Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Newbie
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training in the Asheville, NC area?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0siris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training in the Asheville, NC area?
    Posted: 5/04/16 at 11:35pm
As the subject line suggests, I am from and currently live in the Asheville, NC area, and am finding myself drawn to this sport. Up until a year ago, I was out of shape and fairly unhealthy. Since then I've been running and doing CF several days a week, and am now beginning to focus more energy on strength training than I have been. All of that being said, training for and participating in the heavy athletics side of the Highland games has always been an interest of mine for years, but never a physical possibility. Now that I'm finding my body to be much more capable than it used to be, I've decided to at least explore this sport to decide if I really would enjoy it.

Is there anyone in or around the Asheville, NC area that has experience that would be willing to show me the absolute basics? Or if there is a group that gets together somewhere within a reasonable distance I could meet up with? I have read countless articles and watched tons of youtube videos, but I feel that until I actually try these things then I can't move forward. I have tons of questions that I won't flood this first post with, but any advice on how best to proceed would be appreciated. In the meantime, I am going to go watch several upcoming events including the games at Furman, as well as the GMHG possibly, and continue my conditioning work as well as overall strength training.
JustinConnor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinConnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/16 at 8:34am
We usually throw usually once a week in Johnson City, TN, usually on Saturday or Sunday. There are also clinics usually once a month. If you're interested, look us up on facebook, Tennessee Highland Heavy Athletics. Come throw with us. We would be glad to show you the basics.
0siris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0siris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/16 at 10:05am
Thanks a lot Justin. I found you guys on FB so I'll definitely be in touch.
JustinConnor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinConnor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/16 at 11:32am
Okay cool man, not a problem. There are games being held in Johnson City on June 25 (you may have seen it on fb). I would encourage you to sign up and participate if interested. You can contact the AD Brenden Bohannon on FB or email at laochbandearg@gmail.com. It's $25 to register and you also get a t shirt. I would recommend signing up for the novice class at first, it's a good place to start. Come out and throw with us. Get a feel for it and see how you like it.
JustinBlatnik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JustinBlatnik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/10/16 at 9:10pm
June 18th in Winston-Salem there will be a novice/women's clinic hosted through SHAG (Southeastern Highland Athletic Group) who run the athletics at most of the games in the Southeast.  Look them up on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296428157077941/

Post for the clinic: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296428157077941/permalink/1029168543803895/
0siris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 0siris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/03/16 at 1:54am
Originally posted by JustinConnor JustinConnor wrote:

Okay cool man, not a problem. There are games being held in Johnson City on June 25 (you may have seen it on fb). I would encourage you to sign up and participate if interested. You can contact the AD Brenden Bohannon on FB or email at laochbandearg@gmail.com. It's $25 to register and you also get a t shirt. I would recommend signing up for the novice class at first, it's a good place to start. Come out and throw with us. Get a feel for it and see how you like it.

I'm following the Tennessee Highland group on FB, and hopefully I'll be able to get out soon to throw with everyone. I'm planning on registering for the games on the 25th in the next week or so. Thanks for the input!

Originally posted by JustinBlatnik JustinBlatnik wrote:

June 18th in Winston-Salem there will be a novice/women's clinic hosted through SHAG (Southeastern Highland Athletic Group) who run the athletics at most of the games in the Southeast.  Look them up on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/296428157077941/

Post for the clinic: https://www.facebook.com/groups/296428157077941/permalink/1029168543803895/

Just requested to be added to the group. I'm quickly realizing that there is a lot of keyboard work involved in finding games in the area, as there is no single organization that oversees all of the events it seems. Sounds like SHAG is the link I was missing. Thanks so much for the info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic