Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Jogging.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jogging.
    Posted: 5/05/15 at 4:01pm
How much are you doing, and what amount would be the most beneficial to a HG athlete?
...Josh
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/05/15 at 4:50pm
None, and none.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 8:24am
Athletes run.
The man in the arena.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 8:30am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Athletes run.

Agreed. Different capacities, sprints esp in our sport, but i doubt any of us are such a fine tuned machines that jogging is going to impede performance and imo for most of us it will help our GPP enough that it will improve performance.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 9:21am
How would suggest implementing into one's program?
...Josh
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

Athletes run.

jogging != running. 

I think it's crazy for strength athletes weighing 275lbs+ to be out on the road running miles. 

Sprints?  That's a different story. 
Borges View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
The Conrad Dobler of the Highland Games

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borges Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 10:26am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I think it's crazy for strength athletes weighing 275lbs+ to be out on the road running miles. 

The exact reasoning behind my response. Your knees and low back are already taking a beating from throwing and lifting. Jogging is just plain dumb. I'm all for GPP and basic aerobic conditioning but do it smart. Sled-dragging, cycling, rowing, Jacobs ladder, anything but pounding your joints in an activity that has no meaningful carryover to throwing.
Cheers,

Carlos

"Live free or die"
Shawn Baker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shawn Baker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 2:08pm
Conditioning a good idea- jogging not a very good way to do it- I am a fan of sprinting though (just have to watch out for muscle pulls)
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 2:57pm
There are three types of people who jog for distance.

1. Those who want to be better at it. Like T &F people or those who do 5k or more.

2. Those who think it is a great way to excersize and get/keep a figure they want.

3. Those who just enjoy it.

It is a slow twitch movement which won't help throwing imo.

Short sprints is where it's at. 40 meters is good enough. On grass at 70-80% at first. The graduate to a track after your body gets used to it.

If your talking about jogging as a warm up before lifting. 800 meters is good enough. Bike is probably better, or walking at a fast pace.

My 2 pennies.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
rknebel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rknebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/06/15 at 5:31pm
I do not like to run or sprint or even go on walks for that matter. I do like playing basketball. That is pretty much all the running I do. Should I do more...maybe. Am I going to...nope. But, I have terrible knees and they don't hold up well to any kinds of running more than once a week or so.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/07/15 at 4:13am
Jog from the house to the curb(about 45 yards) when I hear the ice cream truck coming..once fueled up I walk back the 45 yards
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/11/15 at 4:47pm
I'm a big fan. When I was working with Alex Viada he was having me do a combination of timed/relaxed runs as well as longer distance sprints.

For instance:

3x1.5mile repeats after a squat workout. Goal was 4:20 (8:40/mile pace)

Once a week he would have me do a timed run, something like 30-40mins at a relaxed pace. MY relaxed pace was about a 11:30-12:00/mile pace. It's all relative to yourself.

Lastly, on my conditioning day I would do a squat/jog workout. 4 rounds of 135x20 squat followed by 1/4 mile jog for time.

I've gotten away from these and I can see a difference in my recovery and overall conditioning.

While this probably doesn't matter much, in a matter of 4 months I went from an 11:53 mile with having to stop several times to an 8:36 mile at 275lb bodyweight. I felt and recovered better, faster and was much less winded walking up stairs. Haha
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 9:05am
Jake,

Do you feel that this has improved your performance in the Highland Games?
...Josh
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:00am
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Jake,

Do you feel that this has improved your performance in the Highland Games?

I can't really tell as I started jogging too late in the season to see a difference while competing (August).

I did see notable differences in my blood pressure and RHR.. and throwing (practices) didn't seem to take as much out of me despite training for the same length of time.

Alex wrote an Ebook on hybrid training that has some solid information about energy pathways and how to program endurance work into strength specific training without taxing recovery, rather instead aiding recovery. It boils down to choosing when to do your distance easy runs vs distance hard runs and adding jogging in with conditioning cicruits.

For instance, he never programmed volume work for me. I would do max rep stuff every now and then but it wasn't a week after week sets of 8s and 10s because this uses energy pathways that a 30-40 minute jog would use. Instead, doing speedwork and heavy-ish singles/triples and such it doesn't interfere with the jogging.

While the 1/2 mile repeats were probably the most miserable out of all of them, I found them the most enjoyable. They made my knees feel great, made me feel athletic and the blood rushing throughout my legs really helped me recover. I even got to the point where a 30+ minute jog at an easy pace (12:00/mile) was rather relaxing.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:08am
OK.  So I guess the question would be, "Do you think you've improved HG performance as a result of hybrid training?"

Unless you are strictly doing it for health reasons.
...Josh
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:15am
if the question is: does it make me throw farther? then the answer is no

it does, however, give me more efficient practices in the form of being less winded so I can focus more on positions. It gives me more efficient weight training sessions as I am more recovered going into the weight room, despite no change in volume. I also had way more energy at the Tucson games (November) by the end of the day than I usually would have. Shrug.

I prefer the health benefits over the throwing benefits personally.

CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/12/15 at 10:22am
Good, good.  Thanks.
...Josh
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/18/15 at 7:56am
Maybe I'm different, but I don't get winded during throwing sessions. And, if you're throwing so much that you're getting winded, you've probably taken too many throws that day and  are facing diminishing returns (technique and focus dwindling).  This is why I keep my practices to two events, maybe three, and carefully watch my distances and "feel" of the day. 

In my career, I've not seen jogging help my throwing. In college, I had a coach who thought it was a good idea to jog 45 minutes two or more times a week. Sure, I could do it and it wasn't much of a struggle, but my throws suffered for it (you should see the progression of my college days). 

I can see and understand the recovery and health aspect, but you're playing with fire for the throws. For cardio and GPP, I'd rather work in sprints or short bouts of other things. Aside from the caber, we are only traveling, at the most, nine feet with a full recovery between throws. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic