Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

For those who use PVC cross bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For those who use PVC cross bar
    Posted: 8/03/14 at 10:46pm
If you use a PVC cross bar, here are two ideas that have been working well for me.

1. take two t-Fittings and make an "h" on each end so that the upright is between the legs of the "h".    This does two things - the cross bar will not be blown in the wind as it will always be next to the upright and the added weight on the end counters come of the flex in the PVC (less sag)

2. They make a 1.5" to 3/4" reducer - fit old hammer handle in the end and fly flags or advertisements.   Did this for the first time this last weekend ... I would recommend gluing the 3/4" conduit into the reducer as the flag fell out twice .. but the reducer did not move. 

Since the crossbar is the focal point, hanging advertising has always been my goal but it can get in the way --- hanging banners outside of the uprights seems like a better solution (well that is if your tie downs are at the top) 

The cross bar is not level as this was during the distance events.  There is always a bit of a sag with PVC but with the "h" ends and the flags, some of that may go away.... Need to do some measuring 
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
greynolds177 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greynolds177 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 7:47am
Saw this at NEWTONMORE HIGHLAND GAMES (SCOTLAND) on Saturday. The WOB set up is a series of 6 inch ledges
A.D.Inverness 1999-present; MWC2006, World Championships 2007, MWC2009 and MWC2014. Organiser of Guinness World Record for Caber Tossing. Scottish Masters International Hall of Fame Inductee 2014.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 8:14am
^^ what does that have to do with Mark's post at all?

Flags/Banners on the outside looks good imo.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 9:16am
Could also do this for maximum banner visibility:

this
McSanta View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McSanta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 5:55pm
A bit beyond my budget or should I say my sponsor's budget!!  Never-the-less a very very cool back drop!
Mark McVey

"The work of science is to substitute facts for appearances and demonstrations for impressions." -John Ruskin
cabeyer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabeyer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/26/18 at 6:38am
I need to build the height poles for tossing the sheath and other height events at Highland Games in NJ on October 13. Where do I get plans and instructions so I can build it?

Chris - American Highlander Kilts
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic