Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

5/3/1 for Highland Games

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loftearmen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 5/3/1 for Highland Games
    Posted: 7/13/13 at 8:36am
This is a 5/3/1 variation with emphasis on power movements that I put together on a spreadsheet. Just enter in the date and your training maxes and it will automatically calculate your weights for you.
Add 5lbs per month to each training max with the exception of squat and deadlift to which 10lbs are added per month. uploads/28934/531_for_Highland_Games.xls
Training Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=152633253
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/14/13 at 8:57pm
Loftearmen,

I am on the 5/3/1 programming as well and use this to plan and plot my cycles: 
http://grigaitis.net/5/3/1/
It will let you output the 4 week cycle as a PDF.  I print mine and paste it in my gym log book.

Figured I'd pass it on to you as well.  Welcome aboard.

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/08/13 at 1:29pm
Or you can get Training Lab from Matt Vincent which is specifically programmed from 5-3-1 (he is friends with Jim Wendler) for the Highland athlete including a throwing schedule.
Tim Barber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim Barber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/13 at 9:38pm
I an currently using the Big But Boring 531 workout. But plan to change to a more explosive workout. Instead of doing 5X10 with 50%, for assistance work I will do 8X3 with the same weight, and move the bar as fast as possible. The 531 protocol will remain the same. Hopefully I will be able to still gain strength while still building explosiveness.
Tap,snap or nap It does'nt matter to me.
MAT$O View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
World Champ - '12

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAT$O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/13 at 5:36am
Originally posted by brandell brandell wrote:

Or you can get Training Lab from Matt Vincent which is specifically programmed from 5-3-1 (he is friends with Jim Wendler) for the Highland athlete including a throwing schedule.

That makes far to much sense.  
USPlabs
Conquest Nutrition
SPORT KILT
Clevenger Sheaves

Training LAB ebook "Strength Training for The Highland Games
norkasd View Drop Down
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 10:29am
  My own belief is that you will more carry over to the Scottish Athletic events from training the Olympic Lifts.  5/3/1 will not make you explosive if applied to powerlifts.  The entire periodization method is Russian/Bulgarian methodology.  What bothers me is that Wendler doesn't compete in drug tested meets.  I tend to not take advice from people that won't admit to their drug usage.  I would take advice from Olympic Weightlifting coach Jim Schmitz since he has trained several Olympians subjected to monthly drug testing.  Just because something can write a book or have a web page doesn't mean they know anything of value.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 11:20am
Really? You wouldn't take training advice from a guy who's been in the trenches for over 2+ decades because he took drugs? Wow.

Do yourself a favour, read 531 and Beyond 531. It's simple, brilliant and effective for a ton of stuff. I've been using it as a core for my workouts for over 2 years now. Nothing will make you explosive if not trained explosively. But there's a lot to be said for balls out strong.

For every guy who throws big in HG and credits the olifts, I can find you one who throws big and doesn't use them at all.

Expand your mind. You might learn something.

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by norkasd norkasd wrote:

What bothers me is that Wendler doesn't compete in drug tested meets.  I tend to not take advice from people that won't admit to their drug usage. 

I would take advice from Olympic Weightlifting coach Jim Schmitz since he has trained several Olympians subjected to monthly drug testing.

Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Really? You wouldn't take training advice from a guy who's been in the trenches for over 2+ decades because he took drugs? Wow.

Expand your mind. You might learn something.

For every guy who throws big in HG and credits the olifts, I can find you one who throws big and doesn't use them at all.

Nathan Parker View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Arnold Am........ check. Time to go Pro.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan Parker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 2:50pm
Got to love it when someone raises a thread from the dead just to take a dump on it.

(I would insert clever gif, but me no has gif skillz)
Sport Kilt
JDJ Caber Company
Hylete.com
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 5:46pm
I'm stil not convinced olympic lifts add anything. I've started doing snatches again. I don't feel any more explosive or faster than before. Granted, they're fun, but I just don't see it.

I feel like I get more out of weighted box jumps.
norkasd View Drop Down
Steroid-Free since 1985.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norkasd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/13 at 8:33pm
   I have been lifting weights since 1975, been clean since 1985 when steroids became ILLEGAL and possesion became a FELONY.  One thing the drug users know is that the drugs work.  Dont' even try to tell me what I should read from a felon drug user.  I knew Jerry Jones, knew Ken Patera, lifted with or against Rickey Dale Crain, Jim Cash, Don Blue, Mike MacDonald.  I have read nearly every book on Russian method loading available and even the Russians geared to the loading to the drug cycle of the lifter and the needs of the lifter(ex: needs to drop weight, needs to go up a class, ect.).  Now, any other real stupid comments?
jsully View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Prefers the D...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jsully Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 6:59am

I have been lifting weights since 1975, been clean since 1985 when steroids became ILLEGAL and possesion became a FELONY.  One thing the drug users know is that the drugs work.  Dont' even try to tell me what I should read from a felon drug user.  I knew Jerry Jones, knew Ken Patera, lifted with or against Rickey Dale Crain, Jim Cash, Don Blue, Mike MacDonald.  I have read nearly every book on Russian method loading available and even the Russians geared to the loading to the drug cycle of the lifter and the needs of the lifter(ex: needs to drop weight, needs to go up a class, ect.).  Now, any other real stupid comments?

I'm confused here.. do you actually have anything to contribue to this thread? From what I can tell you just want to bash users because they are below scum and should be on death row with the murderers and rapists. You're very contradictory, I've bolded your quote. Why is it that Wendler needs to burn in hell but the Russians get a free pass?

PS.. Anabolic Steroids were added to the controlled substance list in 1990, not 1985, 2 years after everyones feelings got hurt after a certain Canadian destroyed the US in the 100m @ the Olympics.
PPS.. The term "Felon" is associated with conviction. To my knowledge, Wendler has never been convicted, so to say hie is a Felon drug user is incorrect.
PPPS.. All the juice in the world isn't going to turn a lazy shithead with miserable programming into a star athlete.
PPPPS.. You started lifting weights in 1975. You've been "clean" since 1985 and now bash those that aren't clean. That's like eating steak for 10 years then becoming vegan because of animal rights, then subsequently picket meat plants every chance you can get.

We live in 'Merica. If you don't like the Cool-ade, you don't have to drink it. I'm giong to assume you voted for Obama, are highly supportive of gun control and think federal heathlcare is a godsend.

Political redirection FTW!!
70theelder View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70theelder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 7:17am
Clap
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

I'm confused here.. do you actually have anything to contribue to this thread? From what I can tell you just want to bash users because they are below scum and should be on death row with the murderers and rapists. You're very contradictory, I've bolded your quote. Why is it that Wendler needs to burn in hell but the Russians get a free pass?

PS.. Anabolic Steroids were added to the controlled substance list in 1990, not 1985, 2 years after everyones feelings got hurt after a certain Canadian destroyed the US in the 100m @ the Olympics.
PPS.. The term "Felon" is associated with conviction. To my knowledge, Wendler has never been convicted, so to say hie is a Felon drug user is incorrect.
PPPS.. All the juice in the world isn't going to turn a lazy shithead with miserable programming into a star athlete.
PPPPS.. You started lifting weights in 1975. You've been "clean" since 1985 and now bash those that aren't clean. That's like eating steak for 10 years then becoming vegan because of animal rights, then subsequently picket meat plants every chance you can get.

We live in 'Merica. If you don't like the Cool-ade, you don't have to drink it. I'm giong to assume you voted for Obama, are highly supportive of gun control and think federal heathlcare is a godsend.

Political redirection FTW!!

Clap
Three sets of twenty ought to make you feel strong.
dWood View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dWood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 7:29am
+1 jsully ....this fella seems like a total tool..wendlers stuff is good and he's always been upfront on lots of topics
JUST BRING IT /

SPEED KILLS..BUT STRENGTH PUNISHES
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 7:37am

Now, any other real stupid comments?

Uhm, no. You seem to have them all covered.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 7:37am
Originally posted by jsully jsully wrote:

Now, any other real stupid comments?

Uhm, no. You seem to have them all covered.

TheJeff696 View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheJeff696 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/13 at 11:19am
All Hail the King of Gifs!!
Jeff Kaste

"I think there's a Squatch in these woods..."
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic