Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » Training Logs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

TRAINING LOG: Joshua Siau

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:17pm
as for the priorities and off-season, we haven't set a date yet. we are going to wait until we are sure we can support a new life together. as for the off season, I already have a plan for that; as soon as the season ends I'm going to stay out of the field except for maybe once every other week or so, and focus more on the gym work until Jan/feb. it's worked so far so I plan to stick to it. as for the other thing, I agree about what se said in the bible study, which is why I'm changing what I do and how I behave while on the field. I have to be true to me, and I have to make sure I am enjoying my time there, or what's the point? Thank you so much, Alan, for all the sage advice, and helping me through this decision.
I'm just an idiot, pretending to be smart.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/12/11 at 4:35pm

went back to the gym again, felt really good. I haven't worked out that hard in a long time. I 'm going to try to keep working that hard from now on.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/13/11 at 4:38pm

so, time for the embarrassing starter weights.

bench press 50lbs plus however much the bar is plus chains

deadlift 90lbs plus however much the chain is.

haven't really gotten into much more than that.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/14/11 at 5:17pm
great day in the field with the guys. made a few improvements in hammer and alot of improvement in Sheaf.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 4:18am
so I'm going to try to create a consistant gym routine of Bench Press, kettle bell, squats and deadlifts. can anyone think of anything else I should add or substitute for a highland games regiment? yes I am going to look into getting the book Starter Strength like Sir Craig Smith suggested.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 6:49am
Note that Adriane has commented that incline bench translates better to Stones distance than flat bench. A number of guys say that flat bench just tightens them up.  Finally, once Ryan Vierra told me that he got his flat bench up to some hellacious number... 400+ or something and it didn't do a darned thing for his throwing.

My two cents?  If you wanna bench, do incline bench.

My current program, foisted off on me by Mister Spiderman McCallum is basically:

1.) some kind of deadlift, straight or bent leg, but FAST deadlifts

2.) the squat of my choice, but FAST squats, 10 sets of 3 reps..  I make sure that the load is  not so heavy that I can't get my toes an inch off the floor at the top of the lift.  Be sure to come back down with soft knees, flex 'em to take the load.

That's it. Seriously.  To this I add a push (incline bench) one day and a pull (or two) on the alternate day.  My pulls are usually bench rows, but sometimes I do upright rows.

Gotta do some core. So that means situps or leg lifts...or planks, maybe russian twists.

Don't forget to stretch. Dear lord, don't forget to stretch!!
Duncan McCallum View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan McCallum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:14am
OHP
The man in the arena.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:27am
Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

so I'm going to try to create a consistant gym routine of Bench Press, kettle bell, squats and deadlifts. can anyone think of anything else I should add or substitute for a highland games regiment? yes I am going to look into getting the book Starting Strength like Sir Craig Smith suggested.

I really recommend this.  While everyone is more or less giving solid advice on what to do, you are really in need of a strength base, and that is why I recommended Starting Strength.  It will not only give you proper programming with some linear progression, it will also help solidify your form on the basics (which the actual program and frequency are designed to do).  That's going to be very important years from now.

No need or reason to get fancy with anything at this point. 

C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Alan H Alan H wrote:

Note that Adriane has commented that incline bench translates better to Stones distance than flat bench. A number of guys say that flat bench just tightens them up.  Finally, once Ryan Vierra told me that he got his flat bench up to some hellacious number... 400+ or something and it didn't do a darned thing for his throwing.

My two cents?  If you wanna bench, do incline bench.

My current program, foisted off on me by Mister Spiderman McCallum is basically:

1.) some kind of deadlift, straight or bent leg, but FAST deadlifts

2.) the squat of my choice, but FAST squats, 10 sets of 3 reps..  I make sure that the load is  not so heavy that I can't get my toes an inch off the floor at the top of the lift.  Be sure to come back down with soft knees, flex 'em to take the load.

That's it. Seriously.  To this I add a push (incline bench) one day and a pull (or two) on the alternate day.  My pulls are usually bench rows, but sometimes I do upright rows.

Gotta do some core. So that means situps or leg lifts...or planks, maybe russian twists.

Don't forget to stretch. Dear lord, don't forget to stretch!!

Why would you do SLDLs?  I wouldn't recommend those for anyone.

Why are you recommending FAST lifting for someone like Josh on squats and deads?  It's in line with me wondering wtf he was using chains for bench and dead.   
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 7:57am
Well, Craig you have a good point. Starting out, going super FAST is potentially bad news if he loses control of the weight.  So something more moderate probably makes better sense.  I was really more thinking along the lines of not trying to push weights that are gonna get him hurt.  Having spent a whole season with a really sore knee from pushing my squat weight too quickly, I'm concerned with that.

But you are right.  FAST FAST focus on FAST is probably not the thing to do, starting out. Just like BIG, BIG focus on the BIGGEST weight Josh can move is probably not the thing to do, either.

...and chains?  Why?  Agreed.  I mean, I suppose they can't HURT, (maybe they can??)  but why get that complicated?  No point to it.

---

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings.  BTW, that program ends today, since this is my last gym workout before P'town...got a backpacking vacation coming up.
Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 8:15am
I just looked up the reader reviews for Starting Strength on Amazon.com and uh....

...wow.

I think I might have to own that.
C. Smith View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote C. Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 8:16am

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings. 

RDL > SLDL
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/15/11 at 2:47pm
I brought squats into my workout, but had to take out deadlifts for today.
Sean View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

9th Best in the World - 2010

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 12:46am

Don't worry about speed bench, chains, bands or anything else like that until you stop progressing on regular training.

Craig's right. The RDL is infinitely superior to the SLDL.

Ab work, mobility work (simple 6, agile 8), stick with triples on the big stuff, volume work on dumbells.

Never read Starting Strength, but I havent heard anything bad about it either.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 4:59am

I had a heart-toheart with a good friend on here, and after hearing what he had to say I've decided to scope around and see what are the most common weightlifting exercises on here, to make a new workout plan. it's looking like the new lineup will be

deadlift, squats, hang cleans, incline bench press, Kettlebell for WOB rythm, swimming for aerobics.

no more talk, time to act.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 5:00am
so I see a bunch of people using something, and I want to ask not to use it, but to understand it. I see a bunch of guys pull some blue thing on their knees for while they throw. what is it and what is the purpose of it?
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 5:02am
so as soon as I finish in the gym today I will be back here with my starting rep weights for these events, and my max 1 rep weights for each. see you then.
JasonHamilton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonHamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 6:41am

Josh,

Have you considered the 'Shake Weight'?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonHamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 6:54am

Well, Craig you have a good point. Starting out, going super FAST is potentially bad news if he loses control of the weight.  So something more moderate probably makes better sense.  I was really more thinking along the lines of not trying to push weights that are gonna get him hurt.  Having spent a whole season with a really sore knee from pushing my squat weight too quickly, I'm concerned with that.

But you are right.  FAST FAST focus on FAST is probably not the thing to do, starting out. Just like BIG, BIG focus on the BIGGEST weight Josh can move is probably not the thing to do, either.

...and chains?  Why?  Agreed.  I mean, I suppose they can't HURT, (maybe they can??)  but why get that complicated?  No point to it.

---

The straight leg dead lifts, I believe, are to work hamstrings.  BTW, that program ends today, since this is my last gym workout before P'town...got a backpacking vacation coming up.

I think telling Josh not to worry about fast reps had more to do with him needing to lift heavy on basic comound movements rather than avoiding the possible dangers of said fast reps.

Josh, I think its already been said but stick to the compound movements...5x5 or a 5,3,1 program 2 or 3x / week.

Since I live relatively close, we can go hit the gym together sometime. I'll show you the proper way to do wrist curls in the squat rack.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:11am

just got back from the gym, here are the numbers.

squat: 140lbs x 8 reps, 3 sets

Hang cleans: 20kg x 5 reps, 3 sets

incline bench press: 50lbs x 5 reps, 3 sets

Deadlift: went light with 20kg x 5 reps, 2 sets

didn't do any kettle bell because squats really took it out of me. Plus 3 sets of 12 on a machine which I don't know the name for, coming to a grande total of 100 pulls. I think I'm going to take the machine out of the routine though, I just can't think of what it's contributing.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 10:22am
Originally posted by JasonHamilton JasonHamilton wrote:

Jason I saw that infomercial and thought to myself, "why am I going to waste $30 on that when I have one built in?" I have never been able to take that impliment seriously as a weight building tool. maybe a tone builder, but I don't care about tone, I care about strength. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JasonHamilton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/16/11 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by JSiau10 JSiau10 wrote:

Originally posted by JasonHamilton JasonHamilton wrote:

Jason I saw that infomercial and thought to myself, "why am I going to waste $30 on that when I have one built in?" 

I was j/k but your comment makes me think of a South Park episode...

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/17/11 at 4:26pm
UGH! No training or working out today, got a new job that had me hauling around metal grid around all day in 83 degree weather. I think I sweat off 20 pounds today.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/18/11 at 3:22pm

again didn't get to the gym today. I am definately going tomorrow, If I don't get back soon I will lose my momentum.

Alan H View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic
Account banned.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/11 at 5:46am
#1 ingredient to improvement is going to be commitment.  Miss a day or two in a row? No biggie. Miss 4-5, not so good.  Again, ANY workout, as long as you don't get hurt or really tear down tissue, is better than NO workout.  But if you want solid results, then consistency over the long term is what you have to have.

Don't worry about the weight. The numbers will go up.......

...As long as you're CONSISTENT.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:32am
no I know that, the problem is I am so very ADHD, if I start a habit and stop for a day or two I often don't get started back up again.
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/11 at 8:37am

I've been visiting my old friend Youtube, and after a few hours of quality time, I went out to a nearby baseball diamond in a park, and got the sheaf over the backdrop. maybe 16 feet up, but that's still better than my current recorded throw.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/19/11 at 12:35pm

I figured out what I'm going to focus on the next two months:sheaf toss, weight over bar, and Heavy weight for distance.

JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/21/11 at 12:09pm
definately doing better with sheaf
JSiau10 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSiau10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/01/11 at 4:43pm
well, Hood Canal is this weekend. looks like I only have tomorrow night to get in a little more practice, then next weekend is Kelso.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic