Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Brandell Training Log

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/15 at 8:31am
Not sure what I did replacing Mom's Hot water heater this weekend but I strained the hell out of my right oblique. Swollen and hurts all the time even if I don't do anything, even in the hip. Joys of the post Rad/Chemo body...

Will train through, but I think its about time for an adjustment after this week on the plan.  Will modify this week to get through the side thingy. 
Brian Randell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/15 at 3:40pm
Back = Mucho better.  Saw Dr. Mons at CTCA Yesterday, did the monthly scope, went over CT Scan, he couldn't be happier.  Feels 99% I won't see this bastard again. Dr. Watts my Rad Onc that left after my treatments told me 3% max of re occurrence in his opinion. Ill take those odds and run.

Day 9:
Trap bar 2x5 195
Military Press 2x5 100
Zercher Squat 2x5 90
Rows 2x5
Anterior Chain 2x5

funny how all this works. Had almost decided this was the last week of just pure trap bar and going to a 2 day routine (Minimalist will approve...) and start squatting again. Light weight, work on form, good form, good reps = can advance in weight.  

Funny part is an ol' boy just put a squat rack up for sale on Craigs list for 350.00 + some weights and an extra bar. I offered 250.00 go pick it up tonight.  Funny how it all comes around eh?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/15 at 3:42pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/15 at 10:28am
12/10/2015

Day 10:
Trap bar 2x5 190
Military Press 2x5
Zercher Squat 2x5
Rows 2x5
Anterior Chain 2x5

2 day routine starts Monday. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/16 at 2:06pm
Retiring.  

Ok so I got my MRI Results today First off YES I have a brain and my Nurse Practitioner says it looks perfect. Now the results say unremarkable, but that means great so there!!! No Lesions, of course no cancer but mainly no MS.

Spinal cord shows no issues as well. The issue is Severe Neruoforminal narrowing on the right at C4-C5, Moderate to Severe Narrowing on the Left at C4-C5 and Severe Narrowing Bilaterally at C5-C6. So essentially very little discs left at those two spots. the reasoning for getting the scans done was I was having lehermettes sign where when I bend my head down, my spinal cord buzzes from the atlas down to my butt.

referral to the Ortho that just did her neck who is conservative and a 2nd opinion after that with another one. She says looking at the results something will have to be done with in a couple years if I don't do stupid stuff to damage it further.

After talking with Gene Flynn etal. Its just time. After the neck surgery I had last year I am just not going to have my neck worked on for a long time unless absolutely needed.  For everything there is a season and I have had two in the games.

I am still going to try and judge and assist in coaching if anyone wants it. Everyone knows how to contact me on FB or email.

Thank you all for your friendship and support. 

TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/20/16 at 2:53pm
Counting the positives in this message as much greater than any negatives.  I salute you Brian.

Tom

Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/21/16 at 6:35am
Thanks Tom, for everything there is a season. I will still be around to help however I can

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 8:58am

IF there are no setbacks, I am throwing at Tulsa (Maybe both days depending on feel and what I weigh).

I will be just past the 1 year cancer free point, so FU Cancer I plan on getting on the field.

06/19/2016

Yesterday...
Floor press. 3x5
Incline pushups 3x5
Pull downs. 3x5
Tris and Bis

06/18/16

SGHP 3x3
Zercher squat 3x5  (Thank you Al Myers for the zercher / Front Squat harness!)
Good mornings (Love these) 3x5
Step ups 3x5
Calves 3x20

06/15/16

First workout back post getting the adrenals somewhat functioning.

Block pull 3x5
Military press 3x5
1 Arm Row 3x5
Power Shrug 3x5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 8:59am
PS Talked to Ortho, he says keep the bar off the back of the neck and just keep watch on it. So yeah gonna try to throw.  Zercher/FS harness keeps it off the back of the neck, legs get work, Winning!
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 1:31pm
If you have access to a sled, you've got more options. Plus goblet squats.

Tons of ways to get leg work in without squatting. Trust me. I've had to find out ;)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/20/16 at 3:46pm
Thanks brother, saving up for the sled.  The Zercher harness really is a life saver, you really have to drop the weight and I feel every freaking muscle plus the back and core.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/22/16 at 8:25pm

Block pull 3x5 *
Good mornings 3x5 (yes doing these 2x per week right now) 
Military press 3x5
Row 3x5
Power Shrug 3x5

* Last set felt really good so I hit 8 reps. Had 2 left in the tank easy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/25/16 at 8:51pm
SGHP 3x3
Zercher squat 3x5
Front Squat 3x5
Good Mornings 3x5
Calves 3x20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/26/16 at 5:30pm

Today's fun..

Floor Press 3x5
Pulldown 3x5
Bis 2 ex 3x5
Tris 2 ex 3x5

Core...ugh..... If there was any doubt my core is my weakest area, there wasn't after today.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/27/16 at 7:38pm
I have realized that for the last 18 years or so I have been doing something wrong and stupid.  I have been squatting too narrow.  Stupid because in the back of my mind I was relating my squat stance to my throwing stance ( wob, sheaf, Caber). 

I now get I need to be wider, not power lifting wide, but much closer to that.  Squat strength is just squat strength and it will roll over to whatever power you need from the lifting standpoint, regardless.

I think my knees and back are about to do much better.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/30/16 at 8:36am

Came home after left arm biopsy, have a new stitch. Meh whats another scar lol. After all I have been through esp the last year, I am going to petition Myles to be called his Mini Me LOL 

Clean pull. 3x3

Block pull. 3x5. 1x10. Last week of this phase so added a light 10.

Military press. 3x5 1x10
Landmine press. 3x5.
Good mornings. 3x5. 1x10
Coan rows. 3x5

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/02/16 at 1:49pm
Legs

SGHP 3x3
Zercher 3x5 1x10
Goodmorning 3x5 1x10
Calves 3x20

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/03/16 at 12:54pm
Core
Floor press 3x5 1x10
Neutral Grip Pull down 3x5 1x10 I really like how these feel
Landmine press 3x5 1x10
Bis/Tris Because, Duh!

This phase is done. Next phase is 2 days lifting, 2 days drilling for 3 weeks. Then 2 days throwing and 2 days lifting until Tulsa.

It is basically a take on Jim Wendlers 2 day routine, but with an easy strength approach to how the weights are lifted.

The 4 core lifts will be in a 3x5, 3x3, 5-3-2 format.

Week 1: Squat, Floor press are the core lifts, everything else is accessory.
Week 2: Block pull and Military press are the core lifts, everything else is accessory.

It will make sense after a couple weeks.

Now off to Gulf Shores Alabama for a much earned vacation!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/08/16 at 10:40am
Back from Gulf Shores Alabama. Dear God the humidity!  Tomorrow starts new routine, Drill Sat, Thurs, Lift Sun, Wed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/09/16 at 1:17pm
Drilling done, went as expected. Stone = meh. 28 wfd = ugh. Hammer = monkey trying to hump a football

But, I am blessed as I can actually get out with the weights.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/10/16 at 4:42pm

Woke up this morning sore and stiff. Felt like newbie throwing soreness lol.

Today's lifting:
Clean pull 3x3
Military press 3x5
Neutral Grip Pull down 3x8
Floor press 3x8
Bi's Tris

As for Bis I added in a world famous caber curl, made by a world famous caber guy. Should be able to turn all cabers at Tulsa and Mac now that I have added those in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/16 at 12:20pm
07/15/16

Quick workout about 30 min. I need a little more rest in between lol

SGHP. 3x3

Squat * 3x5

Light block pull. 3x8

Good mornings. 3x8

* actually did squats and it went well. Got depth I was looking for. I am so weak I couldn't qualify for a JR High power lifting meet, but work done, progress being made.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/16/16 at 8:25pm
Again no quad soreness after Squatting. Has been that way for a few years now.  I think for several years now I have learned to disengage per say the quads pressing wise to protect the knees and it was stupid to do so. I seem to do everything with the posterior chain (as evidenced by sore posterior vs anterior on Squats)

What I am going to have to do is really concentrate when squatting and throwing to make sure I am pushing hard with the entire leg. Yeah knees are gonna hurt for awhile as things adjust, but that is what Neoprene sleeves, Ice and anti inflammatories are for. I am sure the knees will feel better after a couple months of getting the rust (chondro) off combined with increased muscle putting things in proper tracking alignment.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/17/16 at 5:22pm
Lifting:

I have realized with my right shoulder horizontal press (bench) is just going to be an accessory lift. I really don't care what I bench. just doing work to get work done in that area.

Push press 3x5
Floor press 3x8
NG Pull down 3x8

Bis/ Tri's

Throwing:

Some light stuff with WOB, 28 WFD, 16 hammer, all suckage, but work done.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/20/16 at 7:22pm
Tonight's fun...

First off, it was hotter than two rats humping in a wool sock in the Garage gym. I think I sweated off 5 lbs. Need a bigger fan...

Clean pull 3x3 Moved well. Happy with these

Squats 3x5 snappy. Thanks to Kerry Overfelt for helping me iron out how I am doing these through MacPherson.

Bench 3x5. I was going to make these just an accessory lift until I watched Matt Vincent bench Video. The hand spacing really helped dial these in, so they stay.

Good Mornings. 3x5 Was going too low, not coming up with enough pop, kinda like Steve Pulcinella did them. Well Fixed that, they moved tonight!

1 Leg Work 3x8
Neutral Grip Pull downs 3x8
Push downs 3x8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/21/16 at 3:29pm
After looking at Craigs log and talking with him, I am going with a 14/10 intermittent fast.  10AM to 8Pm Max for an eating time frame.

As I said I hate veggies, minus a couple, but it will be a lot tighter than it has been. 205.6 this morning, can stand to literally lose 12-15lbs fat still, but that will be offset with the muscle I am adding.  I want to weigh about 198 solid with no problems in Tulsa Sept 17-18. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/22/16 at 8:36am
Hammers last night, total crap.  I feel like I am fighting it and I cant get fluid at all. I don't feel the catch and push.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/23/16 at 9:04pm
I really need to get a bigger fan for the garage 103 is stupid hot.

Close grip snatch.    3x3. Too heavy on last rep...noted.

Block pull.   3x5. These went freaking amazing. Pulled more than I thought I would, but still with power and could have got 7 reps easy on last set.

Push press: again better then expected 3x5

Rows: 3x8. Better than expected

Bis

Great workout, best one yet.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/24/16 at 8:18pm
Tonight was some throwing.

Light stone to just drill Braemar with. Not bad.

Some 1 turn drills, a few actual throws. Upgraded from suckage to not good...so some improvement.

16 # hammer. Much better than the other day. On the 1-10 suckage scale they are down from 23 to about 12, so again improvement.

Everything felt better overall, but a long way to go.

I know that right now I am thinking front squat is going to be my main squat this off-season.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Randell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/25/16 at 8:32am

Started late last week, only eating between 10am - 8pm, much easier than I thought. Holding to 2500-2700 cals per day as I want to rip as much fat off while gaining muscle back through October.

Meat and Eggs, Maybe some oatmeal, at 10. Lunch (meat and carbs) at about 1:00. Workout days a shake at 3:30, non workout days at 4:00. Light dinner with lots of protein.

Making sure at work I get 80 oz water.

Weight yesterday 205.7, less than 8 weeks to Tulsa! I am excited, but more nervous for a game than I have ever been for some reason.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic