Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Wullie Falconer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Training Log: Wullie Falconer
    Posted: 10/03/12 at 6:15am

I thought I would get a training log up to give some folk an idea of how one of the average throwers in Scotland does his training.

I have trained mostly for the Shot over the last umpteen years and been gamesing it for about 6 or 7 solidly now but done the games since I was about 17. The last couple of years has been tricky with training with kids, house and work but hopefully over this winter I can get some decent shape back and start progressing a bit again.

P.B's from my lifts and throws (lifts inkg and throws in a mix depending on best throw)

Bench: 180
BS: 280
DL: 260
Clean: 137.5
Snatch: 95
FS: 190

16lb Shot: 15.18 grass, 15.35 concrete
22lb Shot: 40ft (cant remember exact distance)
28lb WFD: 72ft
56lb WFD: 35ft
16lb Hammer: 34.84
22lb Hammer: 92ft
WOB: 13ft 6i

Bodyweight at the moment is about 280lb

I start back my training this coming Monday so will mainly be some testing and then conditioning works. My main aim is to get quicker and stronger in the core. Theres a reason I am called Captain Slow.

Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.
Mr. Natural View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Top 10 in the USA - '02-'08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Natural Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/03/12 at 8:40am
Hey Willie!
Dave Barron
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/08/12 at 3:23pm
First session of the winter. Aim was to get loose and get a bit of fitness work done.

Two laps of track and dynamic stretch.

Around 15 to 20 standing throws to get a feel again. Felt okay but I need to get some longer sessions in and work the technique more.

2x4x80m sprints walk balk recovery and a lap jog warm down. Knackered but felt good.

Tomorrow will be more fitness and lifting testing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/12 at 4:40pm
Tueday Session.

The big problem I have is that I need to finish work sharp, get to gym sharp get a good session in, and get home sharp  to get the wee one to sleep.

Started off with some standing shot balance drills with an Z bar to get some feeling back in the legs for the event.

Tested for Clean tonight. 5@60 3@80 3@90 2@100 1@110 1@115kg I really need to get this back up towards 130-140.

3 sets of 1 min clean/press/press behind neck witha 20kg bar

4 sets of 10 overhead squat with 20kg bar.

Various med ball throws against wall 2 sets.

Bodyweight sitting at 19st 6lb (272lb) aiming to get down to 18st 7lb (258) with a long term of 18st.

Testing for the squat/bench on Thursday provided I can get away from work sharp.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/12 at 5:07pm
Sucks balancing work, training and family, don't it? :)

Lookin good so far.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/12 at 5:13pm
The problem with working in Electricity Transmission is that if something goes wrong I need to stay and fix it. Your right Sean, it is very difficult getting the balance right and I dont think I have done got that yet.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/10/12 at 5:21pm
Ahaha! I'm a Substation Engineer myself. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with Distribution level stuff. You guys get way busier.

UNfortunately, when my stuff goes wrong, I can dump whole 240kV lines and get a whole new world of attention on myself :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/12 at 5:39am
I work same kind of voltage levels as you Sean. I work on 132/275/400kV in UK. We are busy as hell at the moment.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/12 at 8:12am
You guys dealing with a massive requirement for more generation and transmission-level infrastructure too? I think we've upgraded damn near every protection system we have so far. Well, primary protection anyway.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/12 at 8:36am
Just out of curiousity, at about what age did most of these PRs take place?  What might have been your best numbers from the past year or so?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/11/12 at 3:17pm
Pingleton from memory.

Bench: 180 (2011) Best last year 160
BS: 280 (2005) best of 240 Last year
DL: 260 (2012)
Clean: 137.5 (2005) 125 last year
Snatch: 95 (2005) 85kg last year
FS: 190 (2007) not done any last couple of years

Mid twenties was my fittest and strongest time.

16lb Shot: 15.18 grass (2007), 15.35 concrete  (2005) 48ft this year
22lb Shot: 40ft (cant remember exact distance) (2005/6?) 38ft this year
28lb WFD: 72ft (2011) 69ft this year
56lb WFD: 35ft (2011) 33ft this year
16lb Hammer: 34.84 (2009) 112ft this year
22lb Hammer: 92ft (2011) 85ft this year
WOB: 13ft 6i (2010) 13ft this year

To be honest the last couple of years has been a bit fractured in structured training via work commitments, no real steady program etc. Aim this year is to get some structure back into the training and hopefully that will see some semblance of getting back to my mid twenties levels.

Todays training.

Shot standing throw variations looked for extension in the legs, trying to avoid shifting and lifting and have a solid left side, felt pretty good didnt have any supports on and didnt really notice it. Some circuits working a minute on minute and a half off doing sit ups and press with 10kg med ball (30 reps), squats with 10kg med ball (35 reps), press ups (26 reps), step ups (60, 30 left leading 30 right leading), side to sides with 10kg med ball (54 reps) and putt into ground witha 3kg med ball (50, 25 a side). I think I will need to incorporate this into the Monday session before the sprints or try and find somewhere during the week in the daytime and do it at that time.

Didnt leave work till slightly later and weather bad and motorway so jam packed I had to turn off and go to an alternative venue to get back home to put the daughter into bed. Sometimes family commitments take over.

Sean

There is parts of our system using 60 year old equipment and we starting a major phase of refurbishment over the next 10 years. I am in the middle of replacing one of the subs. We built the new sub and have started transferring circuits over. Due to commission the fourth circuit out of eight into the new one tomorrow. Been on the project 2 years now. The old sub is coming down for the commonwealth games athletes village.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/12 at 9:37am
Various med ball against the wall2k and 6k med balls mainly standing shot style. About eighty throws in total both sides included.

Zed bar with 5k a side and 7.5kg dumbell doing standing putt drills and half turn drills. Balance and right sequence of movement key.

Deadlift test

10@60 overhand straight leg
5@100 overhand straight leg
3@140 conventional
3@180 conventional
2@200 conventional
1@220 conventional

Bench testing

5@60
5@100
3@120
2@130
3@140
1@150 
felt easy no spotters though

Back squat

5@60
5@100
3@140
3@160
2@180
1@200 
Conclusion legs weak as piss at the moment

Body weight 

19st 6lb (272lb)

Going to get a program sorted out for the winter. Strength endurance and pyramids to start with.
stormer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/12 at 12:40pm
Nice lifts wullie , better to go hand over hand on dead lifts to protect your lower back torquing .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/13/12 at 3:02pm
There will be more to come. It's the cleans and snatches that I want to get up more. I'll need to get some supplementary lifts in the mix too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/14/12 at 3:54am
Lifting for next 6 weeks

3x8 each lift @70% for two weeks tue and thu
4x8 each lift @ 70% for two weeks tue and thu
4x10 each lift @ 70% for two weeks tue and thu

Clean 80
Bench 105
Squat 140

Rest between sets 2 mins
Rest between exercises 5 mins

Weekend pyramid

1x10@60%
1x6@70%
1x4@80%
1x3@85%
1x2@90%

Clean 70,80,92.5,97.5,105
Squat 120,140,160,170,180
Dead 132.5,155,175,187.5,197.5

The weekend weight levels alter depending if I feel I can push it a bit more as I get fitter.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/16/12 at 1:28pm
Well there was supposed to be sprinting last night and lifting tonight but work has been busy as hell as I had to get contractors started to dismantle the oldest transmission line in Glasgow for the commonwealth games and the future king of Scotland (hmmm) Alex salmond is giving a personal inspection along with my big big boss.

Anyway,

I managed to get some throwing in this evening. Mainly standing putts of various types to work on getting everything firing in the right order with some full throws to finish. For this time of year it felt pretty good indeed. I'll need toget some videos on it to get a closer lok at what I am actually doing. Hopefully I can get lifting on Thursday.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/18/12 at 2:27pm
First proper weights of winter to work back in.

Started off with drills for the shot with ez bar and 7.5 dumbbell worked at various speeds for balance and working core z big more.

3x8@80 clean with the rest as stated in earlier post. Felt good and easy might push a bit more to 85
3x8@105 bench. Felt good but I have a knack of blowing on this if the rest is too little.
3x8@140 squat. Steady and as deep as I can get. Felt good another week and I might push weight up to 150..

3x16 15kg straight arm twists and 3x10 a side 10kg plate hammer twists.

All done in annual over an hour

Body weight still 19st 6lb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/21/12 at 11:49am
Started with shot drills with z bar and dumbbell. Felt pretty good.

Pyramid session on the clean, dead lift and squat.

Clean 10@70kg, 6@80kg, 4@92.5kg, 3@97.5kg, 2@105kg rest of about two to three minutes between sets.
Dead lift 10@132.5kg, 6@155kg, 4@175kg, 3@187.5kg, 2@200kg. Same rest period.
Squat 10@120kg, 6@140kg, 4@160kg, 3@170kg, 2@180kg. Rest same as others.

Light med ball throws onto wall.

2 sets of 20 side to sides with 15 kg plate followed by hammer winds 2 sets 10 a side with 15kg plate.

Pleased with maintaining a discipline with the resting inbetween sets. I think in a few more weeks of the program I can build the weight up more on each set. Clean felt good but I need to improve the speed of the lift. Dead lift and squatting in need to do more of.

Tomorrow us throwing and sprinting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/12 at 2:08pm
Two laps of track to get moving. Felt a lot better than the last time.

Putting session.

30 standing throws of various types followed by 5 half turns and about 10 full throws into net. Stands didn't feel as good as last throws session.
Half turns and full turns focusing mainly on getting full rotation and not reversing too early. Started to get it together at the end of the session.
When I did get full rotation there was no issues staying in.
Need to video the next throw session and see if I am doing what I think I am doing in the throw.

Followed by two sets of four eighty metre sprints at about 75% of full speed with walk back recovery. Felt good and springy on these. Will need to up the intensity more next session.

A steady session but I think the lifting yesterday hindered the throwing today.
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/12 at 6:01pm
Glad to see you logging on here, Wullie!  Now we just need a Nellypower log.  Haha.
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/12 at 2:07pm
Bloody hell beau he's just figured out how to use a computer. Anything of note and I'll fire it up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/23/12 at 2:18pm
Tonight's session was quick as the little one decided that she would like to play between two and five this morning.

Cleans

Warm up at 60kg for four.
3x8@85kg with two min rest inbetween sets. Upped weight and felt better than last week. Technique still a bit ropey I'm on the front if my feet too much.

Five min rest between exercise including set up and warm up of next exercise.

Bench

Warm up at 60kg for three.
3x8@105kg and two mins in between sets. Rest time spot on for this. Tough enough and I am just at the blowout point in the last rep of the set.

Five min rest between exercise.

Squats

Warm up 3@60 and 2@100.
3x8@140 with minute and a half rest inbetween. Dropped the rest in this as the weight was comfortable. I could drop it to a minute but I may up the weight Thursday depending on work situation.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/12 at 2:36pm
Well getting to lift on Thursday didn't happen due to work. The last few mornings I have woken up with my back killing me then after a few hours at work it clears up. I think I need to more stretching on days off. Got down to gym today and done the following:

Shot drills with z bar and dumbells mainly standing and half turn drills. Feeling quite good in the drills working on good right foot rotation and extension over the left at the front.

Done some 28 drills with a 7.5kg dumbbell working foot placement and weight transfer going into second turn as I have a habit of blocking the left and not driving enough in the throw.

Med ball throws against wall.

2 sets of these

20 overhead throws with 5kg ball. 10 left foot forward, 10 right foot forward.
20 2kg med ball discus throws. 10 a side.
20 hammer throws 5kg ball. 10 a side.
20 2kg single arm putts. 10 a side.
20 sit up with a long arm throw and catch.
20 sitting double arm putts against wall.

Tomorrow pyramid lifting with some putting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/27/12 at 10:00am
Pyramid today at scotstoun stadium where I do my Monday sessions. Weights room is good got loads of eleiko weights and entry platforms. The local professional rugby team play here.

Did some standing shot drills with bar and 9kg dumbell. Felt okay nothing special though.

Clean 10@70kg, 6@80kg, 4@92.5kg, 3@97.5kg, 2@105kg rest of about three minutes between sets. Five min rest inbetween exercises.
Dead lift 10@132.5kg, 6@155kg, 4@175kg, 3@187.5kg, 2@200kg. Same rest period.
Squat 10@120kg, 6@140kg, 4@160kg, 3@170kg, 2@180kg. Rest same as others.

Planned to do four or five light sprints on the indoor concourse but legs were heavy. Did ten mins on bike instead.

Weights felt a big better this week. Cleans a bit better but I need to start the lift quicker and get a better pull on it. Dead lifts felt good but very tough. Squats were deep and felt quite comfortable to last couple of sets then it got tough.

I need to do these hard sessions (for me anyway) as I am weak as at the moment.

Monday will be be shot and sprints probably go to three sets on the sprints.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/30/12 at 2:40pm
Missed yesterday sprint and throws due to work. Tonight's session.

Usual shot drills with the z bar and dumbell.

Weights

First week of 4x8

Cleans at 85kg. 2 min rest between sets. Felt a lot better than last year but still think I need to get much more speed of movement at the start and a better pull on the bar.

Bench at 105kg. 2 min rest between sets. First three sets steady and fairly good though last few reps on 3rd set was starting to feel the lactic. 4th set got to six then arms blew. Had a quick rest then got the last two reps in. Just.

Squat at 145kg. Slight increase due to 25 kg bar. Again 2 min rest on sets. First set a bit tough as usual. The last two sets I banged the reps out quick style which is what I want to achieve.

Body weight 19st 7lb slight increase but my eating has been haphazard the last week.

Thursday will look to do the same again and hopefully be able to get the bench done without blowing up.

Just for beau. Nellies bench was this 5@160 5@170 4@180 2@190 1@200 (all kg) three min rest between sets. Raw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/01/12 at 2:23pm
Traffic hellish getting real busy at work again for next week I got to test two HV cables in a week on standby this weekend so might not make training this Saturday. Diego won't be able to make it to training during the week next week. Anyway got sons stuff done tonight.

800m jog (10 lengths of indoor track). Feeling a bit better again.
Good stretching of everything. Lower back is still got very little flexibility.
Various standing putts into net. 25 throws in total still working on solid left side and a full finish. 5 half turns focusing on getting a quick left foot touchdown and constant motion on the right with a high finish.
10 full throws working on constant right foot movement and driving through with a solid left side (which I am not quite getting) was drifting to the left a lot. One of my t and f mates got me thinking of squeezing the knees together when hitting the middle and this seemed to straighten up the throw.

Finished with 4x80m sprints and moderate pace with walk quick walk back recovery.

Satisfying session despite the lack of time to get it in. Feeling positive about the putt. Thinking if doing an open graded 5th December for a marker throw.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/12 at 8:53am
Pyramid session. Last session before my week of hell at work. Upped the weights by 5kg on clean, 7.5kg on dead lift and 10kg with squat. 3 mins rest between sets and about five mins between exercises. I think this rest is about right a few more weeks and I will likely drop it to maybe 2 and a half minutes.

Clean

1x10@75
1x6@85
1x4@97.5
1x3@102.5
1x2@110

Cleans felt reasonably good today got video of last lift in clean. Still need to get the legs moving quicker and probably not pike either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAiFUuitg1g&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Deadlift

1x10@140
1x6@162.5
1x4@182.5
1x3@195
1x2@205

All lifts felt tough but good. Video of last set on link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBK_913g3Hw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Squat

1x10@130 felt easy
1x6@150 again felt easy
1x4@170 tough but comfy
1x3@180 tough but form good
1x2@200 got the depth and felt strong

Might bring the rest of the sets apart from the last one up by 10kg week after next.

All in all a good session and I feel already I am getting some strength back but still a long way to go before I feel I am where I want to be.
Beau Fay View Drop Down
Call me Beauregard.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beau Fay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/12 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Captain Slow Captain Slow wrote:

Just for beau. Nellies bench was this 5@160 5@170 4@180 2@190 1@200 (all kg) three min rest between sets. Raw

Shocked
"Some people like to go out dancing... other people like us, we gotta work." -Lou Reed
Soggy Kilt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soggy Kilt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/08/12 at 9:50am
Hi Wullie,

Those are some nice PB's! the back squat really stands out! Nice vid's too, I have the same t-shirt. 

I was wandering where you are you based in Scotland? 

Also, do you know anywhere I can buy some training equipment from? I've had a search and contacted Pullum to see if they do.

Thanks!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/12 at 2:22am
I am based in Glasgow/Dumbarton. Most of the training is done at the marine craft gym in Dumbarton. The vids I put up were at scotstoun stadium in glasgow where the Glasgow warriors rugby team play and I do my indoor throwing and more 'arhletic' aspect of the training. As for equipment I have never actually had a look. I have heard of pullum and strengthshop.co.uk I have also heard mentioned too.

Anyway back to the diary. Last week has been a non starter due to having to test two high voltage cables which took the full five days plus plenty overtime and I have had a major dose of the runs too. Anyway I got to the gym yesterday and done the following.

Bench

4x8@110 longer rest about three minutes and managed all reps.

Squat

4x8@140 started to feel not that great but reps were good

Clean

3x8@80 felt really tired doing this hence thee sets rather than four.

Good to get back but I need to be fresh for the next session. Body weight I hope is down though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic