Nasgaweb Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home » Nasgaweb Forums » A.D.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Database

scottishheavyphotographs.com Old Celt Equipment

Sheaf standards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proudcelt52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sheaf standards
    Posted: 8/09/10 at 3:38am

I am tired of borrowing everyone's uprights, Can anyone give me a working plan on how to construct my own and where I might get the materials?

Mark Cannon

214-675-2829

FB:Texas Celtic Athletic Assc.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" Samuel Adams
WALLY.OLECIK View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WALLY.OLECIK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/09/10 at 11:26am
go to the top of this page, click on "search" and then do a search for sheaf uprights.  There's a butt-load of info there!!
16lb-hammer(at)sshga.org

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no 'try!'" Yoda
weaselking View Drop Down
Postaholic
Postaholic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weaselking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/10 at 1:46am
From my experience, searching the forums for the past few years has yielded more failure than success.  Timing-out has become the norm.

Sheaf standards:

After the ones I made of cement float handles (6' long & $22 apiece) didn't survive the winter, I made some of top rail (10.5', $15 apiece).  Pretty easy to drill holes in & light.  You'll have to find a way to brace the joints, as these are not tight enough to provide sufficient support.  I made clamshell braces out of green fence posts (the types used for temporary fencing).

Once upright, I use 2 conduit struts for support.  I anchor them about 7' up, so the conduit should be around 9-10' long.  No guy wires at the top needed for the heights I'm using.  This may not be true the higher you go.

Then you need a couple of ropes, pulleys, & cross bar.
We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality. - Ayn Rand
proudcelt52 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote proudcelt52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/10/10 at 3:59pm
Thank you both. I see a trip to Home Depot in the near future.
FB:Texas Celtic Athletic Assc.

"It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds" Samuel Adams
mcdonl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcdonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8/22/10 at 3:28am
Well, I have used ladders, top rail and various other "materials" and I have to say that a 40' ladder, with a uni-strut attachment for a top bar (Functional height of about 36' or so....) and another bar that can be attached lower for WOB events.

I have a top rail rig, it is 26' tall but it just seems wobbly. If it were 20' it would be perfect. I think that next year I will  have a 40' ladder rig, a 30' ladder rig and a 20 top rail.

It is a challenge though that's for sure.

Leroy McDonough
Detroitpete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Detroitpete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 9/09/10 at 9:33am
You HAVE to check out the sweet standards that Dale Gehman put together.
They're made out of PVC, strong, light and portable. Give him a PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic