Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: jp

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Nah.  That was the declarative "dude," dude.

Heh. Will you and Margaret be at LaCrosse next weekend?

jp
You have to stop doing that Juli, if it worked we'd all be doing it.

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 3:15pm
Nope.  We weren't invited.  
...Josh
Juli Peterson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 5:38pm

Nope.  We weren't invited.  

Awwwww, crap. Sorry. What if we got together in August and threw a little and ate a little (or in your and Matt's case, a lot.) I'll pm you.

jp

tosabarbell.com
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 6:10pm
The 23rd-24th?
...Josh

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 7/30/14 at 8:14pm

The 23rd-24th?

24th. It's a date. Matt expects wine before he puts out. True story.

;) 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/01/14 at 6:47pm
8/1

Deadlift:
Up to 1x5@100Kg

Bench:
Up to 3x10@40

Prowler: 5 laps, nice and easy walk with 20kg added. Nothing hard but felt good to move a bit.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/02/14 at 6:41pm
8/2

Throwing Day

Distance Weights (28, 21, 14)
Worked on making sure my right foot is always turning and a getting a good block out of the release. Good day. Light weight in the high 60's which means I can now throw the light distance further than my average light hammer. LeSigh.

Heaviers were fine. Push, push, push. 

Light Hammer
More of the same. I need a hammer intervention of sorts. "Juli, I feel disappointed when you throw the hammer. Please accept this help." 

WOB:
28 & 21. Worked on what I used to do and found a good groove with the 21. Then just grabbed the weight and threw over, and over, and over again, and again, and again... No time to think, just do. This is how I'll approach it. Just do. No think. 

*Post throwing beerz & cheese curds. I really do heart Wisconsin.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/04/14 at 12:49pm
8/4

*All lifts here on out will be DE style. Light and snappy. If the bar slows down, I lower the weight or the reps or both. I'm still keeping an eye on my right knee, it's not good but it's not worse. Squatting and deadlifting help.

Squat:
Up to 5x3@60kg

Press:
Up to 3x5@35

Med Ball braemar throws. My focus this month on the stones and hammer will be to stay as loose as I can and let my body move instead of tightening up so much. Staying loose while trying to be explosive at the end is counterintuitive but what I'm doing now isn't working.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/05/14 at 4:12pm
8/5

Pre-games Throw (2 ea)

Sheaf: made the 10#r go over the street light post. That was thrilling.
Stones: Moar relax, moar legs. Still need moar better finish.
Hammer: Moar of the same.
Distance: If I could apply what I do here to stones (relax, block, hips, speed) it'd be disco. 
WOB: Out of three, didn't finish one. FINISH and should be fine. 

Wisconsin State Games this weekend where I get to throw with K-Tron; Candice ManncaniWorldRecordanothersheaftoss; Jessica Rabbit & Topaz. Sooooo, fighting for fourth.

jp

Edited by Juli Peterson - 8/06/14 at 9:17am

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/07/14 at 11:27am
8/6

Deadlift:
Up to 3x3@75kg

Bench:
Up to 3x5@50

Stone footwork drills. If I don't turn my right foot, my right knee gets angry. The good news is that I have instant feedback on when I don't turn. The bad news is that I have a pissed off knee. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/14 at 11:39am
8/9

Wisconsin State Games, LaCrosse Wiz

Open Stone (8# some oz's): 31.5" Better. Stayed putt. B'Hare noticed something I was doing that was counterproductive to throwing it further and gave me some good things to work on. 4th 

HWD (28): 34.7" Not bad. Tried to move faster after the first turn and hooked my last throw but it felt good and will practice more speed in the coming weeks. 1st

LWD: 62'4 Not bad. Throwing further in practice but consistent on games day is good. Again, more speed. 1st

Sheaf (10#): 16, 18, 20 just fine. Solid. Blew chunks on 22. Keep practicing. Hitting 20 solidly the past few games is good. Improving. 4th 

Caber: I think about 16' & 70#. Didn't turn. I need practice; how to recover if going south certain ways, etc. Will do that next weekend down in Rockford. Dunno where I finished here. Prolly last.

WOB (28): Came in earlier at 11. This and 12' were just fine. Nerves kicked in but hit 13 on the 3rd try and 14' on the 3rd try. I'll take it. Need to build some confidence here and hitting them both on the 3rd try is doing that. After watching K-Tron on her 15' throws, I noticed how long she stays with the weight. I did that on my last 15' attempt and came closer than I ever have so will work on that in the future. 3rd.

Overall 3rd place which was a happy surprise. Two 1st's helped out a lot. 

I can't be thankful enough for Brian and Jessica, Katie and Luke, and Candice for quick coaching cues that were not only helpful throughout the day but gives me something to practice the next few weeks. I am incredibly fortunate to watch and learn from all of them. They keep things simple and then display exactly what they are talking about. 

But mostly my heart swells for those Clevenger peoples. Jason & Jane are complete treasures and continue to take great care of all the athletes while keeping the day zipping along while having all the fun there is. And the Chicago Bears sheaf bag...it's awesome. Thank you, we heart you. Thanks to Mrs. Smith for making and gifting our Games Banners. It's my favorite Games prize. When you get a hug from Mrs. Smith it's like getting a hug from your grandma, best friend, and a chocolate chip cookie. There are few hugs in the world that can do that. 

Will head down to Rockford next weekend and get some more Caber practice in with Jason's crew.

Next up: Throwing for the Cure Games in Cherry Valley. This is a fun one and Jason has added a women's Masters class so I won't be throwing in the group with women as much as 24 years younger than me. Thank dogs.

jp

Edited by Juli Peterson - 8/10/14 at 2:03pm

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/11/14 at 11:57am
8/11

Squat:
Up to 5x3@65kg

Press:
Up to 3x5@40

Standing throws w/15# med ball. Focus on right side push. 10 of 'em.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/14 at 1:28pm
8/13

Throwing

Stones: All standing. 3 at a time. Working right hip/shoulder push. Here and there good throws. Need consistency and numbers should improve.

Hammer: One wind and release. These were going almost as far as my 3 winds. My goal is to relax, stay long and get a nice hip push out of the release. It's coming. Slowly.

Hula class tonight. FoShizzle.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 2:03pm
8/14

Muscle Snatch (left heel planterfash means I need to be creative while doing some zippy lifts.)
Up to 5 singles at 55kg

Snatch Grip DL:
Up to 1@100kg

Bench:
Up to 3x5@55kg

Going to take the hammer out and throw a bit. Get in some more release practice and then just throw the damn thing. Stop thinking so much. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/14 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

8/14

Going to take the hammer out and throw a bit. Get in some more release practice and then just throw the damn thing. Stop thinking so much. 

**Hammer throwing went very good (and I never say that.) Kept arms long, stayed loose, and toss'd a bunch of one winds in the mid to high 70's range. All north of current PR. Felt bold so practiced two winds and release. Had some nice throws around 80' and I'll take it. Got greedy, did two 3 winds and release and resorted back to old ways. Did one more one and two wind and called it a day. When I get tired I pull my arms back in. So noted.

Stoked.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/14 at 9:52am
8/16

Clean High Pulls (staying away from jumping too much on my heel)
Up to 65 x 8

Jerk Supports (cuz it's fun)
Up to 1x5@225#

*Heading down to Rockford for some throwing practice with Jason & the gang. Will focus on Caber but will toss around other stuff. I'm very thankful to him for dragging out the logs for practice. Very.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/14 at 2:52pm
8/18

Games Week

Squat:
Up to 3x2@55kg

Press:
Up to 3x2@30kg

Throwing:
Stones - just keep working
Hammer - just stay loose. Last throw was a doosie. I may even start liking this event. We'll see.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/14 at 2:55pm
8/19

Throwing

Distance: took all three out and did 3, 2, 1 of each. Working on timing and getting my hips around faster in the second turn. 

Hammer: 2 of each 1 wind and release, 2 and 3. Not as good as yesterday but I kept things moving pretty steady so ran out of gas.

Tomorrow a few light pulls and bench and rest in prep for Saturday.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/20/14 at 11:08am
8/20

DL: up to 3x2@85

Bench: up to 3x2@40

Will do some footwork drills later.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/23/14 at 11:35pm
8/23

Throwing for a Cure, Cherry Valley IL

*This is the second year we've made it to Clevengers ginormous fund raiser. Last year we boiled in the sun, thank goodness we didn't this year. Pouring rain with lightening and big boom thunder started us out in small mud ponds. I'm pretty sure I have trench foot. Goodie.

WOB (21#): 16', missed 17'1" in various fashion. I'll take the 16. WOB is still gaining momentum. 

LHammer: Low 70's. We were only taking two turns on the rest of our throws since we were so far behind due to rain. Hammer sucked, it was the rains fault. heh

Open Stone (8.14): 26. Muddy, wet, slippy, blah blah. The happy news is I got some excellent coaching from some of the ladies and will drill, drill, drill for the next three weeks.

HWD (21): I think 40 or 42. Low but muddy and I was extremely tentative here. I wasn't interested in slipping in the mud. 

LWD: 60'-something I think. Again, mud.

Caber: Good picks, I guess I was going uphill as I pulled for a turn. That didn't work out well. Didn't turn. Closer, but no cigar. 

Sheaf: Missed 19 in various fashion with our 10# bag plus gawds know how much more water weight it held. I was tired by this time.

Overall, a good day in spite of the downpour. WOB practice was helpful to build the confidence. Caber practice was very good. Stone coaching was awesome and watching two former d1 throwers launch the Hammer was helpful in what I need to do moving forward. We had a great crew and Jason and Jane did awesome in trying to keep us moving in spite of the weather. OH! We got to unload in the rain too. NICE!

OH! The goodbye hugs to a few along with the, "See ya in Scotland" was very , very cool. 

Rarely in all of my days have I needed a shower more than right meow. 

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/25/14 at 2:04pm
8/25

Squat:
Up to 3x2@60kg

Power Clean & Jerk:
up to 5@55kg of Pull to Hang, hang clean, pull from the floor and jerk

Will do some stone footwork drills when it dries out around here.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/27/14 at 12:54pm
8/26

Pre-Games Throws

A couple attempts with each. Stones were okay, still missing something. Distance fine, relax goes further. Hammer had much better releases but they were flat. Hoping to get a good pointer this weekend to fix that. Felt good though. Had a chance to practice with the caber in the morning. It's an easy one but still good to walk around with it.

8/27

Stone drills and yard tosses. Staying back longer, that seems helpful. Again, hopefully will get a good pointer this weekend to practice the last week prior to Scotland.

Will do a few light pulls tomorrow just to stretch the hammies and enjoy this weekend in Waukesha. We have an amazing class of throwers and, IMO, some of the best women in the Midwest attending. Pretty cool.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/30/14 at 9:36pm
8/30

Wisconsin Scottish Games (Waukesha)

We had, what I believe, to be one of the strongest fields in the upper Midwest at a moderate profile Games. It was a huge treat to be throwing in one group with these guys and ladies. Of course this is a special Games for me as my first Games ever was here two years ago. The rain wasn't helpful to run a full Games so we did what we could. Thanks to RJ and his helpers and Jeff Armstrong who judged our Ladies caber toss' while RJ dealt with other field issues. 

As for throwing, it was an up and down day. I think I was still a bit fatigued from throwing in the pouring rain last weekend so I'll keep that in mind this week and treat it as a huge deload prior to travel and throwing in Scotland. Like Craig said, I'm ready; I know what I need to do; go have fun. Heh.

Braemar (12+): 26'11.5" My goal for the day was 27 so I'll take it. Felt good.
Open (8+): Struggled with this, I don't know what my "high" throw was. They were all miserable.
HWD (28): 34'6. Okay. My goal for the day was 36. 

**Rain delay plus hour+ for lunch. 

LWD: 61+ I struggled with this today. I tried to do something different and will go back to what I'm comfortable with. Now isn't the time to switch up my form. Throwing in the mid to high 60's will have to do. It may not look like what others want but frankly that's not my problem.

*Skipped heavy hammer due to rain delay. This was kind of a bummer because our "heavy" at these games is the 12# and that's what I need practice with. As much fun as throwing an ultra light 8# hammer is, it has no carry over to any other Games. That said,

Ultra Light Hammer (8+#): 94'3 My goal was 95' so I'll take it. 

Caber (17', don't know how heavy.) I have yet to turn this caber. The good news is that I'll be able to practice with it this week. 

Moar rain delay. At this point, I guess the powers that be decided to call the Games for the day. We skipped WOB but a few of us gals threw it after packing up since the sun was back out. It was a great way to end the day.

The biggest thing I learned is that I'm a bit tired and I need to hear that. I tweaked my hip doing lawn work this week; my heel is still not good and I'm just tired. I'll do squats and pulls and a little light pressing cuz it makes me feel good. I'll dial in some throws but keep every session under 10 toss'. Food is dialed in; lots o water; good sleep. Giddyup!

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/02/14 at 6:57pm
9/1

Met up with Brian and Jessica Hare in Minnesnowta for a very chill throwing session. We only worked stone and hammer. More stone throws and only a few hammer. 

They gave me 2 easy things to remember and practice on stone and one on hammer that should pay off hopefully with an extra foot here or there. We'll see. 

Thanks Roadwarrior and Jessica Rabbit!! I'm very appreciative of you guys helping me even though you were tired from two days of throwing here in Waukesha.

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/03/14 at 12:26pm
9/3

Squat:
Up to 1@100Kg

Press:
Up to 1@55

Throw:
Stone - 5 Standing 5 glide
Hammer - 3 Light, 2 Heavy

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/04/14 at 5:06pm
9/4

Caber & Hammer

Lot's O Caber, only a couple hammer.

The good news is that our first day of competition events in Scotland are Caber and Hammer so I get those out of the way. The bad news is the first day includes my worst events. Der.

I whill say that I'm incredibly appreciative to Richard Jackson for letting me in the storage container to play with the Caber. Still haven't turned it but getting practice in and walking around with the smaller one is a huge help. I know he's not on here but I want to put it out there. Thank youTongue

jp

tosabarbell.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/07/14 at 6:54pm
9/6

Went down to Rockford to throw with some folks ala Jason Clevenger. He's da best. Allowed four of us heading over to practice the caber (went much better) and throw a few here and there. Fixed a couple of things on the caber and have a better understanding of a few things. 

The rest of the time I struggled. Truth be told, I don't train well in groups. I'm used to training/throwing on my own and when I hear 3 or 4 things that I'm doing wrong on each toss I get very overwhelmed. Everyone means well, this one's on me. I just don't do well in a group when it''s down to the wire. 

Sooo....

9/7
Took the hammers and a stone out this afternoon. No tape. Just feel it. Make mental notes on what feels good and makes things go further. Relax. Shut it all down and just throw. Feeling much better. Will do the same with the distance weights tomorrow and maybe some light squats and Power Cleans on Tuesday and that's it. 

jp

tosabarbell.com
TomLawrence View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomLawrence Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/15/14 at 7:40am
Good work and big numbers at MWC.  Thumbs Up

Tom
Aim high. Stay hungry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Juli Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/14 at 2:59am
Originally posted by TomLawrence TomLawrence wrote:

Good work and big numbers at MWC.  Thumbs Up

Tom

Thank you Tom! It was grand

MWC2014

Flights went great and felt very good transitioning to Scotland time. My bags are now on their own adventure and luckily I have an extra sweater and dirty field wear so I'll go train this morning with friends in a stinky tank and my kilt. So that's cool.

Day 1: HH, LH, Caber

Hammers were up hill, so that was an added challenge to an already challenging event(s) for me.

HH: 55'6 3rd place
LH: 73'3 1/4" 3rd place

My first light was money but it stuck to me. Overall I'm feeling pretty good. Numbers were rough but had really good winds. My release is off but I feel like I'm closer to getting this hammer thing done.

Caber:
I think our Caber was around 15' and 65# or so but I don't remember exactly. I was first up, goodie. First attempt I turned at 12:07 but I'll take it. Second attempt I played with it too long and just ran out of gas. The taper was perfect but incredibly top heavy. 3rd attempt I turned a 12:00 which was completely thrilling for me. I'm going to take that as a PR as it's the first really challenging log I've turned at 12:00. Couldn't have done it without the advice of Mark Wechter and others. Took 2nd in event.

End of the day in 3rd place which was exactly my goal. Very happy.

Day two:
Stones and Distance

Braemar (13#)- 26'9 1st place
Open (9#) - 29'6 4th place. Struggled here and the 4th place hurt.
LWD - 57'11. 1st place. Nothing was flying so I'll take it.
HWD - 45'5. 1st place. Off my PR but fun setting the WR as this was the first time we've thrown the 21# at Worlds.

Good day. Moved into 2nd. At this point Mona was pretty much unreachable in points so it would come down to WOB for 2nd place between Michaela and I.

Day 3:

WOB (21#): 16'. Second place. Missed 17 in various fashion but I'll take it. I was incredibly nervous for this one. Again, Mark Wechter to the rescue and I'm so thankful for it. Going for the tie of the WR after Mona hit 17 was an amazing experience which pretty much just sums up the whole event.

2nd overall. Absolutely stoked. It was one of the most thrilling experiences I've had in sport and I'm so thankful.

Off today to train with some Strongman friends (in a dirty kilt and all) and enjoy outside London with them before heading home Thursday. Hopefully my luggage will come with me. We'll see

Cherrio!

jp

tosabarbell.com
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/16/14 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Juli Peterson Juli Peterson wrote:

2nd overall. Absolutely stoked. It was one of the most thrilling experiences I've had in sport and I'm so thankful.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1112131415 17>
  Share Topic