FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Cleans: Hang vs Floor - Poliquin Article

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cleans: Hang vs Floor - Poliquin Article
    Posted: 4/11/12 at 12:37pm
Interesting, especially to a guy who almost always cleans from the hang during season.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 12:38am
Meh.

The problem with studies like this is that they consider stuff as a single unit, compared to another single unit as opposed to one single portion of a much greater whole. And they don't even consider, in this case, that you need to get the bar to your waist beforehand anyway. So if you're deadlifting it off the floor, you're going to get all the benefits of the first part of the power clean anyway because, guess what, it's just a deadlift to mid thigh anyway.

Do deadlifts and do your olifting shit from the hang. Simpler, faster, better mechanics and less learning curve.

Gurus do too much mental masturbation sometimes.
Eclipse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eclipse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 3:32am
Originally posted by Sean Sean wrote:

Meh.

Star
"Somewhere in Russia, a little girl is warming up with your max." - Anonymous

"Do not demand what you can not take by force."

Kilted Lancer View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilted Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 4:19am
Couple years ago I decided to all my O-lifts from the floor. Resulted in more injuries and less weight being pulled. Granted it's because I'm technically a disaster from the floor, but without access to a good coach, I never though it to be worth the risk.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Kilted Lancer Kilted Lancer wrote:

Couple years ago I decided to all my O-lifts from the floor. Resulted in more injuries and less weight being pulled. Granted it's because I'm technically a disaster from the floor, but without access to a good coach, I never though it to be worth the risk.

DingDingDing! We have a winner.

I love the olifts. I love olifting. I love doing the lifts. I'll watch it all day long.

I dropped them almost entirely outside of high pulls because the "benefits vs damage" curve wasn't plotting in the quadrant I needed it to.

As with every single exercise in your program, you should be putting the olifts under the microscope and asking yourself "Is this helping me overall or should I modify/drop/train this differently?"

The full olifts are awesome for lots of stuff. But so are a lot of other things with a lot less learning curve and damage potential.
Sean Betz View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

World Champ - ’08

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Betz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 6:00am

Meh.

The problem with studies like this is that they consider stuff as a single unit, compared to another single unit as opposed to one single portion of a much greater whole. And they don't even consider, in this case, that you need to get the bar to your waist beforehand anyway. So if you're deadlifting it off the floor, you're going to get all the benefits of the first part of the power clean anyway because, guess what, it's just a deadlift to mid thigh anyway.

Do deadlifts and do your olifting shit from the hang. Simpler, faster, better mechanics and less learning curve.

I think this is right on.  I think cleans and snatches from the floor are good as well but you will always be limited by what you can pull from the power position(hang).  The highland games is a unique sport where you have many pulling events that are relational to a hang type movement.  I do like Poliquin's articles.  I usually agree with about 95% of what he says.  He also has an article about doing plyometric type olympic lifts helping your olympic lifts, which are basically hang snatches and cleans from below the knee. 
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Highland Games' virtually straight legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/12/12 at 10:48am
The problem with the article is that it contains a lot of "often"s and "tend to"s.  Another issue is that some of the comments regarding ROM are not that relevant if one is doing other exercises, particularly full squats (front or back) and/or deadlift variations from the floor.

My opinion is that both Power Cleans and Hang Cleans are very beneficial movements, but the fact is Hang Cleans are easier to learn and perform properly, but are also more often abused in terms of proper technique in order to maximize the weight lifted at any cost.  The issue seen in Power Cleans tend to involve a physical inability to get into a proper starting postion (lack of mobility/flexibility) and hold this over the course of the first pull, and simple lack of proper technique - particularly in the transition from from first pull to the second pull.  

The bottom line is that (1) you should not go heavy at all on movements you are not capable of performing correctly, either because of a lack of flexibility or a lack of technique, and (2) you should never sacrifice proper (i.e. safe and effective) technique in an attempt to lift more weight.  More people will be able to do Hang Cleans properly and be able to learn the proper technique more easily.  This is even more true when considering snatches.

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/12 at 4:59am

Meh.

I mostly agree with this, particularly the last paragraph, but I wanted to add one thought for consideration: if you can do deadlifts from the floor with good form (which many people cannot for reasons noted previously), you should be able to perform the first pull of a Power Clean, since that is just a relatively light deadlift.  You might still have technical issues, particularly at some point in the transition from the first to the second pull, but you should be physically able to get into the proper positions.  My point is not that everyone should be doing Power Cleans, but rather that not everyone should be doing straight-bar deadlifts from the floor.  Lots of people would benefit from doing them either with a Hex Bar or else off of 2"-6" of mats that allow them to start from the proper position.  Comments?

We do not stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing.

- George Bernard Shaw

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/12 at 5:56am
I'm missing why someone couldn't get into a proper deadlift position with just a bar?
Pingleton View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pingleton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/13/12 at 6:25am
Originally posted by C. Smith C. Smith wrote:

I'm missing why someone couldn't get into a proper deadlift position with just a bar?

Specific flexibility/mobility issues.  I have seen it numerous times, although rarely with young and athletic individuals.  This is the same reason why some people cannot get into a proper squat deep squat position, which is actually quite common for those with very long legs and a short torso.  I am not saying such flexibility issues cannot be addressed, just that some people have them and, if they do, those people should not do deadlifts directly from the floor or squats below the point where they can maintain a proper position. Often these are not the same people by the way.

- George Bernard Shaw

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/12 at 12:39pm
I can see that, although if that was the case my concern would be getting that person flexible/mobile enough to actually do the exercises correctly, as opposed to just putting a band-aid over a big problem by modifying lifts.  
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/14/12 at 12:43pm
Seriously. If your issue is a lack of flexibility picking a bar up off the floor properly, try golf. Or piping.
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/12 at 3:15am
Wow.  This went from from "Rocky Balboa" to "Sit and Be Fit" in record time.  Something of a PR, imo.  Good work, good work.
...Josh
Soul Eater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 4/17/12 at 4:50am
from the floor is always better, unless you have a facility that won't allow you to do Olympic movements. With the invention of crossfit more small places are poppining up that you can do these movments, however they won't allow you to do a strictly oly program. Many Gyms won't allow the Dropping of the bar after a heavy set(s) & rep(s). Dropping is better than catching the bar, I don't care who you are it will beat you up more on the way down. I go from the floor but I can't drop the weight so it changes a few things for me such as weight sets and reps. Damned if you do damned if you don't.
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 3:03pm
Originally posted by Sean Betz Sean Betz wrote:

Meh.

I think this is right on.  I think cleans and snatches from the floor are good as well but you will always be limited by what you can pull from the power position(hang).  The highland games is a unique sport where you have many pulling events that are relational to a hang type movement.  I do like Poliquin's articles.  I usually agree with about 95% of what he says.  He also has an article about doing plyometric type olympic lifts helping your olympic lifts, which are basically hang snatches and cleans from below the knee. 

+1. Do you want to be an Olympic lifter or a great thrower?  To Quote Dan John 'What are your goals'. 
CHAD View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Dangerously Anabolic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CHAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 4:36pm
Can we get a 1 season moratorium on quoting Dan John?  
...Josh
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/01/13 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by CHAD CHAD wrote:

Can we get a 1 season moratorium on quoting Dan John?  
I don't know can you?

Tell you what 1 year on no more Dan John Quotes if you can not bitch or whine about a post for a year. 
matt View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

World Champ - '99 -'03

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/13 at 7:01pm
I always  went from the hang below the knee i don,t know of any throwing position where your bum is that low.Just seems like extra work
brandell View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brandell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 5/02/13 at 7:47pm
Thanks Matt!
LJRed View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 6/01/14 at 4:18pm
Hang Cleans are good, if you bring
the bar to hang position then pause
and proceed. I've watched kids at the
local high school bring the up to hang,
then back to floor? They've lost all
benefit! Try pulling the bar until the
plates are about to break the floor, then
pause and lift!
Larry J Readman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic