Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Training Log: Wullie Falconer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stormer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/11/12 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Beau Fay Beau Fay wrote:

Originally posted by Captain Slow Captain Slow wrote:

Just for beau. Nellies bench was this 5@160 5@170 4@180 2@190 1@200 (all kg) three min rest between sets. Raw

Shocked

That's mighty impressive bench he must bench more than he squats ... Must be standing over 50ft in put with that power?
Captain Slow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/12 at 1:14am
His elbow gives him a bit of bother. Beau has seen his "Shark Bite". He can't get the full hit on the shot just now.
Please, please, please dont f*ck about near or in electricity substations.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/12 at 3:17pm

Sprinting and Throwing Session tonight

Warm up 12 lengths of indoor track 80m = 960m This felt pretty good. Something seems to be going well I used to be blowing a lot doing this.

SHot putt throws.

20-25 stands of differing variations. Need to keep focus on proper movement but it is feeling good compared how I felt at work at end of last week.

Full throws x10

first few to get moving. Still drifting to the left but started to get it sorted and felt really good. Need to get the rest of the traiinign up to scratch and should be good for the start of th indoor season. One of the boys videoed the last throw so should hopefully have it from him soon.

Sprints

6x80m 70% speed quick walk back recovery. Felt pretty good and If it wasn't for the amount of people starting to train when I was doing it I would have done a few more. propably do about 10 next week.

I am thinking of getting some South African drills in purely to get a feeling for throwing at pro games.

looking forward to getting to dumbarton to see what bodyweight is like. I am hoping to surprise myself.

Sprints

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/13/12 at 2:36pm
Had to go to the stadium to do my lifting traffic and weather hellish.

Bench press

4x8@110 two and a half to three mins recovery. First three sets good. Split last set first half good second half fine until the last rep and hit the wall. Plus i made the cardinal sin of not getting a spotter for the last set. I thought I had judged it okay.

Back squat

4x8@150 same rest. First set struggle as always. Rest of the sets quick deep and strong. Squat is starting to come back well

Clean

4x8@90 same rest. Reps feel quick and strongish. Pull needs a bit of work. First third and fourth sets with no belt. First set I forgot to put it on. Didn't affect lift. Need to be continuous with the reps in the sets.

Steady session apart from spotting howler.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 2:20am
Training 15/11/12

Been another busy week at work trying to get things ready for commissioning that I wa doing on yesterday (16/11/12)

Training was at the marinecraft

Bench press

4x8@110 two and a half minutes rest. What a difference two days make. This was far more comfortable than Tuesday's efforts.

Back squat

4x8@150 two mins rest. First set as usual is iffy but last thre sets were very quick, very deep, very easy.

Clean

3x6@90 two mins rest. I think I burned myself out on the squat this was a struggle. I need to get back to doing it in order of clean, bench and squat.

Next week I plan to go to 4x10 for a couple of weeks.

After that I plan to test front squats, jerk press, probably snatch, and build that into a different thursday session

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 2:20am
This weekend down in Bristol for a weekend away at my brothers. I might get to a gym for cardio
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 12:14pm
What is this "cardio" you speak of?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 12:39pm
Bike, rows or cross trainer or all three. Usually cardio might be repeated journeys to the bar.
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 12:44pm

Bike, rows or cross trainer or all three.

Really? For how long each or in total?

Usually cardio might be repeated journeys to the bar.

Ah, well, that sounds about right. Wink

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/12 at 2:21pm
If I am doing the bike maintain about 100rpm for ten to twenty. Cross trainer either as much as I can for ten to twenty or do intervals minute medium and minute fast

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/12 at 4:38pm
Monday night is feel like an athlete night.

Just realised that the indoor straight at scotstoun is 90m rather than the 80m I thought it was. Anyway I did 12 lengths warm up which equates to 1080m some stretching and into the putting.

Standing throws of various types in the region of 25 and full throws about 15. This did not feel good at all the feeling was not there, I felt weak. I am just going to put this one behind me. Done some discus standing throws with a 1.75 felt okay still have my wobble that I have never managed to get rid of.

Sprints was 2x4@90m with walk back recovery. Knees felt sore and didn't have the same endurance I did last week.

3x10each side 10kg hammer twists

Not the best start to the week but I am doing 4x8's tomorrow and get back to clean,benh and squat.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/12 at 4:27pm
Knees feeling a bit tender and was swithering whether to cut reps and start a new block or go for 4x10. I opted for 4x10.

Cleans

4x10@90kg. Rest about two minutes. Much better than Thursday last week. No failures although my stamina needs to improve during the set.

Bench

4x10@110kg. 3 mins rest. First two sets complete. Third set got 8 then last two. Last set 5 reps then 4 and a fail last rep took a very short rest then got last rep out. Brick wall always appears on bench every year. The grip is fairly narrow as pinky is on notch in knurl.the only way I tend to get all reps in all sets us usually with a long rest inbetween but we don't want that.

Back squat

4x10@150kg rest two minutes. First set always tough. Second and third tough and last set was best.

Had to do all this fairly quick as I had to pick up my girls from the airport. Made it just in time.

Thursday will have git hopefully my last commissioning done and get to gym sharp for another 4x10 session.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/26/12 at 1:31pm
Well two sessions missed. One on Thursday due to commissioning going horribly wrong. I set fire (not my fault) to a VT secondary wiring. That was gutting as it was the last of the Circuits I was transferring. Saturday turned out to be much the same had to go into work to supervise the dismantling if an electricity pylon. Tonight had a flyer and it was an early session.

1200m jog warm up. Didn't feel too bad but I think I need a new pair of trainers.

Putting session.

20 stands of various types. 15 full throws. This was much better than last week. Had some decent efforts. I need to get much more throwing in. Hopefully when the new indoor stadium curcle gets passed fit I can get there on my lunch break.

Sprints

1x6x50m with walk back and min recovery.

Not a bad session just need to get my eating in order now. Still eating crap mostly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 3:07pm
Lifting session tonight. Moving onto a new block where I am doing two weeks of 4x6 then 4x5 and then 4x4 with weights working from 80% upwards. Weight increases every week. Will need to get some testing done for an alternative Thursday session. Planning on doing front squat, jerk press and possibly snatch deadlift with shrug and possibly incline dumbell press.

Lifting tonight

Cleans

4x6@100kg First set did not feel that great at all but the other sets were a lot better. When I get the pull right its an easy lift. Need to get that more often and still need to quicken the first phase. Rest between sets about a minute and a half.

Bench

4x6@120kg All four sets complete no failures in the set. Sets of six or less I never seem to blow up. Just need to work these more as I could hardly bench last year due to some issue in the shoulder. Rest about two minutes.

Squat

4x6@160kg First set as usual a slow set but once I got in the groove it was pretty easy. depth was good here also. Rest about a minute and a half.

Pleased with the session it was all over after about 40minutes. I need to keep that intensity up it will only help my fitness.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/27/12 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by stormer stormer wrote:

Originally posted by Beau Fay Beau Fay wrote:

Just for beau. Nellies bench was this 5@160 5@170 4@180 2@190 1@200 (all kg) three min rest between sets. Raw

Shocked

That's mighty impressive bench he must bench more than he squats ... Must be standing over 50ft in put with that power?

He was doing sets up to 250kg tonight with only knee socks and power belt then benched sets of 3 at 180/190/200 with a single at 205 a minute after the last set of three.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/12 at 4:51pm
Was thinking of starting front squat and snatch plus some assistance lift as mentioned on tuesday but I decided to continue with 4x6 on Thursdays also. I am going to continue this until CHristmas.

Clean

Warm up lifts at 60kgx4 and 80kgx4
Main lifts 4x6@100kg. This was much better than Tuesdays efforts I felt a bit sharper in the lift and was catching it higher than Tuesday. Still need to focus in the leg drive and good pull though.

Bench

warm up 60kgx6
Main sets 4x6@120. Felt much stronger on this than Tuesday no failures.

Squat

Using a 25kg bar
warm up 105x2, 145x2
Main sets of 4x6@165. First set much stronger than Tuesdays and the rest of the sets were relatively comfortable.

Next week I up the weight slightly on each. Clean to 102.5, bench to 125 or 127.5 squat to 170 possibly 175.

Also tried doing some basic balance weightlifting exercises with a 20kg bar such as squat then press behind neckj in squat position. Not good at it at all. I think I will try and do more of this to help my general and lifting flexibility.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/12 at 1:54pm
Little bit of a slip on Saturday I had to attend a work day out so it was right hand lifting pints most of the day. Did some ten pin bowling on Sunday though.

Training today

Warm up with light jog, side steps and cross overs along with high knees about 500m worth.

Putting session

15 standing puts with a few reverse at the end. The normal standing put I feel the movement but I have been struggling to get the reverse right the last few years.

15 full throws with increasing intensity. Working mainly on getting a good balance drive and keeping the right moving when I land. The finishing is getting there but I need to stop drifting to the left.

Was going to do a comp on Wednesday but deciding to wait until the 27th to do my first indoor comp. I need to do some sessions for distance to get a true feel for the throw.

Sprints

2x50m strides
2x4x50m sprints at full intensity for me.

All in all a good session. Work is a pain at the moment but hopefully I will get enough time to get more in over the festive period.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/12 at 2:39pm
Lifting session tonight got there a bit earlier so done some extra bits and bobs

10 mins on cross trainer at a good pace.

Shot drills with 7.5kg dumbell felt good done 360's and half turns and trying to get a quick finish.
Some back of trig 28 turns which went okay.

Lifting
Cleans

Warm up 6@50kg, 3@80kg
Main session 4x6@102.5kg with about 2-3 min rest inbetween. Felt okay but I feel I still need to harden up on this lift. I am trying to get a full pull at the start of the lift but I'm not getting a decent enough second pull but it is getting better.

Bench
Warm up. 6@60kg, 6@100kg
Main session, 4x6@125kg. Rest about 3 minutes. All sets felt very strong and 6 reps is a good amount to not blow up. Pushing this up on Thursday on the last two sets to 130 if the first couple of sets feels good.

Squat
Warm up 6@105kg, 3@145kg
Main sets, 1x6@175kg, 3x6@180kg. Bit of a jump compared to last week but 165 was easier than expected. All of the sets were tough but I coped pretty well with it. Depth was quite good too though may try and increase the depth on my next pyramid session. 180 on Thursday to see if I can quicken the reps

All in I think I am starting to turn a corner a little lifting wise but I need to keep the intensity and ensure I get the sessions in and make sure it is not sub standard lifting.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/12 at 1:36pm
Today's session was time limited due to family commitments so only had time for squat and clean. Plus I had about four hours sleep as I was on standby and was out for six hours.

Clean

Warm up
6@60kg
6@80kg
Main sets.4x6@102.5kg. First set was a bit crap failed last rep twice but got it third go. Other three sets were far far better. Still need to get this lift moving and getting under the bar quicker.

Squat

Warm up
3@bar
6@60kg
6@100kg
3@140kg
3x6@180kg
1x3@180kg

Sets were tough and on last set third rep felt my groin give a little pop. I am bloody annoyed with this as the midweek lifting has been good. Luckily this week I cannot lift due to prior commitments so it's stretchy stretchy next few days.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/12 at 1:30pm
Well after my groin pull I decided to take it easy over the weekend. Can still feel its little but it is a lit better now.

Today's training was the following.

A good 20mins stretching all over. I need to do this on days off as I am getting too stiff.

Putting did the following

6 fixed foot stands
4 reverse stands. Need to work these more and get a snappier reverse.
12 full throws. First six didn't feel too bad was drifting to the left too much. Last six worked on trying to drive down the middle and stay in on all six. Which I achieved. Need to improve the cadence and snap at the front.

All in a not bad session time an issue so no sprinting. Tomorrow is a first test on lifting. Going down to 4x5 but squat is down in weight to test the growing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/12 at 1:49pm
First lifting session back after the groin pull. Also forgot my shorts so had to borrow a pair.

Lifting moved down to 4x5 but struggled for time so a set was dropped off tonight.

Cleans

Warm up
Bar x8 from hang
5@50kg full
3@70kg full
2@90kg full
3x5@105kg main sets. These felt pretty goo tonight. No failures and all lifts caught reasonably well. I think I need to work on getting a high pull more on warm up and practice getting under the bar quicker.

Bench
Warm ups
5@70kg
5@110kg
Main sets
1x5@130kg. This felt really easy and quick. Had a small rest then,
1x5@132.5kg. This felt comfortable and quick also, then,
1x5@135kg. A little harder but felt strong.
Bench is definitely coming on well. Considering I couldn't bench last winter I am pleased with it. I reckon I could be good for a 160 to 170 single right now.

Squat

Well this would always have been the true test of the groin. I had 65kg on the bar and done 4 sets of 6. I could feel the groin when I went deep but it was needing a stretch from it. The reps were slow with a pause at the bottom. I need to do a fair amount of stretching and work the movements to get the groin back to normal.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/12 at 1:43pm
The last week has not been good to me at all for training since last Tuesday. First my daughter has been quite ill so had to miss Thursday and she is only getting over things now. I had to work Saturday as we had contractor over from Switzerland sorting out the fault that we had and Monday was the same deal as Saturday. I just about managed to get to Training on Tuesday and done the following.

Tuesday 18th December

4x6@70kg Clean 1 min rest
4x6@50kg Snatch 1 min rest
4x6@70kg Clean then 6 presses

I had about half an hour to get this done hence the reason for the light weight plus I have been coming down with my daughters cold/cough.

Was hoping to get lifting tonight on my birthday. But again was held up at work as I was commissioning the circuit after we finished the repairs. But the big problem tonight wasnt our side but the fact that we need to go through big brother to do anything and they decided to make us wait an hour and a half till we started.

The plus point is that I have pretty much got my work sorted out this year so I have my performance review tomorrow just before lunch then I am shooting off to the gym to get some lifting done before I go to Edinburgh on Saturday with the missus for a weekend away. I also intend to lift on Monday too and possibly do a competition on the 27th.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/12 at 2:14pm
Was hoping to get to training on Thursday after commissioning idiot went to plan I would havegog there but as usual National Grid keeps us waiting and when we get the go ahead it's an hour and a half later. So that scuppered the Thursday plan . However because I got that bit of work done I got a flier on the Friday so trained the this is what I did. My groin has still been a bit tight and also get a new pair of rehabbed knee socks.

10mins cycle machine level 3 and 90 to 100rpm
Various stretching with a pole.

Back squats

Bar 6reps
6@60kg deep as possible
6@80kg deep as possible
6@100kg deep as possible
6@120kg deep as possible

Felt okay but still getting tightness though

Hang clean

6@bar
6@60kg
2x6@80kg
2x6@90kg

Straps used. Felt snappy but I need to work this more.

Standing press with mock log weight of log about 15kg

6@35kg
6@55kg
4x6@75kg
1@85kg
10@55kg
Minutes rest inbetween sets apart from last one.
These felt okay but my pressing strength is quite naff just now.

3@6each arm 20kg dumbell curls to finish.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/27/12 at 11:19am
Merry Christmas everyone.

Had a good Christmas with the wee one and my wife. Lots of presents got opened and for me not a lot of drink except on Christmas eve when the folks stayed overnight. Boxing day we had our family out to ours andiwas on standby so I was dry for the day.

Iwad back to work today which was quite easy and there was an indoor comp on which I was going to do at the new arena in Glasgow. When I got there they had rescheduled the shot and it had started by the time I got there. I then decided that I would go and lift. This is what I did.

Warm up
Plenty stretching and some bar twists about twenty minutes worth.

I decided to test the clean and snatch to see where I am and to get things restarted for the next few months training.

Clean

1x3@60kg
1x3@80kg
1x2@90kg
1x2@100kg
1x1@110kg felt good
1x1@115kg fail
1x1@115kg fail
1x1@115kg got it and was so much better than the other two attempts
1x1@120kg thus was a skoosh I caught it well and no problems finishing the lift
1x1@125kg fail

Snatch

1x4@60kg
1x2@65kg
1x2@70kg
1x1@75kg
2x1@80kg fail

Snatch is my worst lift by far always has been. I need to work on not straightening the legs before the pull of the bar off the ground. I can get it better on the clean but not snatch. I might need to do snatch deadlift to force the legs into the correct movement.

Squat

1x6@25kg bar
1x6@65kg
2x6@85kg

Still feeling the groin. Went and seen robbie our guy in the gym that deals with the injuries. He reckons it is more the adductor that has seen the damage rather than the groin. He reckons to not actively seek to stretch it and work around the lift and see how it Is in a weeks time.

Came back and done some Jane Fonda

3x6 each side 22.5kg dumbell curls
3x8 shoulder press machine with 20kg plates.
3 sets 8 overheads and 8 each side standing shot with 2kg med ball.

Body weight is currently 19st 7lb or 273lbs in US money bit if weight on over the Christmas period but I am still looking at getting to 18st 7lb for the season.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/12 at 3:05pm

Trained at Scotstoun today for te first saturday session since end of November.

Putted

6 stands and 18 full throws. Felt ring rusty but had a couple where it felt not too bad. AIm for next comp on the 19th is to get near to 10 throwing sessions in.

Lifting

As I have hardly lifted after the groin and work etc I decided to test the deadlift and bench.

Deadlift

4@70kg, 10@120kg, 6@140kg, 4@160kg, 3@180kg, 1@200kg, 1 fail at 230kg, then a lift at 230kg this is up 10kg on what I did at start of winter.

Bench Press

4@60kg, 4@100kg, 2@130kg, 1@150kg, 1@165kg. This last one was a tough lift but it went up pretty easily.

Clean

3x5@90kg should have done this to start with as it felt laboured.

Finished off with 10 min on bike machine, 2x10 hyper extensions, 2x24 walking bar twists witha 15kg bar, 40 crunches and 40 chinnees.

Hopefully work wont too busy next few months and I pick the intensity up in training a bit.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/12 at 11:37am

Decided to do a little bit of circuit type stuff in the house to try and improve general fitness and flexibility.

Press ups 12,12,10,8,10 with 30 seconds rest inbetween.

Sit Ups 8,10,6,8,10 normal sit ups with 60 secs inbetween.

Overhead Squats with brush handle, 4x10 .

Overhead squat with behind neck press with brush handle 3x10.

40 crunches, 20 a side side crunches, 40 chinees no rst inbetween.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/12 at 1:06pm
Trained in Dumbarton today and did the following

Shot training

6 360's no implement, 10 360's with z bar, 20 360's with shot.

15 half turns each side with z bar with 5k on one end.

24 stand drills with z bar 12 each side

20 full turn drills

All of
These felt good today felt tighter and more controlled than Saturday.

Med ball

6kg standing with two hands 20 a side

3sets of the following
10 6kg med ball two handed left foot forward
20 (10 a side) 2kg one handed putt against wall.

Lifting
Standing jerks
6@50kg
6@70kg
3@90kg
1@100kg
6@70kg

I used to be a lot better at this my shoulder strength is poor just now going to incorporate this as I a dropping squats due to the groin issue.

Standing alternate dumbell press
22.5kg 10 a side
25kg 10 a side
27.5kg 10 a side

Felt okay nothing special though

Tried the 50kg giant dumbell picked it up easy enough but my shoulders were busted with the med ball and the other shoulder work.

3 x8@50kg tricep pulls

All in all a solid session to finish the year. Got the hunger as one of the boys that is doing the indoors was giving the double talking jive trash talk so gotta teach him a lesson.

Have a goodnew year everyone

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/03/13 at 2:33pm

Bunked off early today and got to Scotstoun to do a throwing and lifting session. After the testing of the last few sessions I am going to be doing 5x5 over the next 8 weeks with two increases in percentage after weeks 3 and 6 so I will be doing 75/80/85% Because of the groin I wont be doing any heavy squats but I will likely bring in some light front squats, jerk press and alternate standing dumbell press to ge the shoulder strength back a bit.

Throwing.

10 standing throws first 8 trying to do full stands minus reverse then last two with the reverse. I started pulling the circle back away from the net once I hit the net.

Done around 20 full throws again gradually pulling the circle back. Full throws were very much hit and miss tonight most throws felt different I was trying different things whcih I probably shouldn't have done and lacked any real power and snap in the throw.

I need to get back to keeping this right foot moving when I am hitting the middle and keep from reversing too early in the throw along with a good extension through the legs and the arm on release. most throws were between 13-14m. Had trouble staying in though which was very annoying. Time to look back at my previous posts and look at wjat i felt I was doing right. A lot of room for improvement. I will be doing my next few weeks sessions at scotstoun to ge tthe throwing in.

Lifting.

Snatch

Bar x6
50kg x3
57.5kg 5x5 minutes rest straps used.

I used the straps as otherwise I dont feel as if I get the pull correct otherwsie. The felt pretty snappy and I am hopefull this will improve over the next few months.

Deadlift

70kg x3
110kg x3
150kg x2
172.5kg 5x5

First set conventional grip and felt good. Used straps on overhand grip and it did not feel right at all I used the back too much so went back to conventional grip and I could feel the back strain as I was doing this presumably because of the use of straps I eckon anyway. rest about 3 minutes but all the lifts felt reasonably strong but not as quick as I would like.

Jerk Press

50kg x6
75kg 3x6

Adding this in as an additional lift to get the shoulders stronger again.

Tuesdays 5x5 is Clean/Bench Press and standing dumbell press and possibly dumbell snatch.

Monday next week I am participating in a weight loss drive with work but I am looking at getting to this darned 18 stone if I can. I will use this weigh in next week as my normal scales and post it on here. I have a feeling I am heavier than I think.

Rest day tomorrow but I will be doing a lot of walking about on survey works and back to scotstoun on saturday for throwing and pyramid clean/snatch/deadlift.

I will be doing 1x8@70%, 1x4@80%, 1x3@85%, 2x2@90%

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/05/13 at 3:01pm
Well todays training was to be at scotstoun which I went to.

Started to warm up a little bit for the shot and my lower right back which has never been quite right since i pulled it at Taynuilt a year or so ago flared up while putting. in addition I had no speed or power going through the shot even stands. I tried a couple of full throws and these were truly gash.

The lifting I was planning on doing a pyramid of snatch clean and deadlift. Got the snatch done okay weights arent fantastic 52.5x8, 60x4, 65x3, 70x2x2. Cleans I done 85x8, 95x4, 102.5x3 and at this point I was starting to feel really rubbish and decided to stop. I have since not been right all day as I have a dose of the trots and feel quite light headed.

Not what I would like but there has been a fair bit of this going around. I wont be throwing Monday instead I am going to the Dumbarton to see if I can get the lower back looked at. ANd I am going to get a foam roller too.

The last months training to be honest has been a dogs dinner I ain pleased at all.

Rant Over

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Slow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 1/14/13 at 11:31am
Monday 7th

Back still playing up so went to Dumbarton to see ronnie and he gave the back a little seeing to. This cleared things up a little but I didn't lift or throw so done about half hour on the cycle machine then some dumbell exercise curls, tricep extensions and straight arm shoulder rotation type things

Tuesday 8th

Seen ronnie again and he got the little bugger there was a knot/bulge in the side of my back and he managed to get that softened a little. Then done another half hour of the bike then done bench up to 130 for reps can't remember the amount o sets. Then done some more light dumbell work.

Thursday 10th

Back feeling a good bit better so done some snatch at 60kg 5x5 which felt pretty good then done some front squat for the first time this season and worked up to 120kg for a single. Groin felt slightly tight but I was going right to the deck. Done twenty on the bike and some dumbell work

Saturday 12th

Twenty on the bike then a good warm up and then got the hammer and twenty eight out for some drills. Done 4x10 each side with the 16lb hammer and then about twenty first turn drills with the twenty eight. Hammer needs work but twenty eight felt not bad.

Lifting was snatch 8@50 6@60 4@67.5 4@72.5. Lighter weights feels good but I lose the technique the higher weights.

Clean 8@80 6@90 4@100 3@107.5 felt okay but need to give myself a kick up the backside with these.

Front squat 3x10@60 ass to grass. Groin okay on this. I am seriously thinking of dropping back squat for this just now as I get good ROM on this.

This week I am off on a course with work Tuesday to thursday so the hotel should have a gym tonight when I get the little one to bed is to do some stair sprints in the communal hallway in the flat.

Supposed to do a comp later this week but I think I will have a throw on Friday to see if the back feels okay for the comp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic