FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Squat depth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Squat depth
    Posted: 2/08/15 at 3:12pm
A question I asked on FB.

How important is getting to parallel or lower as it relates to throws? Or is adding more weight to the bar and sacrificing a little depth better?

It's something that's been on my mind for a while.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 3:59pm
I think depth > weight, from a general strength and athletic stand point.  

I suppose you could really argue specificity and determine you don't need to bend your knees any further than you do in any give throw/game situation.  That seems like a pretty short sighted approach imo.  

Be strong throughout a FULL range of motion and your body and athletics will thank you for it.  

I wonder if this is in reference to a recent sky high squat video I saw from a HG athlete?   
Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 4:35pm
It is, but I've seen plenty of it lately.

Most have said to go low if you can, but there could be a place for both. I wonder if mixing a high box tap and go with 30-50 more lbs every 3-4 weeks could be beneficial.

Perhaps it's just classic overthinking lol.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 4:43pm
I think Gene Flynn said this (paraphrasing) in his log a few years back (and yes, Craig,I could go back and look but I'm lazy): 

I don't throw any further squatting 600 pounds than I did when I squatted 500 pounds so I'm not going to worry about going any higher and focus on volume/speed

Now this has nothing to do with squat depth but IMO if you're squatting decent amounts of weight and making improvements, I'd stick with what you're doing. I know you're close to 500 pounds @ 250ish pounds of BW which is great. If you were someone like me who doesn't squat near enough for their BW, it could be something to consider to add #s to squat. 

I think speed/technique have more effect on the distance of your throws than poundage in the weight room WITHIN REASON obviously lol

Cant tell if I went down a separate rabbit hole but oh well, I like a good thread. 

Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I think depth > weight, from a general strength and athletic stand point.  

I suppose you could really argue specificity and determine you don't need to bend your knees any further than you do in any give throw/game situation.  That seems like a pretty short sighted approach imo.  

Be strong throughout a FULL range of motion and your body and athletics will thank you for it.  

I wonder if this is in reference to a recent sky high squat video I saw from a HG athlete?   

I totally broke 90. Haters.
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Nathan Parker Nathan Parker wrote:

Perhaps it's just classic overthinking lol.

Originally posted by Duncan McCallum Duncan McCallum wrote:

I totally broke 90. Haters.

rob meulenberg View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

This thread is worthless without pics (or vids).
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 6:30pm
To be fair, he is dealing with nagging stuff. He is a usually in the below parallel club.

Assuming we're talking about the same guy.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 8:19pm
I just saw the video, I didn't see any context, comments, or commentary, so he could have very well said, "here's my high squat", and I wouldn't have known.  
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/08/15 at 8:35pm
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 8:15am
I've been reading up on John Smith and his view on squats. Given the power and success of his throwers, it's worth looking into. Here's a great post that Peter did in '08 about it. As with any training, find what works best for you. 

jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:25am
That's interesting . I love SSB squats but I've always found that my max back squat is significantly more than my SSB due to the upright posture the specialty bar demands. He says in that article that you should be able to handle. upwards of 130% of your max back squat with the SSB bar. Maybe I'm doing them wrong?
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:37am
Jon, I think he is probably talking about the way SSB squats were originally meant to be done.  That is holding onto a rack or something and using that to help you during the squat.  This indeed makes it easier.  The way most of us use the bar now makes the lift substantially harder than a low or high bar back squat.
www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:38am
That was a good read Dan.  Thanks!

I've never done a saftey squat before.  Neither gym I go to has one.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:42am
I just googled "Fred Hatfield SSB" (he was one of the first people use the bar), and the first video hit was our very own Sean Urquhart.  This is way they were originally meant to be done.

www.sportkilt.com
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:48am
I think Sean would agree that these are much easier than back squats.  Also, lol at whoever gave this video a thumbs down.
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 9:52am
What's the point in a 500lb squat if you can't move 225 at 1m/s? How will that translate into athleticism?

If you want to throw far, then throw a lot. I've squatted 400 and I've squatted 600 and at no point as the 56 ever felt lighter because I squatted heavier.

My WFD series in Estes was the best series I've ever had with 48'8 and a foul at 93'11 with 3 marked over 89ft.

My training leading up? Squat up to a heavy single for one set followed by paused squats in the 50% range. Then very light jump squats in the 25-35% range supersetted with broad jumps. On top of that my conditioning day had light (175lb) high rep jerks and front squats in it. My best throws are when I'm working submax weights and moving fast as shit.
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:01am
Jake, that's a strawman.  No one is talking about speed.  I would find it shocking that a legit 500# squatter couldn't move 225 with a lot of speed.

It's been debated on this site very often about the importance of strength.  I think the general consensus (at least form what I've read) is that technique trumps strength until your technique is good enough that strength matters.

You are an extremely technically sound thrower who is also strong.  Now just because you have training cycles where you are training lighter and throwing far doesn't mean that is the only reason you threw farther.  I would bet there are times you threw far when you were training heavy too.

www.sportkilt.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:15am
I agree that strength is important, but how important?

At what point do you realize that you're strong enough to throw far as shit and all that really matters now is length of time of application of force and the speed of which you're able to produce that force?

If you're squatting 500lbs, imo, you're strong enough to throw the weights and hammers in the top 10%. I can't speak for stones, we all know how that goes, amirite Craig? #no55in2015

In contrast, if you want to turn big cabers, I think you have to squat at least 1,300lbs

fml
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:28am
Originally posted by rob meulenberg rob meulenberg wrote:

Jon, I think he is probably talking about the way SSB squats were originally meant to be done.  That is holding onto a rack or something and using that to help you during the squat.  This indeed makes it easier.  The way most of us use the bar now makes the lift substantially harder than a low or high bar back squat.

Interesting.. Thank You.
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:32am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

At what point do you realize that you're strong enough to throw far as shit and all that really matters now is length of time of application of force and the speed of which you're able to produce that force?

^^ This. Granted I'm still a rookie at this stuff but I actually found last year that as the season went on and I threw more my throws got better even as my strength dropped.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:33am

I agree that strength is important, but how important?

I've said it on here a bunch.  There is 'strong' and there is 'strong enough to throw far', and they are not the same thing. 

There's probably a basal strength level to throw far that's generally accepted by all of us, with a few variations here and there for individuality and anthropometry.  I know for me what those numbers are, and I suspect anyone who's been throwing for a while knows what they are for them.     

If your goal is to be the best thrower and throw as far as you can, I hope it's realized pretty early.  I see cases of classic overthinking though time and time again.  It's so silly simple to get strong, and takes such basic movements, yet people want to complicate it all the time, but I digress...

If you're squatting 500lbs, imo, you're strong enough to throw the weights and hammers in the top 10%. I can't speak for stones, we all know how that goes, amirite Craig? #no55in2015

lol, there is that pesky technique factor regarding some throws. 

In contrast, if you want to turn big cabers, I think you have to squat at least 1,300lbs

This sounds about right. 

Caber and WOB are really the only events that I can tell when my strength levels are down below what I like them to be. 
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob meulenberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 10:47am
Jake, I don't necessarily disagree with you.  "How important is strength"?  Well, like Craig said, it depends.  If you only squat 300# (and you are a bigger guy), then you may need a bit more time in the weight room.  If you squat 500#, you probably have enough strength to do well.

I know that I don't need to get stronger.  My throws were big (for me) last season and I trained very little.  But I like to train, and train heavy, so I do it.

I think Craig's point of overthinking comes into play.  Nate is a pretty strong guy already.  If he squats 495 below parallel or 585 above parallel, would it really make that much of a difference?  Probably not.

It's not rocket science.  I've been pushing myself in the gym hard the last 3 months (hardest I've pushed in the last year) and all my lifts are going up.  Hell, my arms have even grown an inch.  LOL.

www.sportkilt.com
Daniel McKim View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '11

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel McKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 11:03am
It's all interesting, and again, these events are a mix of strength and technique. Technique is the hard part that takes more time than the strength. Jon, in all fairness, your technique got a lot better this summer, too, so don't forget the learning curve you have of just starting out. Granted, you're also super athletic, so you have to take that into account. Not fair.

I am looking at my Tendo as I type this. I will be working with it late in the season this year, as I try to mix strength with bar speed. It will be interesting to see how it works, but I will be using it as part of my "peak" phase coming off a strength phase. Strength AND speed. Will be fun!  
jonhereth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonhereth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Daniel McKim Daniel McKim wrote:

Jon, in all fairness, your technique got a lot better this summer, too, so don't forget the learning curve you have of just starting out.

This is true...

Granted, you're also super athletic, so you have to take that into account. Not fair.

This is exaggerated...

I am looking at my Tendo as I type this. I will be working with it late in the season this year, as I try to mix strength with bar speed. It will be interesting to see how it works, but I will be using it as part of my "peak" phase coming off a strength phase. Strength AND speed. Will be fun!  

This is awesome.. I want to play....
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 1:54pm

Granted, you're also super athletic, so you have to take that into account. Not fair.

This is exaggerated...

You can't fool me Jon.  You are light years ahead of me after my first year, plus you're a strong fella.  I predict a big year for you.

Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
SeanUrq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanUrq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/10/15 at 6:07pm
Yay Rob...I'm famous...kinda-sorta-maybe-probably not.

My SSB "Hatfield" style is much higher than how I've been doing them this off-season. The traditional "Hatfield" style I did 455 x 5 quite easily at a much lower bodyweight and was nowhere near the strength levels I am now in the back squat. This off-season, I chose to swallow my ego and perform SSB Squats with my hands on the bar and my 1 rep max is 455 this way. I did this in hopes that by working my back more to maintain good posture with the SSB, my regular back squat might increase.

So to go along with what Jon had said, I am similar to his situation. My SSB Squat is 455 while my back squat is 490 (hopefully more by the end of the month). 

Does a lighter guy need to have that 500+ squat (or whatever we decide is strong) to throw the 56 with the big guys?

I'm barely 250 on a good day so my feeling is that my added strength may benefit my lack in size to counter the 56. Now I know I still have plenty of work to be done to improve my technique but I can't help but think the strength will allow me to be competitive until I become more technically sound. 
Mean Well, Speak Well, Do Well
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/15 at 8:14am
Originally posted by SeanUrq SeanUrq wrote:

Does a lighter guy need to have that 500+ squat (or whatever we decide is strong) to throw the 56 with the big guys?

I'm barely 250 on a good day so my feeling is that my added strength may benefit my lack in size to counter the 56. Now I know I still have plenty of work to be done to improve my technique but I can't help but think the strength will allow me to be competitive until I become more technically sound. 

The strength will NEVER be a detriment. 

It will not help with the 56 as much as strength + bodyweight would. 

Another 15-25lbs bodyweight would do wonders for you and Nate, consistency-wise.  But not everyone wants to do that, I suppose.   
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/15 at 10:05am

Yay Rob...I'm famous...kinda-sorta-maybe-probably not.

My SSB "Hatfield" style is much higher than how I've been doing them this off-season. The traditional "Hatfield" style I did 455 x 5 quite easily at a much lower bodyweight and was nowhere near the strength levels I am now in the back squat. This off-season, I chose to swallow my ego and perform SSB Squats with my hands on the bar and my 1 rep max is 455 this way. I did this in hopes that by working my back more to maintain good posture with the SSB, my regular back squat might increase.

So to go along with what Jon had said, I am similar to his situation. My SSB Squat is 455 while my back squat is 490 (hopefully more by the end of the month). 

I love those cheaty squats.   They just seem to make you strong all over.  Always seemed to help my pull go up, too.
...Josh
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 2/11/15 at 11:42am

I'm barely 250 on a good day so my feeling is that my added strength may benefit my lack in size to counter the 56.

This makes me ponder what size really achieves..

If your tech is spot on, do you NEED the extra weight to "counter" the 56?

Matty Ice (Doherty) went 44/89 last year and he weighs what? 240? His hammers were also in the 115/145 range as well. Yes, he's extremely technical and he's super twitchy. I'm curious to know what his top end strength levels are at vs top end speed-strength levels.

Hmm.. so it would seem there is also a line between technique and bodyweight similar to the line between technique and strength, yes? If you're throwing the weight correctly, you're getting your feet down and pushing it around vs those that get their feet down and "pull" it into the field. I would guess the pullers are the ones that really need that extra bodyweight.

Common denominator = technique.

Watch videos. Do drills. Throw. Repeat several times per week.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic