FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

C. Fay Training Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/26/16 at 8:00pm
I read your log as well and thoroughly enjoy it. I just like being a fly on a wall haha. 

I would also say with your explosiveness, a solid shuffle for Ostone may be something to play with. Brent Miller (despite being a freak of nature) does it and regularly goes 50'+. Here is a delightful video with Brent shuffling to victory (among other big throws) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLXQODW-krk

Something to consider I suppose

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
CharlesFay View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/16 at 6:21am
Thanks for the input Jeff! It's funny you mentioned the shuffle because as I was driving home from the field yesterday, I thought to myself that after failing with the glide and MSA, the shuffle was about all I have left to try. I will probably spend this last month before my two big games just trying to get my stand as good as I can and then see if I can possibly shuffle my way to a PR in the offseason.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/16 at 8:43am
That sounds like a solid plan, don't wanna mess with stuff in the middle of the season. What's great about the shuffle for someone with your type of brute strength is the only thing you need to focus on is keeping your upper body back. Everything else is so intuitive that you're able to obliterate the delivery with minimal technical thought. 

After throwing shot for close to 20 years, the glide and spin still befuddle me, so you are not alone!
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/16 at 7:12pm
Originally posted by TheJeff696 TheJeff696 wrote:

That sounds like a solid plan, don't wanna mess with stuff in the middle of the season. What's great about the shuffle for someone with your type of brute strength is the only thing you need to focus on is keeping your upper body back. Everything else is so intuitive that you're able to obliterate the delivery with minimal technical thought. 

After throwing shot for close to 20 years, the glide and spin still befuddle me, so you are not alone!

I hear you. For some reason the stone has become a total act of frustration in this sport.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/27/16 at 7:25pm
Wednesday Throws

22lb Hammer
10 winds x2
2 wind and release x5
2 wind throw x6 (ranged from 77 to practice PRs of 84 and 85)

16lb 2 wind throws x6  (ranged from 90-96)

Caber
Walks x2
Runs x2
Run + toss x3 (11:30, 80 degrees or so almost a 12:00 and finished w/a 12:00)

20lb Sheaf
Bottoms up x6
Full Throw x4

16lb Sheaf Full Throw x4

I was very happy about how HH went today. I don't throw "flyers" in practice and my best practice PR with the HH is about 80 after which I hit several throws in games in the low 90s with a best of around 93. My best LH in practice is only around 101 and my best in a games is over 112. Hitting around a 5ft practice PR today will hopefully yield a much larger games HH throw. I have not been throwing the HH now and mostly just working the LH, it seems to be paying off, lets hope it does when it counts.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/28/16 at 9:00pm
Thursday Lower

Warmup: Hyperextensions 2x10, Side to side on hyper bench 2x10, GHR 2x12, Rev hyper 2x12, Standing abs 2x12, Landmines 2x12, BB Front squats 2x10, 1 leg squats 2x10, 1 leg KB deads 2x5, hip mobility work

2 Rounds of BB Complex: Snatch grip high pull x6/Behind the neck snatch grip press x6/Snatch balance x6

BB Hang Power Snatch
95 2x1 @1.57-1.67 m/s
135  2x1 @1.73-1.75 m/s
155x1 @1.67 m/s
175x1 @1.64 m/s
185 3x1 @1.53-1.69 m/s

DE BB Box Squat w/strong bands 
barx10
145x3
work sets
195x2 @.75 m/s
215x2 @.74 m/s
235x2 @.67 m/s
265x2 @.71 m/s
285x2 @.67 m/s belt added here
305x2 @.62 m/s
345x1 (misread on velocity)
375x1 @.43 m/s

Snatch Grip High Pulls from floor 185 2x1, 205 2x1, 225 2x1

Finished w/2 rounds of the following exercises: Jump rope x50, Walking lunge w/barbell on back x10, Standing BB twists x10, 1 arm KB swings 70 x8 per arm, ab wheel x10

Brutally hot day today as usual. I worked to some slightly heavier sets on the power snatch and with my poor form on this movement I thought things would get too ugly if I went heavier today. The box squats were done with strong bands which probably give me somewhere between 200-250lbs of tension at the top. I wanted to have a heavier day in which I would start sets at around .75m/s and gradually work up until I hit a single that was slower than .5m/s. My last double was 305 @.62 m/s and then unfortunately I couldnt get a reading 345. I assume by the feel that is was a little over .5 m/s. The 375 was much slower @.43 m/s and that signaled the end of squats for the day. I didn't bother testing my speed on the high pulls since my 2 speed style of pulling would not give me an accurate read. I pushed hard this week and have one more intense upper body workout and 1 more high volume throwing workout before the week is over. The idea is to really push it to the limit this week and then deload next week.
AndrewK51 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewK51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/16 at 7:02am
Are you still training at Southside?

I was in Ft. Myers for grad school a few years ago and trained at (the former) Gulf Coast Barbell with Ed and all those those guys.

... It is a funny path from multiply powerlifting to highland games...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/29/16 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by AndrewK51 AndrewK51 wrote:

Are you still training at Southside?

I was in Ft. Myers for grad school a few years ago and trained at (the former) Gulf Coast Barbell with Ed and all those those guys.

... It is a funny path from multiply powerlifting to highland games...

I am still training at Southside Barbell and my wife and I now run the place. We have a relatively small crew we train with these days and have a nicer, larger space in Boynton Beach. I have a field right next door to the gym where I can train the throws and can store my caber at the gym. You are right, it is a funny path from multiply powerlifting to the games. While I have some great powerlifting memories and did some respectable lifts in the sport, Highland games seems like a hell of a lot more fun to me.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/16 at 9:39am
Chaz, you are so strong!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/16 at 11:50am
Originally posted by JustinBlatnik JustinBlatnik wrote:

Chaz, you are so strong!

Thanks Justin. Lol! Unfortunately in the realm of strength, I am a shell of my younger powerlifting or football playing self, but I am not as fat as my younger self either, so that's a decent bargain I guess.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/16 at 12:05pm
Saturday Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, incline DB press 2x20, rev hyper 2x10, standing abs 2x10, band pullaparts 2x20, CSR 2x20, walking hammer winds forwards/backwards x10, Med Ball throws 40x6, 30x6, 22x6

BB Bench w/fat bar +doubled monster mini bands
barx10
bar+bands x10  
125x5
165 2x2 sets between .65-.69 m/s (slow start)
195 2x2 sets between .75-.81 m/s  (2nd rep of 1st set @.97!)
215 2x2 sets between .66-.79 m/s
245X2 @.59 m/s
255x1 @.56 m/s
275 4x1 @ .38, .42, .49, .47 m/s

Benching was supersetted w/explosive pullups 12x1

Standing behind the neck press w/snatch grip: bar 2x10, 65x10, 75 2x10 supersetted w/rotating band face pulls w/monster mini 3x10

1 arm KB snatch 50x3, 70x3, 106x3 (used 1,2 and go, WOB type technique w/the 106 for momentum)

Interesting day today. I have been pushing the volume and intensity pretty high on throws and lifts for the last two weeks with the goal to basically fry myself. The wild inconsistency in my reps on bench today indicate that I am getting close to that point now. I hit doubles with the idea of being between .75-.5 m/s on this heavier day and then hit a point where things got slow and try to speed up with singles. I got slow at 275 and although my reps got faster I couldn't crack the .5 barrier so I shut it down. With the KB snatches, I find that they help my WOB a good bit because with my build and technique they seem to carrry over. I am not sure however that these would work as well for others with a more traditional WOB form with a large back swing. Tomorrow I throw one more time with a good bit of volume and heavier implements to finish myself off and deload next week. Hopefully I can supercompensate next week, hit two more weeks of hard training and then deload for the games and supercompensate once again and hit some PRs. Lets see how the plan works.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/31/16 at 9:15am
Sunday Morning Throws

16 lb Hammer 10 winds 2x10

22lb Braemar ball
Standing toes to trig x5
Braemar drop to 1 knee x3
Braemar no reverse x3

16lb stone
Braemar no reverse x3
Braemar w/reverse x12

12lb shot Braemar x3 (plastic shot got too slimy, shut this down after 3)
16lb stone Braemar x3

49lb Weight
Entry drill x3
2 turns x6 (started off around 32 ft and gradually ramped it up to 37 ft)

28lb weight 2 turns x9 (55-62 ft)

Due to a test prep schedule, I had to train early this morning and the conditions were not good. It had just rained and the field sucked bad, it essentially alternated from muddy and slick to soft and sandy. Not good for distances but prepares me for worst case scenarios. The stones were difficult because they were both sandy and slimey. If anyone who reads this likes to cook and has fried something before, I liken it to when you accidentally use your wet hand to bread something, that is what the stone, braemar ball and indoor shot were like, I could never get any flick at the end of the throw as a result. Separation sucked as usual but I am trying. 49 went well, I just tried to stay smooth and patient and the more I did that, the farther the weight went. 28 was all over the place, I think is was just fatigue setting in. I was going to WOB at the end at this 15ft fence by standing under the gate, I gave up after 2 throws, something about worrying about hitting the chain link fence was making me finish all wrong and leave it out in front, I will only use my branch at the other field for WOB, this is just a no go. Deload week here I come, yay!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/16 at 8:10pm
Thursday Deload Lower/Hybrid day

Warmup: 45 degree hyper x15, GHR x12, standing abs x12, standing BB twists x10

Went to field:
LH 10 winds x2
LH 2 wind and release x3
LH 2 wind throws x5

Caber
Walk x1
Run x1
Turn x1

Sheaf
22lb Bottoms up x4
16lb Bottoms up x4
16lb Full throws x4

At Gym

Close Grip BB Hang Power Snatch 95 3x5

DE BB Box Squat w/strong bands
Bar 2x10
145 3x2 avg velocity .74-.84 m/s
195 3x2 avg velocity ..77-.85 m/s
145x2 @.82 m/s
105x2 @.97 m/s

Jump rope 50 rotations x2
Box jumps on 24" box 3x5
Ab wheel 2x10

Deloading this week, so the volume and intensity of throws and lifts are low. I worked some light close grip snatches that always feel awkward. I will say that the last time I did these, I hit several Hammer PRs and I know this movement is a favorite of olympic hammer guys. Hopefully they will help me in this event once again. I have to be careful to go light on them, otherwise i get some nasty pains in my upper forearm. The DE squats were slower than I wanted them to be with the light weight plus band. I was initially worried the weight was so light I was having to decellerate at the top so as not to end up coming up onto my toes, adding a little weight didnt do much for bar speed, neither did dropping the weight. Next week I will start a speed strength phase with lots of band tension and will use the SSB. I use an unconventional no hands technique with the SSB and just keep my bands on my belly. For some reason with this form, I can move the bar really fast. We shall see just how fast next week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/16 at 6:33pm
Friday Morning Throws

16lb stone
Toes to trig standing x5
Braemar no reverse x5
Braemar w/reverse x5

49lb weight: entry drills x5

28lb weight: 2 turns x6

Another deload throwing day. No extreme efforts here and a reminder to take it a little more easy with the weights. By going a little slower, hitting the right positions and being patient, I managed to throw much farther than I intended to without really putting much energy into it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/16 at 7:05pm
Sunday Deload Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, Incline DB press 2x20, Rev hyper 2x10, standing abs 2x10, CSR 2x20, band pullaparts 2x20

DE BB Bench w/doubled monster mini bands
barx30 (3 grips)
bar+bands x10
95x5
135 3x3 close grip (best avg velocity .94 m/s)
135 3x3 medium grip (best @.97 m/s)
135 3x3 wide grip ( best @.88 m/s)

Benching supersetted w/explosive pullups 9x1

Behind the neck jerk
bar 2x10
95 3x5

Easy deload today, worked on keeping the bar speed fast. I have not done behind the neck jerks in ages, so I just kept them real light to get comfy with lowering the bar back into place. I may gradually work on these over time. Back to pushing hard for the next two weeks, should be a fun challenge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/16 at 7:54pm
Rainy Monday Throws

16lb Hammer walking winds 2x10 (forwards/backwards)

16lb Stone
Standing toes to trig x5
Braemar (drop to one knee) x5
Braemar (no reverse) x6
Braemar w/reverse x10 (ranged from 33-36ft)

56lb weight
Entry drills x3
2 turns x5 (29-30 1/2 ft)

49lb weight 2 turns x5 (32-35ft)

28lb weight 2 turns x6 (53-58ft)

WOB x5  (worked between 13'6 and 15' section of branch, cleared 3, left 1 out front, one hit the top of the branch which is around 20" in circumference)

It rained all day today and despite the dour weather, I went out and threw in the rain. HG is an outdoor sport and being such I practice in all conditions except lightning. At this point in the game I just can't miss sessions. I have my work cut out for me at Am nationals and ECCs, I am already at risk of getting embarrassed by some seriously talented throwers, I need to take every chance I can to get better. Needless to say due to the field conditions, slimey stones and handles the distances were not impressive, but I got the work in. Weather should be bad all week long, so this might be the first of several nasty sessions. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/16 at 6:55pm
Wednesday Throws

HH 10 winds x2
HH 1 wind throws x5
HH 2 wind and release drill x5
HH 2 wind throws x8  (between 75 and 83ft which is between 88-97% of my best with my own hammer)
LW 2 wind throws x3 (between 90 and 101 ft, or 90-100% of best with this practice hammer)

Caber
Walk x1
Run x1
Attempt to turn x2
Turns x4 all 12:00s

20lb Sheaf
Bottoms up x4
Full throw x6

16lb Sheaf  
Full throws x2

I felt rusty today on the HH and the timing and balance was a bit inconsistent. Caber initially felt the same way. Overall it was a good day though, plenty of volume with heavier stuff. Probably my rustiness is due to the fact that I deloaded last week and my overall HG proficiency level is still low enough that even backing off of some implements for a week makes me have to take a few more throws to get in the groove again.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/16 at 8:07pm
Thursday Lower

Warmup: 45 degree hyper x20, GHR x20, Rev hyper x20, Standing abs x20, Landmine x20, BB Front squat x10, 1 leg squat 2x10, 1 leg KB deads 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of BB complex: Snatch grip high pull x6/Behind the neck press w/snatch grip x6/snatch balance x6

BB Hang Power Snatch
95x3
135 2x1 (1.65-1.68 m/s)
155 2x1 (1.7-1.76 m/s)
175 2x1 (1.69-1.73 m/s)
185x1 @1.65 m/s
195x1 @1.71 m/s
Close grip snatch
95x3 avg 1.48 m/s
115x3 @1.44 m/s
135x3 @1.3 m/s

Speed strength phase DE BB Box Squats w/SSB and lots of bands 
bar (counting it as 45lbs) +strong bands x5
bar+strong and average bands x3
bar+stong, average and light bands x2 (kept this tension throughout)
95 6x2 (sets ranged from .82-.98 m/s)

Box Jumps
24" box x5
36" box 2x5

Ab wheel 2x12

Speed was the name of the game tonight. From powerlifting to highland games, I have always found the speed strength phase for DE squats to help get me fast and explosive. I used a bunch of band tension, probably around 500lbs tension at the top with very little bar weight. Thee great thing about this massive amount of tension is that it slams you down to the box and creates a tremendous stretch reflex with which you rapidly explode through the rep and finish fast to outrun the band tension. The box jumping went well at the end as well and I may include some depth jumps next week. Hopefully this cycle will be the icing on the cake and I can maximize my explosiveness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/16 at 6:18pm
Saturday Throws

HH Walking winds 2x10 forward/backward

16 lb stone
Standing toes to trig x5
Standing 1-2 drill x5
Braemar w/reverse x6

56lb weight
Entry drill x3
2 turn throws x4

49lb weight 2 turn x3

28lb weight 2 turn x9

Not a great day today overall. For some reason my left elbow has been acting up for the last two days so I had to take it a little easy on the stones and couldn't finish to hard, same thing with the weights. I suck so bad at stones that it may be best off barely even throwing it next week and just focusing on everything else. Lets face it, my stone is so bad that I will be dead last in it at nationals no matter what. There is no point in beating my self up on it at this point because it will not make me much better. Heavy weights were pretty good, light weights were sucking. Next week I need to throw mostly with the light weight in order to get my speed back, all this heavy stuff has slowed me down. Benching tomorrow should be fun.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/16 at 10:03am
Sunday Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, Incline DB press 2x20, rev hyper 2x10, standing abs 2x10, band pullapart 2x20, CSR 2x20, med ball throws 40lb x6, 30lb x6

DE Fat Bar Bench w/bands
barx20
bar+doubled monster minis x10
bar+doubled monster minis and doubled minis x10 (kept this tension throughout)
125x3 @1.03 m/s
145 5x3 between .87-.92 m/s
165 3x3 between .84-.9 m/s

Behind the neck snatch grip push press: bar 2x10, 95x5, 115x5, 135x5

Push press was supersetted w/explosive pullup 9x1

Finished w/2 rounds of the following superset: Supine med ball throws 30lb x6, 25lb plate winds, 1 arm KB snatch 70x3

Lots of band tension on the fat bar today, probably around 180lbs of tension at the top give or take. Bar speed stayed fast with the minimal bar weight that I put on. Still just trying to get comfy with the behind the neck work, so staying conservative there so i dont destroy the shoulder. Good day overall, the elbow gave me minimal problems.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 6:21am
Tuesday Throws

LH 10 wind drill x2

16lb stone
Standing toes to trig x5
Braemar dropping to one knee x5
Braemar no reverse x5
Braemar w/reverse x5

56lb weight entry drill x5

28lb weight
1 turn x5
2 turns x10

WOB x4

Highly variable day today. The stones were feeling pretty good although not impressive as usual. The elbow was not acting up on the stone at least. With the 28 my 1 turns felt very nice, however the 2 turns were very inconsistent. On some I was too aggressive on the entry, not staying low enough and at times not getting both feet planted before releasing, also had a few side fouls. This inconsistency caused a shotgun effect in my throws and really scattered them around. The elbow also was acting up on the release which hampered things a bit. I have had a good few months on LWFD and did not expect this event to suddenly fall apart and become problematic. I just need to get it together when I have my last big throwing session on friday. WOB felt great, just took a few to make sure I was still good at it and went home. At this point in the game I am not sure if the inconsistency in my throwing is caused by compounding fatigue from all of the things I have had on my plate this summer plus all of the training and throwing. Hopefully deloading into the games next week will help some of my issues.
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/16 at 7:57am
My LWFD does that to me too. It usually happens after some crazy throwing sesh or lifting because I cant connect my legs to my brain haha. I would definitely tend to think letting off the gas will help going into Worlds. 
Jeff Kaste

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/16 at 6:03am
Yeah Jeff, you pretty much described the situation with my LWFD. The deload should do the trick, or at least I sure hope so. Typically whenever I push things close to a games with the lifting, especially the high band tension plus a good bit of throwing I get a decrease in performance followed after a deload by a drastic increase in performance. Luckily this is a pretty consistent thing for me. Despite knowing this, mentally it can mess with you when suddenly a good number of throws are off. The key for me now is just staying the course and then resting up a whole bunch next week.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/16 at 6:09am
Wednesday Throws

22lb HH
10 winds x2
1 wind throws x5
2 wind+release x5
2 wind throws x8 (between 77-84)

16lb LH 
2 wind throws x4 (between 97-100)

Caber x4 (turned 3 times for 11-12ish)

20lb sheaf 
Bottoms up x4
Full x4

16lb sheaf 
Full x4

Hammers felt pretty decent, a few were a bit off when I tried to put too much into them. I just need to stay long and loose because that will give me more distance than trying to kill it. Throws were around 90-97% on my HH of my practice best and around 97-99% of my practice bests with the LH. Often I get around 10ft more on my HH in a games than I hit with my own hammer in practice. If this holds true, then by the way hammer practices have gone I should be in striking distance of a small PR. Caber felt pretty good and same with sheaf. The 20lb sheaf is a real mystery to me having never thrown it in a games. I have no clue how I will do with it when I get under some actual standards. Should be a fun challenge.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/16 at 5:53am
Thursday Lower

Warmup: 45 degree hyper x20, GHR x20, Rev hyper x20, Standing abs x20, Landmines x20, Front squat w/bar 2x10, 1 leg squat 2x10, 1 leg KB dead 2x5, hip mobility work

2 rounds of BB complex of snatch grip high pull x6/snatch grip behind the neck press x6/snatch balance x6

BB Hang Power Snatch
95x5
135x3
165x1
185x1
205x1
215x1
225x1

Med ball throw 40lb 2x6
Jump Rope x50
Box jump on 20" box x5, on 31" box 2x5
Depth jump from 20" box x5

Speed Strength DE Box Squat w/SSB and bands (SSB counted as 45lbs)
bar+strong bands x10
bar+strong+average bands x5
bar+strong+average+light bands x3 (kept this tension, probably around 500lbs @the top)
95x2 @.93 m/s
135x2 @.87 m/s
165x2 @.83 m/s
185x2 (no measurement)
205x1 (no measurement)
225x1 @.76 m/s
245x1 @.73 m/s

Last heavy day of lower body work. I went a little heavier on the power snatches and did a good bit of jumping as well. I didn't bother to measure bar velocity on the snatch since I figured if I made the lift it was fast enough. Squats were speedy against a bunch of tension, the plan was to work between 1 m/s and .75 m/s and once I dropped below that, I would stop. Peak velocities on the squats varied between 2 m/s at the lightest and 1.34 m/s at the slowest. Peak is not what I normally pay attention to, rather average velocity is what I care about.  One last big throwing session friday and one last upper session saturday. Lets hope the body holds up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/16 at 6:11am
Friday Throws

HH Walking winds 2x10 forward/backward
HH 2 wind + release x5

Stone
Standing toes to trig x5
1-2 drill x3
Braemar no reverse x3
Braemar w/reverse x10 (ranged between 32-37, most around 36, or between 84-97% of best practice throws)

HWFD 
Entry drill x3
Full throws x8  (ranged between 28-32 with most around 30-31, or 82-94% of my best practice throws)

LWFD Full throws x10 (ranged between 50-63 or 76-95% of best practice throws)

WOB x4, cleared twice at around 14 and once around 16

Last serious throwing session today before the big games next weekend. Stones felt pretty good for me. Since my form is just so bad on them, fatigue couldn't really hamper my technique since my technique is so bad to start with. HWFD really took the biggest hit today, very inconsistent on the throws, finishing off balance, a couple of times I didnt wait to get both feet down on the throw and a few side fouls. Ugly and pretty much the same issue I had with LWFD the last few sessions. On the other hand LWFD felt better, I tried to slow down out of the back and then really focus on catching it and driving hard on the second turn, gradually I ramped the throws up and hit a few at a good distance before the elbow started to feel like crap. Hit a few WOBs at the end and called it a day. I went home and between the heavy band tension on thursday with the jumps and the friday throws, my legs felt completely shot. Saturday bench is all I have left and then a walk-through throwing session next week and some light GPP work. Thank god.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/16 at 5:08am
Saturday Upper

Warmup: Cuff complex, Incline DB press 2x20, band pullaparts 2x20, CSR 2x20, standing abs 2x20, standing med ball throws w/40, 30, 20lb balls x6 at each.

DE Fat Bar Bench w/bands
bar+doubled monster mini bands x10
bar+doubled monster mini bands and doubled mini bands x10 (kept this tension, approx 180lbs extra at top)
125x3 @.92 m/s
145x3 @.86 m/s
165x3 @.81 m/s
165x3 @.85 m/s
185x1 @.65 m/s
185x1 @.63 m/s (shut it down, getting too slow)

Benching was supersetted w/explosive pullups 8x1

Behind the neck jerks w/snatch grip 
bar 2x10
95x5
135x5
145x5

Supine med ball throws w/30lb med ball 3x6

As soon as I got a bar in my hands today and felt everything ache, I knew it was going to be interesting. Coming out of the gate I was hitting some good speeds but very quickly as I added weight I hit a wall and was not getting faster so I shut it down. The goal was to work between 1m/s and .75 m/s and stop if I got below that. Plenty of explosive work overall, things were about where I expected them to be at this point in the game. For the next two competition weeks I will do some light circuit-type of lifting, sled dragging etc to keep me moving and get some blood flow and recovery in. Nothing worth posting though.

JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/16 at 3:04pm
Good luck in the coming weeks Chaz. Wish I were throwing with you man!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/16 at 7:04pm
Thanks Justin! I wish you were throwing with us as well. Hopefully we can catch up and throw together again sometime in the near future.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CharlesFay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/16 at 7:10pm
Monday Walk Through Throws

HH 
Walking winds x10
10 wind drill 2x10
2 wind + release x3
2 wind throws x3

16lb stone
Flicks x5
Toes to trig x3
Braemar no reverse x3
Braemar w/reverse x3

56lb weight
Entry drill x3
Full throw x3

28lb weight full throw x4

20lb sheaf
bottoms up x2
full throw x2

Caber 
walk x1
turn x1 @12:00

Did my games "walk through" practice today, took a few moderate reps at each event and got through everything in an hour. The rest of the week is just going to be some blood flow/gpp work and thats it. I'm going to try to bump up my food a bit this week and eat a little more red meat as well as take some cissus and fish oil to keep the inflammation down. The goals for the Amateur Championships are to have fun, try to learn as much as I can from the awesome competitors that I will be throwing with, hopefully PR in a few events and just try not to shame myself out there with this class of competition. I am excited to see how things turn out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
  Share Topic