Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

C. Fay Training Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/29/16 at 7:36am
Minnesota Ren-Fest (Amateur World's) Review

The day started off raining and muddy, with a stacked class full of awesome throwers, we kicked it off with heavy hammer while it was wet out, using a hammer initially with a 1/2" pvc handle

1st throw: 83+, went nice and easy on this to get a mark, took the lead for a short while with this, many guys were losing their grip
2nd throw: the guys switched the hammer out for one with a 3/4" pvc handle with tape on it, this caused me to lose my grip 82+
3rd throw: They took the tape off the hammer and everyone was gripping better at this point, I tried to make up for lost ground and muscled it too much instead of staying long, I got short, bad throw 83+, almost 10ft off my best but few if any were throwing PRs in the weather, not sure where I placed but not too high.

Stone: Not worth even reviewing, 35+, dead last as expected, just glad to be done with it.

HWFD: We used one with a decent length of chain and a cannonball type of weight on it, never used one like that before
1st throw: 33+
2nd throw: 34'9 PR! My foot was slipping in the mud bad on the first turn, somehow I saved the throw for a modest PR, it was becoming a real mudfest and many guys were slipping and fouling.
3rd throw: 34+, was not patient enough and muscled it

LWFD:
1st throw: Side foul, felt off
2nd throw: tried to be more deliberate and safe to get one in, 63+
3rd throw: 66+, blah overall, about 3ft off my best

Caber: 18ft, 130lbs
1st: Easy turn for 12:45, others said it turned high in the air before it touched the ground, felt easy
2nd: Bad pick, had to drop it, this cost me
3rd: 1:30, easy turn again. 
Many guys ended up turning the stick and although my 12:45 was one of the better scores, since there were so many turns the drop kept me from getting as many points as I hoped for on a strong event for me

20lb sheaf: A new experience for me, never threw anything over 16lb in a games
24ft: (opening height): missed it the first time, made a stance adjustment and cleared easily. A few guys no heighted here
27ft: cleared this on my second try I think, quite a few more didn't make it.
29ft: came close, but not close enough, only two made this height I think.

WOB: Opening height was 13, I came in at that and cleared 13, 14 and 15ft on my first try. There were still 10 of us in at 15ft and 8 of us in at 16ft. Pretty crazy, especially since it was standing WOB only. I had the height easily all three times at 16ft but left it about an inch out front every time, just didn't follow through enough. 2 guys made 16ft.

End result, 12th place out of 14 competitors.

Congrats to Eddie Brown on the win, awesome display overall.

This was about how I figured I would place, so no surprises there. I knew I was outgunned in the weights and stones, although I thought my hammer would have been more competitive. I hit pretty good marks on my strong events (caber, sheaf, wob) but the competition was just so strong that they didn't get me the points that I hoped for. I should have cleared 16ft on the WOB and I am not too sure but that may have cost me a little in the placing as well as the caber drop I had. A few critical errors can hurt a lot. Overall it was a great experience and just to be able to watch some of these guys throw was a great learning experience. I walked away with 2 PRs, a HWFD PR and a 20lb sheaf PR (since I never threw one, any height was a PR lol!). Definitely something to build on for the future and I know I have a lot of work to do. Thanks to Kevin Dupuis for organizing everything and getting me the invite, lets all hope he recovers quickly from his injury. Also a big thanks to Lenny, Scott and Jeff for making things go so smoothly. This week I just need to rest and heal up and get ready for ECCs, hopefully I can redeem myself a bit.
CharlesFay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/31/16 at 6:24pm
Wednesday Throws

Heavy Hammer
Walking winds 2x10
10 wind x1
2 wind and release x2
Full throws x5

Light Hammer 
Full throws x5

LWFD full throws x10

I wanted to just focus on hitting some proper positions today. I didn't push the tempo too high, just wanted to reinforce some fundamentals on some things that I feel were lacking last week. I did a whole body circuit on monday to speed recovery and get some blood flow going. Today I also did some sled dragging and other stuff. I fly up to DC tomorrow and stay with my Brother. It will be nice to see the family, watch Beau throw Saturday and then compete myself in ECCs Sunday, I really have no clue who I am competing against. Hoping to represent myself well and hit some PRs to wrap up my year of throwing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/05/16 at 3:21pm
ECC's and Season Review

Sunday I competed in the East Coast Championships, although the guys that actually showed up to compete were good throwers, there were so few of us that it is hard to call it an east coast championship. We started off with 4 guys: J. Baker, M. Patterson, Drew Kirchen and myself. Baker pulled out with an injury after two events. Here is how it went.

HH: 88 ft, 2nd place
Braemar: 28+ (garbage, kept coming off the fingers early), last
O-stone: 37+, (standing throws), last
HWFD: 35.35 ft PR!, first
LWFD: 65+, first, I know I won this by a half inch
Caber: Drop, 11:00, 12:00, big stick but shoot out, the bad pick hurt, last on this
Sheaf: 27, totally inconsistent here, felt like I was throwing a different bag evertime I did it, 2nd 
WOB: 15 ft, first

Overall it ended up as a 3 way tie for points, Kirchen got the win since he had the best caber scores, so Patterson and I ended up tying for 2nd place.

The competition between the three of us stayed exciting because we were just so close to each other all the way to the end. I must admit it was really sad that there ended up being only 4 to show up and 3 to throw in a games as historic as the VSG ECC's. We ended up throwing in a mixed group with a bunch of masters because there were so few of us and this made the day go long. I was happy with my HWFD performance, most other events were an average performance by me and not the strong finish I was hoping for. Sheaf was weird and totally inconsistent. Normally when I do something wrong on the sheaf, I am consistent about it and can adjust as needed, this time the bag came off the tines differently every time each one of us threw it. It was frustrating. This will be my last games for the year, I really cannot take any more time off from work and family to travel and I have been practicing and throwing non stop for 11 months now and need a break. I am going to take a month off from throwing and am going to focus for a while on getting stronger again. In hindsight I think I put too much emphasis on bar speed work. In the past I have used a combination of both max effort type work and speed work and I think that combo works best for highland games for me. Overall it was a good season and I made significant improvements in all events but the stone, which I need to figure out in the off season. Below is a wrap up of my 2016 bests vs 2015

2015                      2016
Braemar 30.2          36.15
O-Stone 36.3           38.3
HWFD    29.9           35.35
LWFD     56              69.3
HH         84.65         93.05
LH         99.2           112.9
Sheaf     30              33
WOB      16              16.6

Caber was tough for me last year and I only had turns in two games, this year I turned every caber with the exception of Dunedin, where no one turned it. The improvement was significant overall this year although I wanted a stronger finish. Lots of work to do in the off season.

Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/06/16 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by CharlesFay CharlesFay wrote:

I must admit it was really sad that there ended up being only 4 to show up and 3 to throw in a games as historic as the VSG ECC's. 

This is so true, and makes me sad. Like we discussed, when I was coming up in my early days as an amateur, ECCs was THE game to get to... didn't matter where you lived. We always had a stacked field with great depth. Newer ams might want to check the old results from years ago and see some of the names that won that game.

Top ams, make a point to get to the ECC and bring it back to being a true CHAMPIONSHIP. It can be great again if the guys just show up!

Hell of a season, lots of big improvements!
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/16 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Beau Fay Beau Fay wrote:

I must admit it was really sad that there ended up being only 4 to show up and 3 to throw in a games as historic as the VSG ECC's. 

This is so true, and makes me sad. Like we discussed, when I was coming up in my early days as an amateur, ECCs was THE game to get to... didn't matter where you lived. We always had a stacked field with great depth. Newer ams might want to check the old results from years ago and see some of the names that won that game.

Top ams, make a point to get to the ECC and bring it back to being a true CHAMPIONSHIP. It can be great again if the guys just show up!

Hell of a season, lots of big improvements!

Thanks! I have quite a bit of things to work on in the off season to make improvements for next year. Luckily I learned a lot over the weekend from talking to you and Brady and watching the other pros throw. I definitely know what areas I really need to attack.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/16 at 5:26pm
Tuesday Upper

Warmup: Medium weight sled pulling x4 trips, incline DB press 4x20, Rev hypers x20, Band pullaparts x20, Rotating face pulls x10, cuff work

DE BB Bench
165 9x3 (close, medium and wide grips)

BB bench was supersetted w/fatman pullups

Behind the neck press bar 3x10 supersetted w/pulldowns 3x10

For the next month since I will not be throwing, so I will be focusing on increasing GPP and improving overall muscularity to set a good base for future training. I will be doing extra workouts pretty much daily that may last from between 5-30 minutes and will involve various assistance exercises, dragging, weighted marching, mobility work, etc. As a result most of the main workouts that I post will include mostly "meat and potatoes" barbell work as most of the single joint assistance work such as extensions, curls, neck work, isolated hamstring stuff etc will be done in extra workouts which will not be posted here because they are too boring to bother talking any more about. Today I was knocking the rust off of lifting and gradually getting back into things. I used a double looped mini-band around my wrists to remind me to squeeze the back and try to break the bar to engage the tris more. Nothing too crazy yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/16 at 1:44pm
Thursday Lower

Warmup: Heavy sled drags x3 trips, Front squats bar 2x10, 1 leg squats 2x10, 1 leg deads 2x5, hip mobility stuff.

BB Complex w/bar 2 rounds: snatch high pull x6/snatch grip behind the neck press x6/snatch balance x6

BB Hang Snatch 95 5x3

DE BB Front Squat w/harness on low box
barx10
145x10
195 8x2

Seated Good mornings
185x10
175x10
145x10

Every thing stayed super light in this workout. Still having some left knee and psoas pain that radiates into the back that is left over from the games last weekend. Will get some accessories done friday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/10/16 at 10:23am
Saturday ME Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, flat DB press 4x20, CSR 4x15

ME Incline BB Bench
barx20
135x10
185x5
225x3
245x3
255x3
265x2
275x1
295x1
305x1
315x1

Inclines were supersetted w/pullups 5x3

Behind the neck push press 
bar 2x10
95 3x5

Push press was supersetted w/rev hyper shrugs 3x20

I have not done a ME incline bench in years, 315 felt pretty good, probably had another 10-20 lbs left in me.  A far cry from the 405 close grip incline I hit in my early 20's before tearing both pecs several times. The inclines actually felt surprisingly good on my disfigured and scar tissue laden pecs, so I may keep it in the ME rotation. Definitely going to keep up some ME upper body work for a while and see if that can help get my upper body strength up. I kept the push presses light and will gradually work those up over time to be safe with doing stuff behind my neck. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/16 at 4:36pm
Monday DE Upper Body

Warmup: Cuff complex, Upper body sled dragging, incline DB press 4x20, band pullaparts 4x20, band extensions 4x20

DE BB Bench
165 3x3 close grip
175 3x3 medium grip
185 3x3 wide grip

Benching was supersetted w/fat man pullups 3x8

Standing behind the neck full range overhead press w/snatch grip 
bar 2x10
65x10
75 2x10

Overhead pressing was supersetted w/Meadow's rows 3x10

JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/16 at 6:36pm
Congrats on a solid season Charles. I hated to miss the ECCs. Just how life ends up in the way sometimes. It is definitely a goal to get back to it next year! On another note, your improvements were awesome. Across the board, I am struggling to say the same. I can't seem to find the next push to PRs. Just throwing consistently above lets say 90% in every event in almost every games (which luckily keeps me somewhat competitive)> What would you say was the biggest difference for you in 2016 compared to 2015 to see the improvements that you did?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/13/16 at 7:11pm
Thanks for the compliments Justin, I hope we can all make ECCs next year and we can share the field a few times next year. In regards to what I think made make the improvements this year, compared to last there are several things I can think of:
1. I filmed and reviewed the majority of my throws in practice
2. During most weeks in preparation for and during the season I lifted only twice a week and threw 3 times a week for maximal repetitions
3. I think practicing HWFD more frequently with the 49 helped
4. When lifting I did more squats and benches against bands which I think improved my explosiveness

I am pretty convinced though that the biggest reason for my improvement is just sheer repetition. I did one season as a B two years ago, moved up to the A's last year and finally hit some respectable marks on some throws this year. Since I am relatively new to this whole thing, I have probably just hit the number of reps necessary to get a moderate enough level of proficiency in most events in order to be able to translate my already existing strength into the throw. Despite all of this, the stone seems to be the one event that has not responded too well to the extra work and improves very slowly. I think the key for me to continue to improve will simply be more time and repetitions, because there are still tons of things I don't do well and need to improve on. But I guess if I can sum it up, for a person like me who is already pretty strong but relatively new to the game, improvement comes from more reps throwing and a bit less time in the gym.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/16 at 6:16am
Thursday Lower

Warmup: Heavy sled dragging x3 trips, weighted marching, 45 degree hypers x20, GHR x20, Rev hyper x20, Standing abs x20, Front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg squat 2x10, 1 leg dead 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of BB complex: snatch high pull x6/snatch grip behind the neck press x6/snatch balance x6

BB Power Snatch from floor
95x3
115x3
135 3x3

RE Front Box Squat w/harness on low box
145x5
195x5
235x5
285x5
325x5

Standing narrow stance GM w/SSB
barx10
135x5
185x5
225x5

Finished w/some ab wheel 3x12 and some hip separation drills

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/16 at 6:32pm
Friday RE Upper

Warmup: Upper body sled dragging, cuff complex, incline DB press 4x20, band pullaparts 4x20, CSR 2x20, 2x10

RE BB Floor Press (medium grip)
barx20
135x10
185x5
225x5
255x5
275x5

Pressing was supersetted w/pullups 3x5

Behind the neck snatch grip push press 
barx10
95x5
115x5
135x5

Push press supersetted w/pullovers 3x10

Walking hammer winds forwards/backwards x10
Rev hyper x20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/21/16 at 6:59pm
Wednesday DE Upper

Warmup: Upper body sled dragging, incline DB press 4x20, band pullaparts 4x20, band extensions 2x40, cuff complex

DE BB Bench
barx20
135x10
175 3x3 close
185 3x3 medium
205x3
215x3
225x3 all wide

Benching supersetted w/pullups: bwt x5, +20lb x3, +40lb x1 w/long eccentric

Full range behind the neck snatch grip overhead press
bar 2x10
65x10
75x10
85x10

Pressing supersetted w/Meadow's rows x10, x8, x6

Finished w/some walking hammer winds and some mobility stuff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/22/16 at 7:42pm
Thursday Lower

Warmup: Sled dragging w/moderate weight, weighted marching, GHR x20, 45 degree hyper x20, Rev hyper x20, standing abs x20, landmines x20, BB front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg split squat 2x10, 1 leg KB dead 2x5, hip mobility work.

2 rounds of BB Complex: Snatch high pull x6/Snatch grip behind the neck press x6/Snatch balance x6

Power Snatch From Hang
95x5
135x3
165x2
185x1
205x1

ME Front Box Squat, low box w/harness
barx10
145x5
195x2
235x2
285x2
325x2
355x2
375x2
add belt
415x1
445x1
465x1

Seated Goodmorning w/cambered bar: 135x10, 185x5, 225x5

Walking lunge barbell twist in bottom 2x10 supersetted w/ab wheel 2x10

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/25/16 at 6:48pm
Sunday ME Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, upper body sled dragging, flat DB press 4x20, band pullapart 4x20, band extensions x20, band flyes x20

BB Bench w/doubled mini bands
barx20
bar+bands x10
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
295x2
315x1
325x1
add slingshot
365x1

Straight weight 225x22

Benching was supersetted w/CSRs x20, x10, 5x5

DB pullovers 3x12

Behind the neck jerks: Bar x10, 95x5, 135x5, 155x5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/28/16 at 6:58pm
Wednesday Upper

Warmup: Upper body dragging, cuff complex, incline DB press 4x20, pulldowns 4x15

DE BB Bench w/chains
barx20
bar+80lb chain x10 (kept this chain from here on out)
135 3x3 close
155 3x3 medium
175 3x3 wide

Benching was supersetted w/pullups 3x5

Standing snatch grip behind the neck press: barx10, 65x10, 85x10, 95x10

Presses were supersetted w/1 arm pulldowns 3x10

Finished w/winds w/35lb KB x10 each side

Bad lightning outside so instead of finishing w/hammer winds to loosen up, I did winds with the 35lb KB using a similar form. It might be a good thing to do those for some midsection work in the future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/29/16 at 7:26pm
Thursday Lower

Warmup: Weighted marching, light sled dragging, 45 degree hyper x20, GHR x20, Standing abs x20, landmines x20, front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg squats 2x10, 1 leg deads 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of BB complex: Snatch grip high pull x6/Snatch grip behind the neck press x6/Snatch balance x6

BB Hip Power Snatch
95x3
115 2x3
135 2x3

DE Cambered Bar Box Squat on Foam (counting bar as 45lbs)
barx10
135x5
225x2
275 2x2
295 2x2
315 2x2
335 x2
365 x2

Reverse average band deadlift (bands set to deload completely above the knees), using hook grip
245x5
335x3
425x1
475x1
515x1
565x1
605x1 (strapped in here)

Walking BB lunge w/twists 2x10 supersetted w/ab wheel 2x12

I tried using the old Vince Anello deadlift technique keeping my heels close together with toes pointed out in the hopes of easing the sharp psoas pain that i have gotten on deadlifts. Surprisingly enough, it drastically reduced the discomfort and all weights moved easily. I didnt push it too hard to be on the safe side but this is the first time I have been able to do anything over 300lbs without severe pain in a long time. If I can just occassionally be able to do some heavy pulls every three weeks or so with this form, I will be totally happy.
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/16 at 8:20am
Nice, now you just need to grow a Vince Anello white guy afro to complete your 70s motif.
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/30/16 at 1:12pm
I wish I could grow a 70's fro, unfortunately as you know our familial alopecia would prevent that and I would just have a bald eagle-fro which would be disturbing. It would go well with my 70's diet though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/16 at 12:33pm
Saturday ME Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, upper body sled dragging, various types of DB pressing 4x20, band pullaparts 4x20, band flyes x20

Incline BB Bench
barx20
135x10
185x5
225x3
255x2
275x1
295x1
315x1
325x1

Benching was supersetted w/CSR x10, 3x5

Snatch grip behind the neck push press 
barx10
95x5
135x5
155x3

Push presses were supersetted w/rev hyper shrugs 3x20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/16 at 4:58pm
Monday Throwing

Walking LH winds 2x10

16lb stone
Toes to trig standing x5
1-2 drill x5
Braemar no reverse x5

28lb Weight
1 turn x5
2 turn x5

16lb Hammer
1 wind x5
3 winds x5

First throwing session in a month. With my relatively low proficiency level, the hammers and weights felt super rusty as expected. Stones didn't feel terrible, with my primative form I guess it was hard to get rusty on it. I tried a few new mental ques to work on hip separation and it felt like it was working pretty well but as a result caused my knee to get a little angry with me. The focus today was just trying to remember how to throw and trying to hit certain positions, no full speed throws. I will be throwing only once a week for the next month at least and will just use light implements. Gradually from there I will ramp things up. The road to next season and Central Florida starts today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/04/16 at 7:14pm
Tuesday DE Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, behind the neck pulldowns 4x15, flat DB press 4x20

DE BB Bench w/chains
barx10
bar+80lb chain x10 (kept this chain on from here on out)
135 3x3 close
165 3x3 medium
185 3x3 wide

Supersetted benching w/pullups: bwt x5, 20lb chain x3, 40lb chain x2

Standing snatch grip behind the neck press: bar x10, 65x10, 85 2x10

Pressing was supersetted w/neck harness 35lb 2x20 (to prevent having a stack o'dimes neck)

Finished w/some hammer winds to loosen everything up and then went home to put up hurricane shutters yay!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/16 at 7:16pm
Friday RE/Deload lower

Warmup: 45 degree hyper x20, GHR x20, Standing abs x20, BB front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg squat 2x10, 1 leg KB deads 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of complex of: snatch grip high pull x6/snatch grip behind the neck press x6/snatch balance x6

Power Snatch
95x3
135x3
155x3
175 3x1

RE Cambered bar box squat on foam (counting bar as 45lbs)
barx10
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x5
315x5

2 rounds of superset: cambered bar GM 135x10, bent row 175x5, ab wheel x10

I kept things pretty light today. We were lucky with the hurricane and only got tropical storm force winds and kept our electricity. I felt work out today so I just kept it easy.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/16 at 4:54pm
Sunday Upper Deload

Warmup: Upper body sled dragging, cuff complex, incline DB press 4x20, band pullaparts 4x20

BB Floor Press
barx20
135x10
185x5
225x5
275x5

Floor pressing was supersetted w/CSR 4x10

Behind the neck push press w/snatch grip 
barx10
95x5
135x5

Push press was supersetted w/rev hyper shrug 2x20

Finished w/some drills w/12lb shot, line drills and hammer winds

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/16 at 4:57pm
Monday throws

16lb stone
Toes to trig standing x5
1-2 drill x5
standing no reverse x5
standing w/reverse x3

28lb weight
Entry drill x5
1 turn x5
2 turn x5

Light hammer
10 wind x2
1 wind throw x3
2 wind throw x6

Finished w/heavy sled drags and ab work

Just trying to hit certain positions and drill fundamentals. No full speed throws, not bad distances though considering everything.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/16 at 7:30pm
Wednesday DE Upper

Warmup: Upper body sled drags, cuff complex, flat DB press 4x20, pulldowns 4x15.

DE BB Bench w/doubled mini bands
barx10
135 3x3 close (sets averaged velocity ranged from .72-.83 m/s)
165 3x3 medium (.64-.78 m/s)
185 3x3 wide (.71-.72 m/s)

Benching was supersetted w/pullups 3x5

Behind the neck full range press w/snatch grip 
barx10
65x10
85x5
95x5

Pressing was supersetted w/2 hand KB outside the leg swings 3x20 and neck harness 3x20

Finished w/some separation drills for stone

I am not making hitting a certain bar speed a big emphasis at this point in my training cycle, I just want to monitor where I am at for reference purposes. I also found out that there is one last games this year in Florida, a new games Celtober at the end of the month over in Sarasota. I would love to get out and throw and support a new games in the state if possible. Hopefully I can make it work with my job. I am very rusty on the throws and don't want to change up my whole training plan by going to an in-season throwing plan to do this games. I guess I will just stay the course and maybe get a few extra throw sessions in and see where the cards fall and not keep my expectations too high. I hope I can get out and do it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/16 at 7:42pm
Thursday ME Lower

Warmup: Weighted marching, medium sled dragging, 45 degree hyper x20, GHR x20, Standing abs x20, landmines x20, front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg squats 2x10, 1 leg deads 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of BB complex: Snatch grip high pull x6/Snatch grip behind the neck press x6/Snatch balance x6

BB Hang Power Snatch
95x3
135x3 (avg 1.51 m/s)
165x2 (1.62 m/s)
185x1 (1.79 m/s)
205- scraped my forehead, i guess im keeping the bar a little too close to me, dropped it after that
205x1 (1.6 m/s)
225x1 (1.51 m/s)

ME Cambered Bar Box Squat on foam
bar (counted as 45lb) x10
135x10
225x5
315x3
365x1
405x1 add belt here
455x1
495x1
525x1
545x1

Hang snatch grip high pulls 225 x3

Line drills w/49 x3
HH winds 3x10
Finished w/some neck harness GM sled drags and ab wheel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/16 at 6:32pm
Double Session Sunday

Morning ME Bench

Warmup: Upper body sled dragging, incline DB press 4x20, band pullapart 4x20

BB Bench w/chains
barx20
bar+80lb chain (kept this chain throughout) x10
135x5
185x5
225x3
255x2
275x1
295x1
315x1

Behind the neck push press
barx10
95x5
135x5
165x3
185x1

Finished w/CSR 2x10, 3x5 and some HH winds

Felt like hell overall this morning, no energy. Push press is easy, just hard to get back into place after the end of the set, dropping it is much easier but its a pain in the ass to get back into the rack again.

Afternoon throws

Stone
Toes to trig x5
Drop to 1 knee x5
Standing w/reverse x8 (most were out around 35ft)

49lb weight 
Entry drill x3
2 turn throws x5 (started at around 34ft and ended up putting a couple out past 37ft)

LWFD 2 turns x8 (started off around 59ft and worked some throws out past 64ft)

WOB x5 ugly and rusty, need to get the rhythm back

I ate some serious golden arches breakfast stuff and took a nap after the morning workout and that fueled me enough to have a surprisingly good afternoon throw session. I have not thrown a heavy weight since the ECCs, but the 49 felt really good today and the light weight was not too bad either. I may be able to put together some reasonable throws on those events in short notice. Stone was feeling good by my standards and I think some of the ques i am using may work out for me in the long term although i dont expect much in the short term. WOB just needs a little practice and I am going to have to get some throws in with the HH, Sheaf and Caber next week so that I dont make an ass out of myself in sarasota.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/16 at 6:57pm
Triple session Tuesday

Workout #1
Medium weight sled drags forward/backwards x3 trips
Reverse Hypers 3x12
Various ab exercises  

Workout #2 DE Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, flat DB press 4x20, pulldowns 4x15

DE BB Bench w/doubled mini bands
barx20
135 3x3 close (avg velocity .72-.8 m/s)
165 3x3 medium (.65-.78 m/s)
185 3x3 wide (.71-.72 m/s)

Benching was supersetted w/pullups: bwt x5, +20lb x3, +40lb x3

Behind the neck snatch grip press
bar 2x10
75x5
95x5

Supersetted pressing w/1 arm KB snatch 50 2x5

Workout #3 Throwing at the field after lifting

HH Walking wind x10
HH 10 wind
HH 2 wind and drop
HH 2 wind throws x8
LH 2 wind throws x3

Lots of work today, I was worn out from my shift and it was rough getting through the day. Threw the HH for the first time since ECCs and it was ugly. Slow, tight, off balance, very rusty. Probably throwing it fatigued and tight after lifting was not the best but time is limited to get ready for this games. I might have to bump up my calories to recover from the extra sessions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 13>
  Share Topic