to work on timing is this:

Note: I would do this with the 56 as well. Yes, I threw a lot in one session.

Warmups = 2-3 throws at a snails pace throughout.

3-5 throws at 50% sprint, 70% finish
3-5 throws at 60% sprint, 80% finish
3-5 throws at 70% sprint, 90% finish
3-5 throws at 80% sprint, 100% finish
3-5 throws at 90# sprint, 100% finish
3-5 throws at 100% sprint, 100% finish

Once you've got that all down, start working on the speed of your cast. If you can get your cast/entry going even a hair faster while keeping your timing, everything will increase exponentially. When I went 90'2 at Pleasanton in '14 I was screaming fast out of the back. Same when I went 48' with the HWD at estes and had 4 over 89ft that same day with the light.

Positions are key. Speed is big, but timing is even bigger.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/16 at 11:19am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

Positions are key. Speed is big, but timing is even bigger.

^^ This. 

I'm like molasses out of the back, and I've still thrown a decent lwfd once or twice. 

Timing and positions.   
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/06/16 at 1:47pm
^^^^ + some serious CRS
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Jason H Thomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason H Thomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/11/16 at 8:29am
Again, thanks to all for the input.

I worked on trying to hit better positions last night.  I focused on the cast by doing a ton of cast-and-drop drills.  I realized that I was all over the place on the cast.  I ended the night with some one-turn drills (all over the place again).  

I think it may be time to film myself and compare my positions to other folks.

Thanks again.

Jason
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic